Left hand drive - offputting? (1 Viewer)

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Hi folks,

First post here...

Girlfriend and I are considering buying our first motorhome. We've hired a few before and enjoyed it, but we're not completely sure how it would be to own our own, so we want to make sure we don't pay over the odds for one which we lose a lot of money on if we decide to sell on in a year or so.

We have found one nearby which looks great - the size and layout we want, sensible price, sensible mileage. The only issue is that it's left hand drive.

I don't mind driving a LHD particularly, but is it going to be a problem to sell later? Do LHD models generally sell for less? We'll be doing most of our touring in the UK, but I suppose if one were going to be spending time in Europe it would be an advantage...

Opinions and advice gratefully received!

Thanks!
-Mark

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
LHD do sell for a bit less...so you pay less and sell it later for less...

However, LHD in UK is less of an issue than RHD in Europe...

I personally wouldnt be put off by it, but each to their own...just remember you will have to adapt how you drive, fit extra mirrors etc...

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Agree with Deckard.

Our first mh was a LHD, and in the UK it was only at left hand turns that you approached at an angle that caused a slight problem. But either you hang back so you can see right, or your passenger tells you. I confess it was probably the lower price of the LHD van that got us into motorhoming in the first place!

And, of course when you cross the channel, it's perfect!

Steve :Smile:

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Oh, yes, and at the risk of repeating everything Deckard says, :RollEyes: Welcome!

Steve :Smile:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Never found it a problem driving a RHD in Europe in fact I prefer it unlike driving a LHD in the UK but you pay your money and take your chance. If the van suites you go for it, you will adapt to driving it here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
LHD is great in Continental Europe and no real problem in the UK - we chose one deliberately. I must admit I have never noticed a discount for LHD Hymers. When we bought ours the dealer had two identical models on the forecourt of similar age and spec but the other was RHD. They were on offer at the same price.

Upvote 0

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Ours is LHD and although we've only had it since February, it's easy enough to get used to. We are going to use it most in Europe though. Go for it if it's the van you want and the price is right. (was that a tv show?) :whatthe:

Upvote 0

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Was in Germany a few weeks ago looking at German motorhomes(didn't buy so expensive to change)but I was surprised to be told new right hand drive new motorhomes are the Same price as left hand. Presto

Upvote 0

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
No problems - in the UK it is easier to follow the curb as the driver!

Extra mirrors and a Link Removed lens on the offside helps ...

Cheers

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I've always said I prefer to drive RHD in France but we are considering changing to a LHD - only because it looks like another perfect layout for us!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Lots of replies, thanks very much. Most of them answer a different question :roflmto: which is "are they a problem to drive". I'm not really worried about that at all.

My question, in case there's another round of replies, is whether it will be a problem to sell on - either hard to sell or fetch a significantly lower price.

Thanks all for the replies and welcomes though. Early indications are that they aren't a problem to sell...

Upvote 0

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Mark & Girl friend and welcome to Fun...

You've answered your own question really. Thing is, no one can give a def answer. But if your looking at it now, doesn't mean to say there won't be someone else looking at it if its up for sale in the future. As already said, you pay your money you take your chance. As with everything else in life No Guarantees. But if its right for you with the here and now, then don't be put off by something that may or may not happen down the line.

Carpe diem (however its spelt)

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My question, in case there's another round of replies, is whether it will be a problem to sell on - either hard to sell or fetch a significantly lower price.

Thanks all for the replies and welcomes though. Early indications are that they aren't a problem to sell...

In case this gives any further reassurance, I attach a link to the dealer where we bought ours. I realise you may not be looking for a Hymer but that is the brand I have direct experience of. A scroll dow his stock list will reveal many LHD models and I would not say they look particularly discounted.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Left or right

Hi Mark

The make, model and quality of van is likely to be more of a factor than L or R hand drive. So for example, if you bought a Hymer, Rapido, Burstner, Laika, or one of several other brands which are both recognised as higher-end and also far more commonly seen long distance touring, then when you eventually decide to sell on, you should get a good deal.

Hopefully the resale question won't come up for several years yet, by which time you'll have enjoyed the freedom of travel that only MHs can bring so much, that you'll have forgotten all about cash values!

If you really need to nail this one down though, I'd suggest you trawl the net to compare L and R hand values for a small selection of vans, making sure you pick as close a spec match as possible.

The dealer we bought ours from always has a selection of L and R H vans in stock and will happily trade either, but my personal guess is that if you asked him his opinion, he would say there is a bigger market for RH in England. That's probably stating the obvious, but bigger market usually means higher values.

There is a lot of fun to be had in hunting down the right van, so enjoy it!

The dealer we used (and will return to, even though we now live a long way away) is Edgehill Motorhomes in Mansfield.

Gary

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi folks,

First post here...

Girlfriend and I are considering buying our first motorhome. We've hired a few before and enjoyed it, but we're not completely sure how it would be to own our own, so we want to make sure we don't pay over the odds for one which we lose a lot of money on if we decide to sell on in a year or so.

We have found one nearby which looks great - the size and layout we want, sensible price, sensible mileage. The only issue is that it's left hand drive.

I don't mind driving a LHD particularly, but is it going to be a problem to sell later? Do LHD models generally sell for less? We'll be doing most of our touring in the UK, but I suppose if one were going to be spending time in Europe it would be an advantage...

Thanks!
-Mark

No problem at all with LHD. I was completely agnostic when buying and ended up with a LHD RV. If anything it makes it easier to pull in to the side on country roads. The main issue is that the hab door is into the road when parked somewhere busy. Of course, any European touring and you're back on the "correct" side.

Also, you may wish to upgrade the mirrors if they are rubbish; otherwise merging is horrible. For example, early Fiat/Boxer/Ducatos had terrible mirrors, but they are directly replaceable with the excellent later version with just three bolts and 30 seconds of your time.

Upvote 0

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
LHD

Hi

We have had both LHD and RHD vans and my preference as the driver, irrespective of whether UK or Euro touring is RHD.

Some vans are very popular on LHD - such as the Hymer, Dethleffs etc whilst British vans that pop up from time to time on LHD are less "desirable" in my opinion.

Russell

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome :welcomefunster:
Have Had a number of left hand drive vans ,M/H, and cars at the moment a LHD LMC never had any problem selling on and at probably a better price than a UK produced MH much easier to drive in this country and certainly in EU. There is a vast market out there:RollEyes:
Take any vehicle into many a dealer to sell and they will give you a load of bull and not a lot of Wonga :Eeek:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi folks,

First post here...

Indeed?.....:whistle::whistle: and could we know where you found this little gem? :Blush::Blush::Blush: I know someone who knows someone who knows someone ... who is looking for a great nice little van, and who is NOT bothered AT ALL by a LHD .......:RollEyes:

Oh ok funsters , I won't be a naughty girl and try to steal that van from a newbie!

I don't mind driving a LHD particularly, but is it going to be a problem to sell later?

Well if you end up not liking it , and want to sell it within the end of the year ... I might be interested .... if I didn't get one in the mean time that is!

Do LHD models generally sell for less? We'll be doing most of our touring in the UK, but I suppose if one were going to be spending time in Europe it would be an advantage...

Thanks!
-Mark

Lots of replies, thanks very much. Most of them answer a different question :roflmto: which is "are they a problem to drive". I'm not really worried about that at all.

As I just said I could be interested , or my cousin ... but you've got to know .... we are both French:Eeek:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
We have a LHD Hymer 544lL bought in March this year and we were willing to pay over the odds to get what we wanted and would have travelled to Germany if necessary. We had months of searching and looking, eventually finding what we wanted. So I would say as others have said, if you buy certain well known brands and keep the vehicle in good condition it should not be a problem selling it on.
I love driving ours. We have a thick black arrow on the window that gives you guidance for the edge of the kerb on the drivers side.

Debbie

Upvote 0

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We have just bought a LHD and had the same concerns as you. At the end of the day it was a perfect layout and everything was what we had been looking for for a number of years, so went for it. It is a laika though and, as has been said there are I think certain vans that are more desirable in LHD.
I think if its one tha is likely to be used for long term tourig or regular trips abroad then there is no difference in value. Generally these will be euro vans.
I wouldn't buy a uk manufactured van in LHD, but my opinion only.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Left hand drive is not going to cost you on resale IMHO people eagerly buy them just like I did. We do more miles on the other side of the channel than we do here.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Dont know about re sale of lhd eurovans but I love driving my lhd RV any where :thumb: absolutely no problem, it means that the wife sits in the suicide seat :Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back