Led's

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by olley, Sep 26, 2009.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi been changing my filament lamps to Led's, been using these from Aten lighting Aten Lighting :: LED Lights :: Bayonet its not till you start replacing them that you realise how many there are :Doh:

Replace 8 so far, but still have 8 more to do, and that will still leave two of a different type on the headboard.

Olley

2. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Thanks Olley

what is the lighting levels like? is there much difference? as I have poor eyes and the Little halogens I have are very good for reading......

I guess I could change all the others and leave the 2 halogens as reading lights if LED to dull. this would still save the battery a bit......

4. olley

olley Funster

Hi Judge the ones I have got are "Cool white" their not as bright as halogens, the "White" type are brighter, but its a blue sort of light, which I think most don't like much, we certainly don't, still not as good as halogens though.

Look for the colour temperature if it listed, you want 3500k or lower for "cool white"

Another company is Ultraleds Ultra Bright Leds and Led products at bargain prices with super fast delivery - by Ultra Leds U.K who do a range of quite high power Leds here: MR16 / GU5.3 (12V) - by Ultra Leds U.K

I have dealt with both and so far they have been good, usually delivery within 48 hours.

Olley

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

6. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

7. olley

olley Funster

Going off to Thorntons Holt near Nottingham for the weekend and thought I would check the trailer lights, the indicators aren't very good with the lights on, their so far away from the batteries that the voltage drop with lights on just makes them give a warm glow. :BigGrin:

As I had a couple of spare bayonet LEDs I stuck them in, what a difference, clear bright flashes, also changed the reversing light while I was at it, now I just need 2 bayonet type double contact rear/brake LED lights.

Olley

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

wouldnt think it would make a lot of difference when the engine is running.:Confused:

still, cant beat LEDs.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Aten Lighting, who we bought our LEDs from, describe their products as "white" and "warm white".

To my eyes the "warm white" give a yellowish light similar to that given out by tungsten filament lamps and the "white" give a white (rather than blue) light.

Initially we bought a single "white" LED. Looking at a paperback book under the lamp the paper was the same as in daylight but looking at it under a tungsten filament lamp it had a yellowish tinge. We would definitely recommend using "white" LEDs for reading.

Graham

10. stagman

stagman Deleted User

A lot of usefull information here . Thanks guys . It will take a while to go through it all but well worth it as I have been thinking of changing all my lights to leds. I can watch my telly for longer then :thumb: