Left hand drive - yes or no

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by errpaul, May 30, 2013.

1. errpaul

errpaul Funster

We thnk we've found the almost perfect motorhome, not bad after only a few weeks searching! Only thing is it is left hand drive. Now I have no problem driving one (in theory) but am worried about any issues that might arise and am unsure if the resale will be hard because of this. Obviously we don't plan to sell it any time soon if we go for it, but then we thought that about the last two we bought too!!.
    Are left hand drive vans worth considerably less?
    Any experience anyone has wil be great.
    Cheers

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Having left hand drive is quite an advantage.

1. You're on the right side everywhere except the UK.
    2. If it's a European A-class van then everything is on the right side (our drivers door is on the passenger side as we are RHD).

Disadvantage is that the resale value will be lower, but this should be reflected in the price you pay so no real loss.

Given the choice, I would go for LHD if available in the right van.:thumb:

3. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

I purposely look for Lhd as I reasoned that I rather drive a Lhd in uk where I am familiar with the roads than a Rhd in Europe where I am not so .
    Did find driving in Europe much easier with my Lhd mh since
    There is a blind spot driving in uk if you come out of round about at an angle which have to be aware off . Other than that , no problem at all .
    As for value, not noticed a lot of difference while I was looking. Brought mine privately.

4. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Left hand drive

Our last van was LHD and as far as driving was concerned I never had any issues(after the 1st half an hour). Occasionally, turning left at junctions left me with a blind spot because of sitting on the other side, but I got round this by positioning the van at junctions as square as poss so I could lean forward for a good look to the Right.If you have a front seat passenger it's no problem. Make sure you are indicating left so no impatient twit tries to cut along your left side. I never went over the water in it but I can only assume it would have been a bonus.
    The only reason our current van is RHD is because it was a good price. Which side the wheel was on was not on our list of considerations.
    Don't be put off by LHD.
    Cheers,Bob.

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

We set out to find a LHD van. I really enjoy driving it abroad and it's no problem here once you get used to accommodating the RH blind spot. Mirrors and careful positioning help here and I'd rather have the problem in the UK than over the water.
    I have never noticed any significant price reduction for LHD; have a look at this website - most are LHD and they are not exactly cheap. (Good dealer by the way - we bought from them.) http://www.edgehillmotorhomes.co.uk/page/motorhomes

I just wish the UK would change over and match our neighbours - it seems a bit odd to be one of the few countries driving on the left. Surely far more Britons are likely to drive in Europe or the USA than are likely to drive in Japan, India or NZ for example, so a switch would make life easier and safer all round. :thumb:

6. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I love LHD motors
    With a big motor home it helps to keep your speed down:Rofl1:
    Cos you can not see where ya going he he he

Only joking

7. sallys

sallys Read Only Funster

Ours is LHD and bought out of choice as most of our time is spent in Europe. Downside is that OH does all the driving as I don't feel confident driving 8.5m with the steering wheel on the wrong side! Auto gearbox also makes things easier.
    As far as resale value - the internet (and in particular Ebay) makes everyone in Europe your potential buyer, so depending on the Euro exchange rate, you have a much larger audience and can sometimes get more pounds if the rate is good.

8. Mel

Mel Funster

All my vehicles are LHD.:Rofl1:

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We bought our LHD Hymer last year and have recently returned from a couple of months in Europe. As everyone else has said; driving abroad is a breeze as your on the 'right side'. Negotiating toll booths that I've done towing a caravan is also so much easier as well (and backing out when you've chosen the wrong line!).

In the UK I have not had any problems...there not something you rush around in so no issues about overtaking etc. Also, unlike a caravan it does not really matter which side doors are on as you can pitch front in or reverse!

Save a few bob...go for it! You will eventually get over trying to change gear with the door handle!

Dave

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Same here Mel...all mine have been LHD.....but of course we live over here:RollEyes::Wink: where they drive on the right side...pardon the pun:RollEyes::Rofl1: but saying that a lot of the motorhome people do come over to here to France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal etc... for there holidays....then you have to ask yourself...how many miles will you actually do..3000,..5000,..10,000 a year in the uk,...not a lot is it...
    When we go back to the uk in the motorhome for about two months... we don't find it any problem :thumb:......
    Plus if you are gong to loose any money on the resale of a LHD in the uk you must have saved money when you purchased the LHD in the UK

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

When we looked for out last van we actively went looking for a left hooker .. When in the UK you are on home territory and used to the way everyone drives.. When over in Europe the left hand drive is a BIG advantage !

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mel

Mel Funster

I dont have a problem with either here or in the UK.

When I lived in the UK I found you get as mutch for a LHD as for a RHD.

Most Motorhomers travel to Europe{some dont know they are there now :Rofl1:}

So the most milage is on the right LHD could be a Godsend IMO.

If its the right motorhome for you thats more important than the RHD/LHD question.

Whatever you by good luck and enjoy it.

Mel{meor}

• Like Like x 1
  13. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Dave I think the saying goes.......UK is in Europe:Doh:.....in it:thumb::Wink::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Now I know why I kept getting lost :Eeek: !!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Thanks for all the replies so far. They have been a great help. Thinking if we can get it for the right price we'll likely to go for it.
    Didn't think there was such a thing as an A class with bunks and more than 4 belted seats, but it seems that there is :Smile:

16. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

LHD

Hi

Our first TAG axle was a left hand drive but I do prefer RHD. The LHD was worth less but it was on a Swift motorhome which are 99.99% RHD.

I suspect a LHD Hymer or Burstner would not have as greater differential as they are more common etc.

What make are you looking at?

Russell

17. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Looking at an a class laika

18. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Please be aware of the frort seat passenger information. I have never forgotten an incident in my first year of nursing. A young girl was paralysed after moving out from a junction on advise from her mother. That all clear can change so quickly.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  19. carolyn

carolyn Funster

LHD

Like so many others I wish we drove on the right but can you just imagine the chaos if we tried to do it over the course of a weekend like the Swedes did on 3/4 september 1967? I realize the roads in the UK now are very different to the roads in Sweden then but we would need working parties, think tanks, referendums, debates in Parliament and then a vote by which time apathy would have set in and the coalition would never agree on principle !
    I would definitely consider a LHD if it was a nice van.

20. Mel

Mel Funster

Could someone ask the people that live in cornwall.

To all try and agree which side to drive on:Rofl1:

Mel

• Like Like x 1