Left Hand Drive

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by GetawayGerry, Jun 17, 2009.

1. GetawayGerry

GetawayGerry Read Only Funster

How do people get on with Right Hand Drive motohomes in Europe?
    Have people bought LHD motorhomes because they intended mainly to use it on the continent?
    Is there increased insurance agro/cost in having a LHD. They ask about modifications don’t they and I assume a LHD would not be standard.

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as its produced by the manufacturer how can it not be standard if you convert then its not standard but modified. some ins. ask some dont. not a problem drivng anywhere. as more countries in the world hace lefthand drive rh drive is very often a factory mod. causes lots of problems when working on some factory rhd because of this. if you cant drive lhd here best not go abroad in a rhd. best use a trike, they are lhd/rhd or is it bi,hd.

3. Maddie

Maddie Read Only Funster

We have always had LHD and have had no problem here or obviously abroad. We have bought all the motorhomes in Germany as we do like the continental makes and cheaper in Germany.

Kind regards

Maddie

4. Maddie

Maddie Read Only Funster

Sorry, forgot to say that it makes no difference in price of insurance.

Maddie

5. dundreamin

dundreamin Read Only Funster

Lhd

We have always had LHD and Hubbyrefused to consider anything else!
    Our intention was to travel around France to find our Dream Business and future home but sadly the recession decreed that we could not sell our home ......yet.......so here we are onto our second LHD and taking short Holidays where possible in France,.

So - no difference in the insurance - BUT dealers will try to tell you A - that its more expensive to buy a LHD from them : B - that if you want to part exchange yours that it is worth less than a RHD and finally - the best one yet - C there is no call for them so we don't stock them. - Yet every time we wanted to look at one it had very quickly been sold.
    Maybe theres a gap in the market for LHD over here - you never know your luck.

Hubby does not have any problem driving the LHD over here and we now have an RV no comments about LHD prices at the RV dealers!!!!:Rofl1:

Good luck

6. superk

superk Read Only Funster

For six months of four years had the experience of driving a LHD RV towing a RHD car and for the last two years a RHD van round Europe - never really thought about the difference.

Thinking about it now I found that with the RHD van there could be advantages - on narrow mountain roads as the driver you are closest to the edge :Eeek: and can therefore judge it more finely- not so good for the passenger in the suicide seat though. Passing - occasionally you need confident passenger advice.

Six of one half-a-dozen of the other when you return to the UK.

:Smile:
    Keith

7. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

The Swiss used to like lhd trucks for that reason.

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I find it easy to drive a LHD motorhome on the continent. Went over in the car (RHD) to Paris at Easter and it felt very strange being on the 'wrong' side again. In the UK, I find it very easy to drive a 'left-hooker'. With a large(r) vehicle, I think it is easier to adapt over here where you are very used to the roads, than it is to adapt 'over there'.
    One other thought. We got an automatic MH which stops me instinctively reaching for the driver's door handle to change gear in manual.

Philip

9. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

Have had a LHD for 3 years now and find after about 2 weeks I had adapted quite well to driving in UK where we have the advantage of knowing the roads. In the rest of Europe it is great - no adjustment needed and the junctions are set up to make life easier. The other major advantage is that you are then constantly reminded to go 'the other way' at roundabouts and keep right traffic islands.
    I would love someone to come up with a left/right drive to make life even easier. ( so long as it wasn't on a 'Fix It Again Tony' chassis.:Rofl1:)

10. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

RHD/LHD.....all depends on the person driving, irrespective of vehicle type.

I've driven both LHD and RHD abroad and here and the point to remember is to make more use of the opposite mirror to what you usually do. If driving RHD on the continent you will use your n/s (passenger) door mirror more, same as you would driving a LHD vehicle here in the UK.

Much more important than the question of should i buy lhd or rhd is to take ultra care when turning around after missing a side road. All too easily you can find yourself coming back out on to the main road on the wrong side! It's very easily done and has caused a number of serious accidents. I've done it myself yet during the 80's/90's i drove regularly on the continent. Here in your own country doing that manoeuvre is virtually 'auto pilot'....you don't even need to think about it.

11. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Need to get one of those McClaren sporty jobs! Sit in the middle, failing that you could settle for a Messerschmidt bubble car! :RollEyes::Rofl1:

12. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

My last 3 RVs were all LHD, my current car is LHD and I have no problem with either setup. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Main 1 would be overtaking on narrow roads as you need to leave a big gap between you and the car in front to see round it.

13. Camperian

Camperian Read Only Funster

Is it just me? I have trouble settling back to driving on the left when I return to the UK and driving my RHD car. Maybe it's an age thing!!!!!!

Ian

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i know the problem Camperian, most do. as to overtaking if you have a large rv/m,home you dont overtake you just enjoy the view. come on think of all the trucks running back n forth it becomes normal.

15. Davrosdarcy

Davrosdarcy Deleted User

Davrosdarcy

We chose a LHD based on the idea that we would be doing most of our milage in Europe. Although we may end up making more trips in the UK. Counting a trip as a day out or a trip to the garage, or this year, more camping in the UK. There didn't seem to be any difference in insurance, I think secondhand values may be lower, but as more people travel to Europe to motorhome this may be less of a factor. Since most of our milage is in Europe it makes perfect sense to us to have a LHD camper.

16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

No problem at all two up.

But solo two problems:

1. "Can you see anything coming ?"

2. Toll tickets.

17. Euromobil

Euromobil Read Only Funster

RHD in France

Having driven my RHD van last two years in France & Spain only problem I found was looking back when filtering into a main road especially Motorways. Cured by buying stick on (suction) wide angle mirror from local car accessory shop and fitting to inside of passenger side quarter light. A bit of adjustment around 45degree and you have a perfect rearview.