Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
I'm looking to replace the fluorescent bulbs with led in the camper.
The units i have are these.
Link Removed
Link Removed
I managed to get hold of 2x these G23 13W 5050SMD 52LED 110V/220V

Link Removed

Can someone suggest how i can get these to work?
I've measured 240v on the input to the bulb in the camper but the LED doesn't light up.
I connected 240v house straight on to the LED and lights up ok.
Do i need to get a 12v inverter to get it to work?

Many thanks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First of all are you sure that the lighting unit is a mains one? It looks suspiciously like the 12v fluorescent fittings I converted to LED in our previous van.

I still have one of the tubes (GE brand) with reference F 9 BX/840/4P on it. If yours is the same then you need a LED which works on 12v, not 230V.

The conversion procedure is to clip the wires to remove the ballast from the circuit (remembering to clip on the correct side of the switch) and then wire in the LED bulb.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The light your trying to convert is a 12v I believe from looking at it. The circuit board being a very low wattage inverter basically which supplies 220v to fire the tube up then a lower voltage to keep it lit. Both being at a very low current. Therefore, the circuit board is not powerful enough to power the new LED bulb.

You either need to fit a suitable inverter board or rewire the light to take 12v LEDs, It may well be cheaper to just replace the light fitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First of all are you sure that the lighting unit is a mains one? It looks suspiciously like the 12v fluorescent fittings I converted to LED in our previous van.

I still have one of the tubes (GE brand) with reference F 9 BX/840/4P on it. If yours is the same then you need a LED which works on 12v, not 230V.

The conversion procedure is to clip the wires to remove the ballast from the circuit (remembering to clip on the correct side of the switch) and then wire in the LED bulb.

The light your trying to convert is a 12v I believe from looking at it. The circuit board being a very low wattage inverter basically which supplies 220v to fire the tube up then a lower voltage to keep it lit. Both being at a very low current. Therefore, the circuit board is not powerful enough to power the new LED bulb.

You either need to fit a suitable inverter board or rewire the light to take 12v LEDs, It may well be cheaper to just replace the light fitting.

extremely unlikely its a 12v LED....the op has connected it directly to 230v and it lit up......if it was 12v it would have exploded.

chances are the fluorescent inverter will have an inbuilt choke and starter isn't suitable for led lighting and will need a different inverter...for each light.

OP
OP
Crwydryn

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp

I thought it was mains when i measured 240v at the input to the bulb but i'm confused,i thought that the small circuit board was a small inverter but it seems i'm wrong and it's only a ballast,
The fitting is one of these.http://tinyurl.com/827mqmb
This says it's 12v unit and i have 220 led units.

As you say i need to get 12v Led replacement,or is it possible to put a small 50 watt inverter pc board inside?
Something like this.
Link Removed

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
better off removing the ballast and tube and fitting a couple of these in each light case.

Link Removed

from...

Link Removed

OP
OP
Crwydryn

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp

:thumb: That explains why i was measuring 240v brill.
So as you say it's best to get an extra inverter or re wire to 12v.

I can use the 220 led in the house ::bigsmile:
Thanks for your help.:thumb:

OP
OP
Crwydryn

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
better off removing the ballast and tube and fitting a couple of these in each light case.

Link Removed

from...

Link Removed

:thumb: Thanks i will look in to that.
I'll take one of the lights with me to work and see if i can get it to work off 12v first,failing that i will go for the above.::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:thumb: Thanks i will look in to that.
I'll take one of the lights with me to work and see if i can get it to work off 12v first,failing that i will go for the above.::bigsmile:
I removed 9 of the twin 11w fluorescent tubes, snipped the inverter 12v feed wires and connected just one strip in each light unit.
each one gives 24w of light but I bought the cool white (too 'blue')...warm white would be better.
eventually i will replace all the other 'missing' strips, effectively making all 9 lights 48w each.

with all the lights (11 in total) turned on a had a 26amp battery drain......I can now run all 9 lights for less battery drain than one of the old 11w x 2 fluorescent lights

OP
OP
Crwydryn

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
I removed 9 of the twin 11w fluorescent tubes, snipped the inverter 12v feed wires and connected just one strip in each light unit.
each one gives 24w of light but I bought the cool white (too 'blue')...warm white would be better.
eventually i will replace all the other 'missing' strips, effectively making all 9 lights 48w each.

with all the lights (11 in total) turned on a had a 26amp battery drain......I can now run all 9 lights for less battery drain than one of the old 11w x 2 fluorescent lights

:Eeek: My god 11 twin lights,what do you have a double decker bus.:roflmto:
Warm white sounds good.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Eeek: My god 11 twin lights,what do you have a double decker bus.:roflmto:
Warm white sounds good.:thumb:
it doesnt end there......

along with the roof fluorescents there are....

2 x overhead lights,
one above the dinette (4 x 21w indicator bulbs)
one above the couch (2 x 21w indicator bulbs)...

2 of twin 21w indicator bulb wall lights in the lounge area

2 of twin 21w indicator bulb wall lights in the bedroom

??w over cooker strip light built into the bottom of the microwave.

21w wardrobe light.

i have a 440ah battery bank but it wont last long with that lot burning. :cry:

thats one problem with american RV's....too power hungry, around 450watts in total, or 37.5amps, as they were before the LED strips :Eeek:

OP
OP
Crwydryn

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
it doesnt end there......

along with the roof fluorescents there are....

2 x overhead lights,
one above the dinette (4 x 21w indicator bulbs)
one above the couch (2 x 21w indicator bulbs)...

2 of twin 21w indicator bulb wall lights in the lounge area

2 of twin 21w indicator bulb wall lights in the bedroom

??w over cooker strip light built into the bottom of the microwave.

21w wardrobe light.

i have a 440ah battery bank but it wont last long with that lot burning. :cry:

thats one problem with american RV's....too power hungry, around
450watts in total, or 37.5amps, as they were before the LED strips :Eeek:

That's a lot of juice :whatthe:
This guy seems to have solved it ::bigsmile:
gertie-solar-panels.jpg

I tripled my solar generating capacity from 204 to 589 watts...which, as it turns out, is almost enough!
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/life05/catching-up.htm

OP
OP
Crwydryn

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
I'm looking to replace the fluorescent bulbs with led in the camper.
The units i have are these.
Link Removed
Link Removed
I managed to get hold of 2x these G23 13W 5050SMD 52LED 110V/220V

Link Removed

Can someone suggest how i can get these to work?
I've measured 240v on the input to the bulb in the camper but the LED doesn't light up.
I connected 240v house straight on to the LED and lights up ok.
Do i need to get a 12v inverter to get it to work?

Many thanks.

Light sorted :thumb:
Fitted one of these-
LM2577 DC-DC Boost Step up Adjustable Power Module

• Input Voltage: DC 3-34V
  • Output Voltage: DC 4-35V (continuously adjustable)
  • Input Current: 3A (max.)
  • Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
The Led requires 30v DC to light up,connected this up from the 12v supply and light works ok.
Link Removed
Also fitted this to replace the T5 Fluorescent.
Link Removed

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Can you give me a link to the bottom tube? thanks:Smile: