Left or right hand drive? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are RHD and cope fine abroad, most of the comments on here effectively say the same, whether LHD or RHD you have to 'cope' with the 'wrong' side at some point in the journey, those living by a UK port and never doing UK touring possibly excepted

we have an A class RHD drive with offisde drivers door, no nearside passenger door, but we never use it, always preferring the habitation door

other commercial decisions may have a greater impact on the choice, initial purchase price, resale etc but if you have my luck whatever I am selling the market doesn't want

Personally I would always chose RHD mainly as we still do at least as much UK driving as continental, and when abroad it is easier to keep well in to the side with RHD, some of the roads seem very narrow with very fast oncoming lorries, or over taking lorries in many cases, even when we are doing 56mph on their A roads

a very personal choice, there is no right or wrong answer

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Had a few LHD VW vans in the past and a motorhome, only issues I found were tool booth/barrier type things, but could just scoot across easy (if no passenger to do the deed). In the motorhome there was no window just behind the passenger door which made looking to see traffic at some junctions, if I had to pull up at an angle, sometimes tricky. But on the whole no bother. With drive thru's you wouldn't get a motorhome in due to height barrier. But if in a lefty alone you just go in backwards.

That's not a euthinism btw.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
No probs in LHD over here in England, it's easy as you mind ( if you have been driving in England for ever like me!!) is used to driving on the left. Plus, your not in race in a camper:cool:
Plus, the savings that CAN be made, make it a no brainer if you buy abroad....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a right hand drive Hymer A class with 2 doors at the front and have no problem driving in Europe.

Hymie.
That's a rare beast not heard of or seen one. Since we have had our A Class, I like not having a passenger door makes the cab more usable.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
You pay your money and take your chance, I drive a RHD and find it very easy drive on the Continent but as I say it's your choice. (y)
I find exactly he same. Have no problems driving RHD abroad and, as most of the LHD guys will say, they have no problems in the UK. (y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I find exactly he same. Have no problems driving RHD abroad and, as most of the LHD guys will say, they have no problems in the UK. (y)

I will stick to RHD .. my left hand has muscle memory for gear sticks, my right doesn't. I have no issues driving the camper in the continent as I'm never of a mind to overtake anything other than in motorways.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For ME... my theory is I have enough to think about when driving abroad without sitting on a different side with gearstick /handbrake on 'wrong side' but I do drive most of my working day so would take me more to get use to the change.
Handbrake will be on the same side as a RHD car to the left of drivers seat. For gears just get an auto.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hymer LHD no issues, preffered by myself find it most relaxing.(y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I think a lot of people answering here are couples and have a passenger onboard who is doing Some of the looking for the driver.

My experience OF driving 14000 miles in Europe In my Elddis about 80% OF the time on my own Is RHD can be difficult on your own.

Before I set a wheel in Europe I Installed 3 ebay reversing cameras down the passenger side and rear of the van all on permanently. There is a huge blind spot on the Elddis/Boxer van When Using it In Europe and the cameras Were invaluable.

I would not contemplate driving in Europe solo In a RHD MH without side and rear cameras.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks for your replies.
By choice I am referring to the limited amount of LHD Hymers our local dealer gets in (Becks in norfolk)
At the open day today he said they have very few - which get snapped up. And he didn't have a single one in to show us.
We thought of buying locally as we 'll be coming home (n norfolk) a few times a year and it'd be handy for repairs and checks etc.
Isn't it a tremendous faff buying one abroad and importing it?
Maybe the thread I read exaggerated how complex it is
Would value opinions on this as it does sound a terrific saving.
Do you just hop on a plane to Frankfurt or somewhere with a packed case ready for living in the mojo?

Hi, we got our van from Becks, and traded in a German van, a class euramobil fully insulated with double floor, but right hand drive, so its worth keep looking. Bob.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
One point which may be worth noting regarding LH drive vans is one which we have encountered with our insurance company who when we questioned the cost of our insurance said that they loaded it because the vehicle is LH drive. Mick then said if that is the case what happens when RH vehicles are driven in Europe do they then increase their insurance accordingly, the comment was "we never thought about that". When we asked why they load LH vehicles the answer was well you are more likely to have an accident in the UK . What a load of RUBBISH !!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi ours is a RH drive no probs, you do need a good co pilot on some junctions to see the traffic other than that ok, we had an hire car for two weeks at Marjal LH drive and kept getting far to close to parked vehicles and ditches lol . Pete

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
One point which may be worth noting regarding LH drive vans is one which we have encountered with our insurance company who when we questioned the cost of our insurance said that they loaded it because the vehicle is LH drive. Mick then said if that is the case what happens when RH vehicles are driven in Europe do they then increase their insurance accordingly, the comment was "we never thought about that". When we asked why they load LH vehicles the answer was well you are more likely to have an accident in the UK . What a load of RUBBISH !!
Very true, I think exactly the opposite is the case, at least in the UK with a LHD road signs road systems and rules should be familiar and making things a little easier. Exactly the opposite in a RHD in Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back