Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Hello again, I'm after replacing the interior lights with LED's what would be the same as for sylvania cf se 9w/840, they have 4 pins.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I assume that is in a crown fitting. We had a couple in our Autoquest and, at the time, there was no direct replacement. I had to buy a and LED bulb and convert the fitting - a fairly simple job of cutting the wire between the switch and ballast and wiring in the new LED and its holder.

I don't know if there are direct replacements available these days. The only other way is to replace the unit itself (did that on the Burstner as the chrome on the fittings was a bit worse for wear).

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That lamp format is a fluorescent tube and therefore probably runs on 230V. That means that the lamp housing in your motorhome contains an inverter to change 12V DC into 230V AC. In order to replace with LEDs, you will need to strip out the inverter unit and install a 12V lamp holder to suit the LED of your choice. Alternatively you can buy LED strips and wire them directly to the 12V feed, bypassing the inverter circuitry.
If it were me, I'd leave them alone as fluorescent lamps are pretty low consumption anyway.

I have replaced halogen bulbs with LEDs in some locations, but where I have four fluorescent units (older style than yours as they are simple straight tubes) over the kitchen, table, and above each bed, I have left them alone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Busman

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
If it were me, I'd leave them alone as fluorescent lamps are pretty low consumption anyway..

I think this is the way to go,
Thanks for the info and GJH :thumb:
Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That lamp format is a fluorescent tube and therefore probably runs on 230V. That means that the lamp housing in your motorhome contains an inverter to change 12V DC into 230V AC. In order to replace with LEDs, you will need to strip out the inverter unit and install a 12V lamp holder to suit the LED of your choice. Alternatively you can buy LED strips and wire them directly to the 12V feed, bypassing the inverter circuitry.
If it were me, I'd leave them alone as [HI]fluorescent lamps are pretty low consumption anyway.[/HI]

I have replaced halogen bulbs with LEDs in some locations, but where I have four fluorescent units (older style than yours as they are simple straight tubes) over the kitchen, table, and above each bed, I have left them alone.

i beg to differ....
An 11watt fluorescent uses 11watts plus any inverter losses.
A 20watt led strip uses around 2watts....big difference

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
i beg to differ....
An 11watt fluorescent uses 11watts plus any inverter losses.
A 20watt led strip uses around 2watts....big difference

I'm struggling here. How can a 20 watt electrical consumer (LED strip or anything else for that matter) use 2 watts?

And, for the record, the OP is referring to a 9W fluorescent tube, not 11W although I agree that the difference is small.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
LEDs lighting uses about 50% less power (watts) for a given light output (lumens) of a fluorescent.

For comparison

Watts of electricity used equivalent to 60 watt incandescent lamp.

LED = 6-8 watts
Fluorescent = 13-15 watts
Incandescent = 60 watts

I agree with JeanLuc.. and would leave the fluorescent as is..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The crown fitting which I converted was definitely on the 12v circuit.

It can easily be tested anyway - just see if the lamp will light when not on EHU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back