Leds (1 Viewer)

Dec 9, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone any ideas please I want to change the daylight running lights on my Ford based hymer from halogen to led. The bulbs in now are PY 12v 21w. Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If your ford has a CANbus system (I assume it has as you have DLR's) make sure you get ballasted LED's or fit separate ballast resistors, straight LED bulbs only draw a fraction of the current of standard bulbs an will upset the system & bulb failure lights will come on. Also make sure the bulbs are "E" marked, there are a lot of cheap LED bubs that are not and the light pattern is not very good from them. Buy a branded bulb like Osram or Phillips, the Phillips ballast resister is called a CANbus control unit.

As Tony says check the bulb type PY is an Amber flasher bulb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
albial
Dec 9, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Tony just double checked the manual and they are PY.
Thanks also Lenny I will double check before going ahead. Thanks again

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Are you really short of power, so that your alternator needs L.E.D's? The habitation batteries can really benefit from L.E.D's as they are in use when the engine is not replacing their stored energy but driving lights are only in use when the alternator is running. There were some statistics bandied about when driving lights were first introduced and the extra fuel required for halogen lights over years was minimal.

OP
OP
albial
Dec 9, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Rosalan I read on a thread on here that on some of the hymers the headlamps have exploded. With the bulbs being halogen and getting hot this could be the problem. I am probably being a tad overcautious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
funnily enough I have just changed mine today, it is a standard 12V 21W bulb (I don't think it is halogen) same as reversing lamp.

What horrified me was the charring of the bulb socket, being so bright and on all the time the whole fitting must get very hot, for that reason only I was going to try and source LED bulbs for our Mercedes chassis

will watch here with interest :)(y) I have so far just done a like for like swap

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Rosalan I read on a thread on here that on some of the hymers the headlamps have exploded. With the bulbs being halogen and getting hot this could be the problem. I am probably being a tad overcautious.
That was a mith Hella had a faulty batch of glass lens's only effectected the L/H lens.
funnily enough I have just changed mine today, it is a standard 12V 21W bulb (I don't think it is halogen) same as reversing lamp.

What horrified me was the charring of the bulb socket, being so bright and on all the time the whole fitting must get very hot, for that reason only I was going to try and source LED bulbs for our Mercedes chassis
Now there is a good reason for changing, might check mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back