Lego Land Denmark

Discussion in 'Denmark Norway Sweden Finland' started by Mattyjwr, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We're thinking of going to Legoland, Denmark over the summer. Has anyone been? How does it compare to the UK Legoland? How long would a normal visit last? What is the countryside in the surrounding area like? Is it worth going on to Copenhagen? If so, is there much to see in Malmo in Sweden?

We have 3 weeks over the summer and are planning our trip. Boy 1 would like to learn German so we thought that we would spend some of holiday in Germany with short excursions into Denmark, Poland & possibly the Czech republic, all depending on time and the weather; if the weather is good, we will staying the North including Legoland but want to see how worthwhile it is.

Cheers

2. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Legoland, no knowledge Matty, Copenhagen, Tivoli Gardens, brilliant, the ice cream shop near the entrance produces the best I have ever had anywhere. Your children, whatever age they may be are well catered for. Plenty of other touristy things to do and Tourist Info centres are superb with lots of info in English. Denmark is reputedly the happiest nation on Earth and it shows. Malmo is not a bad city, and the Denmark/Sweden bridge/tunnel is not cheap but worth doing once each way imo.
    Czech Republic, Prague a bit too touristy (still lots of noisy Brit hen and stag parties on weekends) now but still much to see and do but how long your children would remain happy only you know. Germany...anywhere is good but Bavaria is brilliant in many different ways. Loved living in Germany.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Take plenty cash.

Legoland is awesome but I was there over 25 years ago so might be out of date.

I do remember being too old to go on some of the activities and having to stand and watch my brother have all the fun..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattyjwr

Boy 1 is 12, boy 2 is 5. I believe that it will cost around £100 for the admission. I'm wondering how ling boy 1 would continue to enjoy lego and, therefore, how soon we need to get there. If the weather is good, I think that I would like to go further into Sweden but if it is poor, we may save it for next year. How do costs in Denmark compare to the UK?

5. Bertie Bassett

It's currently about 9.50 Dkr to the £ which is an extra kronk from last year, so far so good, normal Scandinavian things, alcohol expensive, I don't suppose your little'uns would fancy a trip round the Carlsberg Brewery, shame the tasting's well worth it. Meals out not cheap but it depends on what and where, fish dishes always better priced than meat.
    Still to stop we wibbling on Matty try this link.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Denmark&city=Copenhagen

• Like Like x 1
  6. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Went to Legoland 15 years ago & stayed on a campsite opposite. Denmark was very expensive but we didn't stay there long (4 nights if I remember) cos the weather was pants. We came back into Germany & the weather improved, went to Warner Brothers Movie World near Essen (I think) , then back into Holland to De Efteling not far from Eindhoven. Turned into an expensive holiday but one the kids still remember greatly - they called it our Theme Park holiday!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattyjwr

We will stock up on food and drink before entering Denmark and this would be the second theme park that we've been to - hoping that it will be worthwhile. I would prefer the countryside but swmbo is a lego fan so I'll go along in sufferance. I feel a bit guilty about just going to Denmark to see legoland but haven't found any main attractions away from the plastic toys and peeing boy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bertie Bassett

Wonderful beaches empty on weekdays too.

9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

One of my earliest memories is De Efteling. What an amazing place.

10. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Hi Matty,

Denmark is beautiful, clean and very flat. Lots of lovely little towns and villages, beautiful beaches, LOADS of cycle paths. I think the problem for you will be keeping your two boys entertained! We did not go to Legoland or Copenhagen and from memory I believe Malmo won't hold up much promise.

The bridge is AWESOME but expensive (£37 under 6 metres, double this over 6 metres).

If your boys are into fishing and /or boats then plenty to see and do especially in Sweden.

On the way to Denmark Flensburg in Germany on the border is very nice.

Oh and when buying diesel keep an eye out on the prices..... they go UP and DOWN throughout the day by as much as 10% :eek:

If it helps in anyway have a look at my Scandinavia Blog

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mattyjwr

I didn't know that so much of Denmark is so flat .... It looks as though we will have to spend longer on another trip to make the most of that area.

12. KalleiViken

KalleiViken Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We have relations in Denmark, on Jylland and Saelland so know the country reasonably well although not with the motorhome. Driving is wonderfully relaxing and the beaches accessible and clean. Copenhagen well worth a visit, a compact city you can walk round or take a canal tour. Go to Nyhavn on the waterfront with its heritage harbour, old wooden barges and Hanseatic buildings and restaurants. Not cheap as said but worth seeing. If you're camped outside the city trains are the way in.

Nyhavn.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. KalleiViken

KalleiViken Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mattyjwr

We are here and.just about to have day 2 at Legoland - there is so much to do and one day wasn't long enough. Two adults and two kids for 2 days is approx £170 (without early booking discount) - not cheap but it is entertaining.

We came up via Ribe and will return to Germany via the east coast. We would like to go further east but on another occasion - it is too grey here so we are heading south ASAP.

On our way up, we visited Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg - it was excellent and could have kept me entertained for the whole afternoon had the boys been able to cope with more than 2.5 hrs there.

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I love Lego and I'm the wrong side of 60. Can I come instead, if he doesn't want to go?
    But from my experience of Denmark with small kids there isn't a huge amount to do with them there other than visit beaches, for which you need the weather, and it is northern Europe....

17. Mattyjwr

Boy 1 loved yesterday - it appears that the age range for activities is much greater than expected. Fun for all ages :)

• Like Like x 1