LEDs - domestic use

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by ojibway, Jun 18, 2014.

  1. ojibway

    ojibway Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Messages:
    530
    Likes Received:
    298
    Location:
    Eastbourne
    This is a question for the sparkies out there!

    I recently bought some 240v G9 LEDs to replace halogen bulbs - see image attached.

    They work fine but we notice that they are still glowing all night when turned off! That suggests that they are not saving us anything if they are "on" 24/7

    Has anyone any idea what's going on and how I can remedy this?:Sad:
    Mike and Annie
     

    Attached Files:

  2. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
    There must a be a small voltage existing at the LED when switched off .. as little as 10v may make them glow..

    it may be faulty wiring, other faulty luminaire in the circuit.. or faulty light switch.. it's really not a DIY job to test but you could start by doing some basic checks..

    Switch off the MCB for the lighting circuit .. then inspect the switches and pendant fittings.. if nothing is obviously amiss I suggest you call in an electrician to do a full test.

    UPDATE

    just found this on a sparks forum.. seems like a common issue

    http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/46668-led-glow.html
     
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. hilldweller

    hilldweller Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    Messages:
    26,417
    Likes Received:
    25,074
    Location:
    Macclesfield
    For the non techies.....

    Two wires side by side for a long distance can transfer a tiny amount of current. It happened before with the old light but you could not see it, the LEDs are so efficient you can now see it.

    Don't worry about it !
     
  4. ojibway

    ojibway Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Messages:
    530
    Likes Received:
    298
    Location:
    Eastbourne
    Thanks, that's great. The link to the electricians forum explains it well. I think I will leave well alone as it seems to use very little electricity and the system is closed down when we are not there.
    Mike and Annie:Cool::Smile:
     
  5. Geordies

    Geordies Funster

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    934
    Likes Received:
    2,120
    Location:
    Tyneside
    Don't worry about it, I've had a 8w (equivalent) LED at the top of the stairs for a few years, does glow when switched off and no harm has ensued.
     
  6. mikekaren2

    mikekaren2 Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2013
    Messages:
    314
    Likes Received:
    246
    Location:
    Somerset
    Looks like you have got the free night light version!
     
Loading...

Share This Page