Leisure batteries not charging?

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by billyr, Dec 1, 2012.

1. billyr

billyr Read Only Funster

Hi

I have an Autotrail Miami. My alternator has stopped charging my leisure batteries? The vehicle battery is OK. Not only has it stopped charging but something is draining the batteries. I suspect it might be the relay fuse but can't find it? Just don't know....?

Billy

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What chassis ?

First place to look is next to the starter battery, spot thick wires running to the habitation area.

I seem to recall one relay in the glove box of a Ford.

3. billyr

billyr Read Only Funster

Thanks. Its on a Renault Master.

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

It sounds like you have two problems.
    although it is vaguely possible that mice have chewed the electrics causing a short and interrupting the charge from the split charge relay. the fuse or relay is probably shot.
    There are a number of standing "drains on the leisure batteries, internal resistance, radio backup, alarm etc, 12V supply to fridge may be live if the relay has a short. Any number of things can cause the drain.
    1st determine the amount of current drain using your multimeter.
    2nd check all wires coming from your engine battery to the charge relays (usually 2, 1 for fridge and one for split charging). If any of this does not make sense to you then you need a mobile motorhome mechanic, I am not sure who is in your area (Nottingham) maybe someone else can advise. lots are members here.

5. billyr

billyr Read Only Funster

I only had it serviced 2 weeks ago and had no problems before. Only since. Spent 3 hrs yesterday back at the service dealer and they couldn't find it. Have to take it back next week - but I did think that one someone might have had the same experience?

Billy

6. the wanderer

the wanderer Read Only Funster

leisure bat not charging

hi i had same prob with fiat ducato was a breake in wire loom under bonnet at the bulkhead its a thin green wire rejoined wire prob sorted hope that helps u:BigGrin:

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I had a problem like the one you describe, in a Fiat Ducato, and the fridge wasn't working on 12v either - have you checked that? What is your control panel telling you about your engine battery voltage?

In my case a faulty Earth connection on the engine battery was causing the fuse board (and control panel) to register a lower voltage than it should have done. Consequently it was blocking 12v current to the fridge and leisure battery because it was trying to preserve the maximum possible voltage for the engine battery. The problem was to some extent offset by our having a solar panel, but we still needed 12v on the fridge when travelling.

I was told that the fuse board had been damaged by this fault and I had to pay £200 for a replacement, plus labour. I'm planning to have the board diagnostically checked by its maker to see if it was actually faulty or not.

Another possibility is that a fuse may have blown somewhere in your leisure battery charging circuit. Again, this happened to me. It was a heavy duty in-line blade fuse under the driver's seat but what exactly it was connected to I don't know.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. billyr

billyr Read Only Funster

I have just been up to the campervan storage and checked all the fuses nearest to the battery - under the seat behind the passenger. Bingo - 20v fuse blown. Replaced - started the engine and all good. Brilliant. Thank you all for the help, better than the dealer who couldn't find.........

9. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

Great story, perfect example of how we can help each other, well done all.:thumb: