ledlighting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gwyntaxi, Jul 21, 2009.

1. gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi Funster

i would like 2 replace my battery powered (12v)guzzling halogen lightbulbs,can anyone advise e.g cheapest methods, suppliers,is illumination sufficient for reading etc,etc,
    many thanks in anticipation, gwyntaxi

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In our van we have four spot lights like This One and two Crown lights like This One plus a short fluorescent tube over the hob and a ceiling light in the washroom which had a G4 halogen bulb in it.

The fittings that most concerned us were the spot lights. They had tungsten bayonet capped bulbs which were both greedy for juice and got hot.

At Newark Show last March we bought one bulb similar to This One (except it has 4 LEDs not 6) from Aten Lighting to try it out. We chose the White rather than Warm White colour (personal preference). It was fine so went back for three more to find that we had bought the last one. No problem, I paid for three more on the understanding that they would be sent to me at the end of the week. I expected that to be Friday or Saturday despatch for receipt on Monday but they actually arrived on the Friday - great service.

Spoke to Aten again at Peterborough Show and bought One of These for the washroom.

Using a couple of the spotlights is fine for both of us to read or watch TV. No need to use the Crown lights at all and we hardly ever use the fitting above the hob.

Graham

3. ocsid

ocsid Read Only Funster

4. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I bought mine from virtualvillage.co.uk. They are in China but delivery is very quick. If you want quite a few email them first and they will give a good discount. With your first order you get a voucher code for 20% of the next order. Postage is very reasonable starting at £2 for a couple of bulbs.

Andy

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

NOT the cheapest UltraLeds but I haven't had a single failure.

Whoever you buy from buy Warm White this matches normal bulbs, cold white is far too glaring for me.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Interestingly you highlight cool white, I tried a couple of cool white and found them uncomfortable. So I fitted those in the "kitchen" and fitted warm white everywhere else.

We both agree UltraLeds are good. It is possible they come from the same manufacturer in China as the cheaper ones but they may have different levels of testing and UltraLeds pay for a higher tested range and the cheaper ones are the rejects.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Im sure all on here will agree
    The secret of Leds is, to buy them, fit them, and forget them:Doh:
    Its not till you stop staring and comparing them with normal lights you realise they work just as well:thumb:

8. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Agreed, we changed all our bulbs to LED's at Stratford and think they are great (warm white). The power saving is tremendous. :thumb:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Regarding warm white and cool white. It's very much a question of personal preference.

We preferred the cool white because they seem more like daylight - no yellowish cast on a book page as one gets with tungsten filament lamps.

Suppliers at shows have stands set up to demonstrate the difference.

Graham

10. ocsid

ocsid Read Only Funster

We prefer the "white" for our reading and kitchen working area lights but have the "warmer" for over the dining table. Very much a personal thing but thankfully I agree with the boss on this one.[ I think I am allow to say that!]
    Some earlier ones we had were a harsh blueish white and we did not like thoses but these Ultraleds whites are much easier to live with.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009