Left Hand Drive

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gollom, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Gollom

Gollom Funster

Still hesitant about getting something LHD. I can see the benefits of course when over the channel, but what is the downside of using in the UK? Appreciate that most driving in a MH is "to and from" so is there necessarily a problem?

Anybody out there hesitated also, then found nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks

2. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

My brother has a left hand drive and he said it's easy to drive, although is concerned it may not attract as much interest as a RHD when it comes to resale.

You could ask @Techno100 as he's got a LHD Rapido which is very nice and I believe he loves it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. orridge

orridge Funster

we have a LHD we brought for an extended trip around Europe and shorter trips as we are based close to the tunnel so easy for us to pop over, however the down sides were really more of initial concern rather that actual downsides now we have used it a lot in the UK.

• Being on the Left does sometimes make seeing from the right at some junctions harder, but generally only that that are not at 90 degrees and most of the time the passenger can see or you are high enough to see using the mirrors.
    • The Hab door generally is on the right (offside) so parking on the left side of the road would mean stepping into the flow of traffic to use the door in which case we use the drivers door to exit.
    • Some A-Class only have a single cab door and if this is on the right again means stepping out into the flow of traffic, this put us off some of the Hymers we looked at and settled on a Euramobile that had two cab doors.
    • Driving around the kent countryside where we lived has some narrow lanes which means you are often closer to the hedgerow keeping left but again you are in a higher driving position so have a better view.
    For the useage we have LHD suits us just fine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Whilst I have no trouble driving in Europe with my RHD, for some reason I actually struggle more with LHD in Europe and America.... this makes no sense to me; it just is.

• Like Like x 3
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

not a thing..

I find it just as easy in the UK .. and a bonus when abroad

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I much prefer LHD and would have bought another one if I could have found the lay out etc ..
    Big advantage is, as you say, when you are driving on the continent.. About the only downsides I found were if you are pulling on to a road when the junction is y shaped ( so I just fitted a small extra mirror for the very few times I was alone and without a passenger ) and the hab door is on the other side ( but we had this on all but one of our vans and never once had so much as a slight issue because of it.. In fact it had an advantage..
    When we were plotted up with friends of family we could both park in the same direction and the doors / awnings faced each other..

• Like Like x 1
  7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Only had one motorhome and it's LHD (Hymer Star-Line). No real problems over here apart from taking care at angled junctions and roundabouts. Just keep far enough back and have decent wide angle mirrors.

Feels totally at home when over the Channel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Live in London and driving LHD over 20 years with no issues. Need to overtake a bus? just lean over in seat to look round it, dont even think about it and wife who is far form a confident driver just jumps in and drives.. years ago she used one for the school run and continued on to work. some Y junctions can be tricky when entering traffic at an angle but that's it..and how often does that happen..

Considering new van Im looking is betweeren £10-20K more here depending on who from its a no brainer to be honest. never had a problem selling or PX'ing it on

• Like Like x 2
  9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

It's a piece of cake, we have travelled throughout the UK and ROI and a fair bit over the water.
    My only caveat is that as you question lhd suitability, others will too when you try to sell and there could be a negative effect on price.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zepp

Zepp Funster

I agree with jeanluc just keep back at roundabouts .

I have been driving a LHD dethleffs for over six years and my next motorhome will be LHD .

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Something to consider if you decide on a RHD continental A class van ..

The drivers cab door may still be on the left.. not very handy when you want to get out to refuel etc

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Judge Mental

But you pay a lot less to begin with so it evens out. 9 vans in 20 years and I'm quids in to be honest. you manage that with a UK van....

• Like Like x 2
  13. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Had a LHD for 7 years now and being an A class find it an advantage when negotiating narrow roads as being nearer the curb you can see exactly how close you are to over hanging branches etc. Like others have said care must be taken at Y junctions, the only other thing is getting used to changing gear with your right hand.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We will soon be buying new and may well consider buying over the water, provided no problem with warranties.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Judge Mental

If buying a Coachbuilt depending on manufacturer...I think buying from Belgium makes more sense in case of issues. what are you after?

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Itineo SB720, need max 3500kgs sofas and locker for bikes. Not written in stone yet though.

17. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

We have LHD and have no issues really with driving it at home. I think we are so familiar with Britians Roads that it is easier to adapt, than driving a RHD on the Continent. Y shaped junctions can be a little short on vision, but Debs looks out for me and I have view through the two long windows on the right hand side ( see pic)
    Go for it, I am sure you will be fine. image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Judge Mental

19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

20. Judge Mental

But there is the rub. even if the MIRO was 2980 it still would be extremely tight!. the MIRO probably well over 3200 which by the time you add any extras + kit and partner?

your money your choice..but there are not many vans that work @ 3500