Legal Or Not.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Phil65, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Phil65

Phil65 Funster

Can anyone please confirm for me as to wether or not it's legal to carry a passenger in the rear of a MH in a cross facing seat. Thanks in anticipation of any help

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I don't know if it is legal or not but it isn't safe.

I refuse to use those seats on buses.

3. Phil65

Phil65 Funster

Yes I realise they are not safe and that it is probably moraly wrong to use them. But as you say there are seats on our buses that have cross facing seats. Can you legally carry a passenger in them though.

4. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Presume you are talking about seats with no belt. Depends on when your vehicle was registered; before Sept(?) 2007 it's supposedly legal but the police may prosecute for an unsafe load. Whether or not it's safe is entirely up to you but almost everybody who's been asked to comment states quite categorically that it is extremely unwise. I certainly wouldn't do it, despite it actually being legal in my vehicle.

The experts also say that sideways facing seats with belts are inherently dangerous in the event of an accident.

You are talking about a completely different usage when comparing bus seats - speeds, length of journey etc. You do get buses, specifically those used in school transport, fitted with belts but, speaking as an ex PCV driver, I've not seen sideways seats in those particular vehicles.

5. Abacist

Abacist Funster

The chances are your insurance will be invalidated if you carry a passenger in an unbelted seat.

I think, emphasise on think, that an adult could be carried in such a seat in a van built before a particular date but not in recent vans but as I say the insurance stops you carrying more passengers than there are belted seats.

Minors are an absolute no no legally and have to be in belted seats.

6. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

.................. probably considerably safer than riding a scooter or motorcycle though :reel: :whistle2:

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

So..in answer it's legal. ( so long as it's not children requiring car seats as these have to be forward or rear facing)

But there may be other issues or concerns

8. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I 'think' even children is legal providing there is no choice.. I.e if there are belted seats the children must be in those and the adult in the unbelted..

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

isn't this yet another bonkers twist in our laws, buses are still being built and filled with passengers fitted with seating options ruled dangerous and illegal to use in a MH

and on a similar theme but excuse the mini hijack, I have recently noticed that bus drivers seem to be exempt from seat belt laws, I have been looking at our local buses and am yet to see one wearing one

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We see buses at peak period a round here with all seats full and walk ways full of people standing so how is that right safe or legal ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

Clearly from a non biker who knows nothing about the subject. Motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars, it is the person behind the bars (or wheel) that is the danger.

And I didn't get reeled in, but felt I had to comment :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. JJ

JJ Funster

Are you sure?

I feel sure a higher percentage of motorcyclists die on the roads than do car drivers...

• Motorcyclists were about 26 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle mile traveled in 2013 and five times more likely to be injured, according to NHTSA.

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

JJ :cool:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  14. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

Oh statistics, of course they can prove anything can't they. How about you give us the statistic for crossing the road and then perhaps we will all avoid it as it is by far the most dangerous thing any of us does :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. JJ

JJ Funster

I was merely questioning your statement,

"motor cycles are no more dangerous than cars"

..I was not including all the other dangers in this world of ours.

The fact that crossing the road is dangerous, does not alter whether motorbikes are more dangerous than cars or not.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

The point is that the danger is not the vehicle it is the operator. A gun is only dangerous when in the hands of someone who shoots people with it. A car or indeed a motorhome may be more dangerous than a motorcycle if the car is being driven by a very inexperienced or bad driver and the motorcycle is being ridden by me. However, statistics do not prove whether something is inherently more dangerous than something else

• Like Like x 1
  17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

So using your logic and JJ's statistics then you are saying that motorcycles are only more dangerous because of the poor rider?

18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the whole motorcycles are as safe as cars and only dependant on the rider or driver is total bull. would you be more injured in a car or on a bike in a high speed collision (not the fault of rider or driver)?

back to the thread, if designated travel seats with belts are fitted these must be used. its the same as travelling with more people in a car than there are seatbelts. you will get charged with an offence in an accident and wont be insured