Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs
Hi,
I am just starting to look for a motorhome and will be a complete newbie. I have seen one possible the only problem is it is LHD.

I think that in the first year most of our camping will be UK based do you think LHD would be a bad idea, I am used to driving large vehicles but am concerned about visibility on dual c/way and also regards resale possibilities in a few years time.

Thanks in advance

JETTTDT

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Resale may be your main problem as I think many brits have misgivings about driving left hookers. Me , no problem , never been a truck driver but driving my lhd rv is a breeze , apiece of cake.

Upvote 0

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Firstly, hello and welcome to Motorhome FUN.

I cant see this being a problem, I think most motor homers, especially those who are retired and now enjoying life, spend the summer in the UK and see family (RHD Requied) and then spend winter in warmer climates (LHD Required).

So I don't think it really matters it down to the individual(s) who have to drive the MH

Good luck and happy travels:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If the price is right personally don't see a problem, like yourself have driven commercials from large to small and many miles one up on the continent looking out from the wrong side.
Usually add an extra rear view mirror as an extra precaution.
If you go for it - enjoy. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
I am just starting to look for a motorhome and will be a complete newbie. I have seen one possible the only problem is it is LHD.
JETTTDT

LHD does not seem to be a big issue, in fact some seek out LHD because place to really enjoy motorhomes is over there.

We drive over there a lot and RHD is not an issue. Generally these big lumps are too big and thirsty to be looking for overtaking and what bit you need to do can be spotted by the passenger, assuming you have one.

All you can do is find similar MHs in RHD and compare pricing.

Upvote 0

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
The main thing to driving a wrong hand drive vehicle is to have your mirrors set correctly

The first couple of days will feel awkward maybe a bit scary but you'll soon get used to it :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jettdt

Free Member
Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs
Thanks for the quick replies, difficult to know how much I am saving but its about 20% cheaper than new. If that was just because it was LHD then that would be a good saving but it is also an ex demo and not the latest spec so throwing that into the mix makes it difficult to compare.

Never mind if it was easy it would not be so interesting researching it all.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
20% off the price of a new rhd is a terrible deal ; I looked at buying a LHD used vehicle when in england last year , deals were available at maybe 20% off the price of the same vehicle with rhd , so 20% off 20% off would be more like it ie 36% off

lhd vehicles are fetching such low prices in the uk at present that someone I know came from spain 3 months ago to buy one , much cheaper than he could get in the lhd countries

I suggest you look through the private ad's and compare equivilent prices which are being advertised on lhd and rhd which

as someone here said , lots of people in uk wouldn't buy a lhd vehicle ; as an experienced vehicle it shouldn't bother you one little bit !

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
20% off the price of a new rhd is a terrible deal ; I looked at buying a LHD used vehicle when in england last year , deals were available at maybe 20% off the price of the same vehicle with rhd , so 20% off 20% off would be more like it ie 36% off

lhd vehicles are fetching such low prices in the uk at present that someone I know came from spain 3 months ago to buy one , much cheaper than he could get in the lhd countries

I suggest you look through the private ad's and compare equivilent prices which are being advertised on lhd and rhd which

as someone here said , lots of people in uk wouldn't buy a lhd vehicle ; as an experienced driver
it shouldn't bother you one little bit !

Upvote 0

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi,

I think that in the first year most of our camping will be UK based do you think LHD would be a bad idea, I am used to driving large vehicles but am concerned about visibility on dual c/way and also regards resale possibilities in a few years time.

Thanks in advance

JETTTDT

Hi Jettdt and welcome,
im new here to on my first motorhome a LHD Hymer.
Not been a problem with visibility on dual c?ways only a slight problem sometimes pulling out of turnings seeing to the right but soon got used to positioning my self different not a problem when you have the boss with you:ROFLMAO:.
Cant quote on resale.
Go for it and enjoy
Cheers Min :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jettdt

Free Member
Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs

as someone here said , lots of people in uk wouldn't buy a lhd vehicle ; as an experienced driver
it shouldn't bother you one little bit !

So do you think it is still possible to get 20% of a new rhd, or do you mean ex demos??

Upvote 0

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
If its any help we bought a LHD as most of our holidays are taken abroad and its easier to drive with the steering wheel on the right side (left side) if you know what I mean, if when we are over here its a lot easier to drive as we are more familiar with everyday driving here and when we want to sell it, we will go to europe.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
LHD drive should not be a problem, just remember you have to be on the nearside in the UK, if your not. you are on the wrong side of the road!:cry:

We are dipping our toes into LHD's to see if therei is any demand, got a couple in stock at the moment including an unregistered demo with £13,000 off new price!

Peter

Upvote 0

Empgamer

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
SW Wales
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We are dipping our toes into LHD's to see if therei is any demand, got a couple in stock at the moment including an unregistered demo with £13,000 off new price!

Peter

What make? Cancel that. Found it on your site. Shame its a transverse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Empgamer

Free Member
Feb 9, 2010
SW Wales
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Might be interested in an LHD 669 ::bigsmile:

Always liked the Kontiki. Just really but off by some of the build quality issues that have been aired and also the Fiat judder issue. I'm not sure where they stand on winterisation either?

It's these issues that drive me towards Rapido and Burstner to be honest (that and the plans to live in France where a French MH might be more easily maintained/serviced.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No problem with LHD in my view - much easier 'over there' and easy to adapt 'over here'. Also, if buying German / French, having the conversion to RHD often means you have no driver's door and the gas locker / storage cabinet takes up right-side elbow room - that's in an A-class.

Only real issues in UK are ensuring you have adequate blind-spot cover with mirrors, but then you'd need to do that in reverse for continental touring anyway, and turning left at T-junctions: all about positioning as previously mentioned.

When we bought ours, we wanted a LHD and there did not seem to be much of a discount, but perhaps that's because it's not a very common van here anyway. The dealer happened to have two at the time: one RHD on a 416 chassis with Sprint-shift semi-auto and ours on a 316 chassis with full torque-converter auto. Same age - both were the same price.

Philip

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
LHD or RHD......doesnt really matter as you're up above most other traffic and can see over them.

stuck behind a coach/bus/HGV etc can be a bit daunting when you need to pull out but if you're far enough behind you get a forward view far enough ahead to see whats coming and can nip back in if neccessary.

tailgate a coach etc and you've no chance of pulling out.

Upvote 0

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We always specify LHD as we spend most of our driving / camping time abroad (we feel a darn site more welcome over there).

The 1st time you take a left hooker on the road it does seem strange but the best bit of advice I got was: Have your n/s mirror angled slightly down so that you can see the edge of the road and for the 1st few miles keep checking your distance from the edge. Yoe will be surprised at hoe far away you will tend to drive as you will be used to being in the middle of the road. Better still have the O/h sitting in the passenger seat - when he / she starts screaming you know you have wandered out too far.

The 1st leftie we bought was from Hayes and we drove straight from there to the Stratford show - You learn quickly where you should be when driving round Birmingham in rush hour.

On resale value there seems to be a bit of a north south divide. ( I note you are on the south coast). Having spoken to a few dealers about it, it would appear that dealers in the south east have little problem in selling a leftie whereas those in the north are not as interested in them. We have not found it a problem though in trading our 'vans at a reasonable price.

We will be picking up our new 'van on 1st March from a German dealer and we did a very good p/x deal there - they certainly would not have been interested had we a RHD to exchange so having a leftie also gives you the option when it comes to trade in to do the deal abroad.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one word of caution if buying a LHD and its a manual box..........buy a pair of heavy gloves.

first day or two each trip you'll get sick of skinning your left knuckles on the door handle when you go to change gear......and when you get back in your car the same happens but on the right hand.

:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Had LHD drive & wouldn't be concerned about buying another as we do go to Europe a bit. The downside is they can be a bit more difficult to sell & you would probably get a bit less than the equivalent RHD. Found that turning right could be a bit awkward unless I was square on at the junction unless looking left was almost impossible, but that might have been just that van. Overtaking is awkward unless you have a passenger to look for you, did think about fitting a cheap reversing type camera facing forward to be able to see.

If I was buying a LHD I would probably get one from Germany as I think there are better deals to be had there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jettdt

Free Member
Feb 5, 2010
south coast
Funster No
MH
tbc
Exp
0 yrs
Thanks guys I am going to have to arrange a drive to see how I get on with it, certainly my concerns are less than when I first saw this model.

I think the way people feel about lhd cars worried me a little but with these vehicles it seems less of an issue.

Upvote 0

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
LHD not a problem really you just have to be careful to concentrate on how you drive and not take any chances I would advise on fitting and adjusting correct mirrors especially on the RHD side of the vehicle and another handy mirror is the kerb mirror fitted over the front RHD side corner so you can see the bottom corner of the vehicle from the drivers seat.

See here

iw3ep0.jpg

If you look closely you can see the extended step in this pic.

1zyisya.jpg

Regards Pat

Upvote 0

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
LHD is great !

If you don't buy the LHD you are considering, let me know where it is. My mate is on the lookout for a good LHD deal.
We bought our LHD 2 years ago. We did not want a RHD because when you are in the UK you know where you want to be on the road, roundabouts, lanes etc. driving on auto pilot. However, when you are on the continent LHD just makes life so much easier.
For example, if you come to a large roundabout or a junction where you need to give way to your LEFT, you have a clear view, whereas if you are in a RHD you might struggle to see.
Besides, RHD puts your partner out in the middle of the road facing oncoming traffic over there. If my partner is anything to go by.......... quieter with LHD !
If you think about how much easier it is driving a foriegn hire car over there compared to taking your own car over it may give you a clue which you feel more comfortable in.
I would highly recommend LHD if you intend to holiday abroad, as we do. We mostly only drive down south on motorways where left or right hand makes little or no difference.
If you intend to spend more time in the cold, damp UK, then RHD would be best !
Lastly, don't worry about it, you'll love everything about it !
Happy motoring,
Denny. :Cool:

Upvote 0

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Lhd p.s.

P.S. I forgot to say, a LHD vehicle should have the side door opening onto the pavement when abroad which is much safer when shopping etc.
With regard to the point about positioning on the road as a new left hand driver, I did start off driving a bit far away from the kerb in the UK. I soon discovered that I was worrying too much about it and all was well when I stopped looking at the distance from the kerb and started looking down the road ahead, as you would normally drive !
Denny. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back