LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How long should a leisure battery hold charge for when it's NOT being used i.e. just parked up ?.

Clarify -- do you mean parked or disconnected -- *huge* difference in modern vans ?

Disconnected = months.

Parked = just about anything.

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I mean parked up at home.
Say we have used it and then just park it up for a week or so and then it's flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I mean parked up at home.
Say we have used it and then just park it up for a week or so and then it's flat.

With modern vans that have computer controlled everything and security no-one can guess how long the charge should hold.

Let's have some facts, van type, age, battery size, battery age. Any known gadgets on the leisure battery ?

OP
OP
G

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well it's a Fiat Ducato 2008 reg. Ci Carioca.
It has the usual control panel and all standard appliances. I think it's an 85 Ahr battery.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well it's a Fiat Ducato 2008 reg. Ci Carioca.
It has the usual control panel and all standard appliances. I think it's an 85 Ahr battery.

Now we wait for a CI owner, I've no idea what the electrics are like. At that age I can guess that it's got a computer display to control it so that is one big load ( when considered over weeks ) on the battery.

Battery should be good at that age provided it's kept topped up, the charger is OK and you've not let it deep discharge.

Only way to test the battery is pull one lead off and test after a week, provided this does not lose and settings on the computer.

PS - ours is left permanently connected at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our Hymer lives outside and the roof-top solar panel keeps the leisure battery fully charged.

You need to check that the leisure battery is indeed the correct type. Although most good quality starter batteries will accept deep discharge these days, they haven't always been good for that so a different type of battery was developed for marine and caravan leisure use, recognising that such betteries were often discharged fully and then recharged - on a regular basis. This would cause the plates in old lead/acid batteries to deteriorate to a state where they would not accept a charge.

My leisure battery is 110 amps which seems to give us lots of power for lights, TV and radio. The solar panel is pretty much a necessity, though, when the vehicle spends lengthy periods parked up. Or connecting the mains so that the internal charger keeps the batteries charged.

The age, condition and type of battery has a bearing, too.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
checked ours tonight.
its an 85 ah battery with the shraudt control unit and we also have the Alde heating control panel on.

we returned from our trip to scotland on sunday the van has been stood unconnected and we have not even been in the van since i parked it.
tonight the battery monitor said 45% so i would guess from that mine will last around 10 days.:cry::cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back