Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone please confirm for me as to wether or not it's legal to carry a passenger in the rear of a MH in a cross facing seat. Thanks in anticipation of any help

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I don't know if it is legal or not but it isn't safe.

I refuse to use those seats on buses.

OP
OP
Phil65

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes I realise they are not safe and that it is probably moraly wrong to use them. But as you say there are seats on our buses that have cross facing seats. Can you legally carry a passenger in them though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Presume you are talking about seats with no belt. Depends on when your vehicle was registered; before Sept(?) 2007 it's supposedly legal but the police may prosecute for an unsafe load. Whether or not it's safe is entirely up to you but almost everybody who's been asked to comment states quite categorically that it is extremely unwise. I certainly wouldn't do it, despite it actually being legal in my vehicle.

The experts also say that sideways facing seats with belts are inherently dangerous in the event of an accident.

You are talking about a completely different usage when comparing bus seats - speeds, length of journey etc. You do get buses, specifically those used in school transport, fitted with belts but, speaking as an ex PCV driver, I've not seen sideways seats in those particular vehicles.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The chances are your insurance will be invalidated if you carry a passenger in an unbelted seat.

I think, emphasise on think, that an adult could be carried in such a seat in a van built before a particular date but not in recent vans but as I say the insurance stops you carrying more passengers than there are belted seats.

Minors are an absolute no no legally and have to be in belted seats.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
.................. probably considerably safer than riding a scooter or motorcycle though :reel: :whistle2:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So..in answer it's legal. ( so long as it's not children requiring car seats as these have to be forward or rear facing)

But there may be other issues or concerns

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So..in answer it's legal. ( so long as it's not children requiring car seats as these have to be forward or rear facing)

But there may be other issues or concerns

I 'think' even children is legal providing there is no choice.. I.e if there are belted seats the children must be in those and the adult in the unbelted..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
isn't this yet another bonkers twist in our laws, buses are still being built and filled with passengers fitted with seating options ruled dangerous and illegal to use in a MH

and on a similar theme but excuse the mini hijack, I have recently noticed that bus drivers seem to be exempt from seat belt laws, I have been looking at our local buses and am yet to see one wearing one

Reactions: JJ

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
.................. probably considerably safer than riding a scooter or motorcycle though :reel: :whistle2:

Clearly from a non biker who knows nothing about the subject. Motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars, it is the person behind the bars (or wheel) that is the danger.

And I didn't get reeled in, but felt I had to comment :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars,

Are you sure?

I feel sure a higher percentage of motorcyclists die on the roads than do car drivers...

• Motorcyclists were about 26 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled in 2013 and five times more likely to be injured, according to NHTSA.

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Are you sure?

I feel sure a higher percentage of motorcyclists die on the roads than do car drivers...

• Motorcyclists were about 26 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled in 2013 and five times more likely to be injured, according to NHTSA.

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

Oh statistics, of course they can prove anything can't they. How about you give us the statistic for crossing the road and then perhaps we will all avoid it as it is by far the most dangerous thing any of us does :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was merely questioning your statement,

"motor cycles are no more dangerous than cars"

..I was not including all the other dangers in this world of ours.

The fact that crossing the road is dangerous, does not alter whether motorbikes are more dangerous than cars or not.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
The point is that the danger is not the vehicle it is the operator. A gun is only dangerous when in the hands of someone who shoots people with it. A car or indeed a motorhome may be more dangerous than a motorcycle if the car is being driven by a very inexperienced or bad driver and the motorcycle is being ridden by me. However, statistics do not prove whether something is inherently more dangerous than something else

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the whole motorcycles are as safe as cars and only dependant on the rider or driver is total bull. would you be more injured in a car or on a bike in a high speed collision (not the fault of rider or driver)?

back to the thread, if designated travel seats with belts are fitted these must be used. its the same as travelling with more people in a car than there are seatbelts. you will get charged with an offence in an accident and wont be insured

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back