LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Rapido 786F, I was wondering if any other Rapido owners have changed to LED's and which ones have they ordered...

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oi Dave use your search facility and go onto ebay

What costs pounds in Blighty are pennies from Hong Kong you may have to wait a wee while longer but it is worth it

I did all our last motorhome and believe me its worth it

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
LED's:thumb:fit anything:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Solar-Powered-Fairy-Light-Curtain-White-LEDs_700_600_2LQI5.jpg
    Solar-Powered-Fairy-Light-Curtain-White-LEDs_700_600_2LQI5.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 31
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Hi GJH, I an thinking of replacing my original lights to LED's.

Can you tell me the colour range of the lights you prefer, i cannot see which colour they are on the website page. I am thinking soft white is nearer to normal the normal bulbs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Bob

Deleted User
Hi ShiftZZ
I replaced all the bulbs in my rapido last year with led,s. I can now have all my lights on and it does,nt even register 1amp. I bought mine from
wwwatenlighting.co.uk were not cheap about £7.00 each if I remember but good quality and good service.

spongy

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hi ShiftZZ

I replaced the fluorescent in my bathroom with an LED strip last year, cheaper than a replacement fitting ( the inverter had blown). Just ordered 5m of LED tape to do the kitchen and lounge overhead lights as one of them has blown. £12.95 from ebay. I'll post on how I get on cutting the tape and fitting it. The spots are next to go.

Rgds
Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi GJH, I an thinking of replacing my original lights to LED's.

Can you tell me the colour range of the lights you prefer, i cannot see which colour they are on the website page. I am thinking soft white is nearer to normal the normal bulbs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers

Bob

I think both types of bulb come in Cool White and Warm White but the ones with the flatter LEDs (rather then the bumpy ones) are newer technology so give more light.

Cool v Warm is a matter of personal preference. The Warm White are closer to normal bulbs. If anyone is unsure the best thing to do is have a look at the displays which suppliers have at shows, where Cool and Warm can be compared. We bought Cool White because we prefer them for reading.

I used eBay for my post as it was easy to find examples of both types to reference but we bought bulbs for our Autoquest and, just this week, for the Burstner from Aten Lighting as mentioned by Spongy. As Laneside said, buying from HK is a lot cheaper but I wanted 4 bulbs before we go away next week so ordered from Aten on Tuesday and they were delivered today. The other point is that some HK suppliers might be better than others so it would be useful to have feedback about a particular supplier before spending the pension :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Got mine from Aten, a couple of years ago, still going strong and will run on anything from 8v to 30v.
I have a mix of warm and cool white as the cool white appear brighter while the warm white are more a mood type.
I have cool white in the washroom, over the hob and the roof lights in the lounge area. The under locker lights in the lounge area are warm white as are the roof lights in the bedroom. Bed reading lights are cool white cos I like a bright light for reading in bed.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As promised, I said I would post after I had fitted the LED tape. It arrived yesterday (two days delivery) on a reel.

After dismantling the fitting over the cooker/kitchen I discovered the usual. the inverter had burnt out ( safety issue?) and it had scorched the plastic diffuser a little. The original fitting was only about 60cm. long so I measured up and found that I could fit two runs of tape each 1 metre long in its place. This has provided as much light as previously and over a greater range. Cutting the tape is very straightforward, soldering tails on is very fiddly as I don't have a fine soldering iron but I managed fairly well.

Next were the lights on either side of the Seitz rooflight. After figuring out how to get the diffusers off I removed the fitting and stripped out the 8 watt fluorescent fittings. They have now been replaced with 3 strips of LED tape totaling 70 cm. for each fitting, much more light than before.

I ordered cool white tape but it is available in warm white, my idea was to provided a good working light. Next to change are the M16 spots.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
On Friday 15:36 I ordered G4 24 SMD LED Marine Camper Bulb Lamp 12V Warm White Light.

They arrived Saturday Morning... :thumb:

Will install them on the weekend.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Light-12Volt-KING-FLASH/dp/B00662OUSO[/ame]

Any good?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dave, I used to think LED were a waste of money as I always had a good solar and battery bank on the RV. When we got the European van I decided to bite the bullet and changed everything to LED including the outside porch light. What a difference its made, we leave lights on instead of running around switching them off now. The outside porch light can be left on all night which is a good security issue. As you are probably aware we never use electric hookups and we now never have battery issues. Money well spent.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Am I missing something....

Just bought and had delivered 5 of these

ebest24bt61em.jpg

£1.95 delivered, there are some online shops selling them for £6 to £8 each...

Can there be any difference?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am I missing something....

Just bought and had delivered 5 of these

ebest24bt61em.jpg

£1.95 delivered, there are some online shops selling them for £6 to £8 each...

Can there be any difference?

Yep The difference is 4 to 6 quid:winky:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
Hi. Try website 'Simply LED's ' based in Milton Keynes, kitted out my van with the 12v for reading and we are really pleased with the result, so is the leisure battery.

They have a good selection of mains, 240v and 12v, quick delivery and free postage.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi. Try website 'Simply LED's ' based in Milton Keynes, kitted out my van with the 12v for reading and we are really pleased with the result, so is the leisure battery.

They have a good selection of mains, 240v and 12v, quick delivery and free postage.

G4 High Power LED (12 piece SMD 5050, 150 Lumens, 15 watts equiv.) £7.99 EACH!

I paid less than £2.00 each!

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Ebay is a GREAT marketplace, isn't it...I sometimes wonder how we managed pre-ebay :ROFLMAO:

maurice343

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
to L.E.D. or not to L.E.D.?

:Smile:No brainer!!! If you are intending to wildcamp a lot it is a necessity to change. Just done all 14 of my 9048DF spots and the meter registers less:roflmto:than 1amp when all are blazing! even did the 2xcooker hood spots!
At £1.99 each off E bay they are easy enough to fit, just be aware that they only work one way-you may need to cut and reverse the wires to each fitting, but try it first!
Have also changed the reading light for the overcab bed with a 360 degree LED with a bayonet fitting.Bit more costly but worth it!
Have fun:whatthe:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi, do you need to change the fitting to fit the led lamp.i am presently on 12v10w
bayonet fitting..... advice would be great .cheers Harry

maurice343

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Led replacements

Hi, you need to ensure that the replacement bayonet fitting led is the same as yours. Some have offset pins, but mine had car type pins opposite. Then test the existing fitting to see if your led replacement will work with the polarity as it is or will the wires need reversing as so often needs to be. You can check by using some spare wire connected to the fitting terminals and then onto the led bulb.:thumb: best of luck!!

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Are the cheapies from HK Regulated

This may be a dumb question but are the cheap LEDs voltage regulated. A few years back I fiited some to my narrowboat and after a couple of years the individual LEDs started to fail.
On investigation it turned out that they were rated for 12v but the higher voltage you get when charging / engine running is sufficient to make their hair stand on end.
Newer ones are, I know, regulated to accommodate this issue but could this explain the price difference; I don't know, any ideas:Confused:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The cheap LEDs are usually not regulated and are designed to run on 12v. The more expensive ones are regulated and will run on anything between 8v and 30v without damage. Because the actual voltage in your MH when charging may be up to 14.5v the cheap ones may not last, though at the price you can afford to carry a few spares. I prefer to go for the regulated ones because some are fiddly to replace, so I'd rather not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back