LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh, I see that their dismantling our gas works and moving it to Preston so you will be fine soon, we're going to newclear power so I'm told.
This picture was taken last Wednesday.:Eeek:

image.jpeg

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Toots, where did you get the red lamps from?

We have the same bathroom as you, bottom lamp is almost dead now so was thinking of changing them to LED's.

If I can buy some the same I will try them in ours and see what happens
You mean that there are two motorhomes with a bathroom looking like a pimps boudoir?;)
Dawn, this is a LED bulb problem thread, and not a fat lady bulbous problem thread. :);)

It ain't over until the fat lady sings, you know........ (Reaches for earplugs....)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't worry, you wont turn black!! (y)
Pity...:LOL:
Meantime back on track please... It's a funny one and I can't for the life of me think why your led won't work..
You say you have checked the supply for voltage and polarity...
And each led will power on if connected to a battery...It's sort of defying logic...

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
The original bulbs couldn't be connected in series like a Xmas tree, that would show 12v with one unplugged?
Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know John. With the wiring in the original position, the standard bulbs worked, but not the LED's However, when I reversed them, neither worked. Got to be a resistor somewhere.
Nothing would prevent filament bulbs working either way round.....if they work one way they WILL work the other.....unless the standard bulbs have a diode built in, which I have never seen as tjeres no point.
The + & - feed wires only go to each end of another wire....the one inside the bulb.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Nothing would prevent filament bulbs working either way round.....if they work one way they WILL work the other.....unless the standard bulbs have a diode built in, which I have never seen as tjeres no point.
The + & - feed wires only go to each end of another wire....the one inside the bulb.
No bulb diode's. And the stranded bulbs will not work with the polarity reversed.
The push button switch unit is very large for the job, and gets it's feed directly from a choc block behind the light unit. This chock block also powers a strip LED over the dinette, which works fine, and so this problem is either in the switch, or the wiring from the switch to the individual lamp sockets in the bathroom unit, which is standard feed. I suspect the switch, but cant confirm this without a trip to the storage. Why would a simple switch be fitted with such a circuit?

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Intriguing!

A filament lamp is basically a resistor, no polarity. The only thing that I can think of that would affect the circuit is some sort of controller somewhere in the feed wiring (possibly switch or light fitting), but that still shouldn't affect the filament lamps. As for the LEDs, they 'could' be affected by some control circuitry in the feed.

I agree with you that the next best step is to provide an alternative feed from before the switch which you have already proven to be good for LEDs to bypass the switch, if they still don't work I would suspect either the fitting or some other control circuitry.

Really don't understand why the lamps won't work t'other way around!

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Intriguing!

A filament lamp is basically a resistor, no polarity. The only thing that I can think of that would affect the circuit is some sort of controller somewhere in the feed wiring (possibly switch or light fitting), but that still shouldn't affect the filament lamps. As for the LEDs, they 'could' be affected by some control circuitry in the feed.

I agree with you that the next best step is to provide an alternative feed from before the switch which you have already proven to be good for LEDs to bypass the switch, if they still don't work I would suspect either the fitting or some other control circuitry.

Really don't understand why the lamps won't work t'other way around!
Yes Colin, got me stumped as well. Here's what I did, from the beginning......

Took off the light cover, removed all the bulbs, fitted the LED's, switched on......Nothing.
Tested the LEDs in the overbed spotlight.....All working.
Tried two LED's and two standard bulbs in the bathroom fitting. Standard bulbs came on, LED's didn't.
Took off the complete unit, reversed the blue and black wires (German wiring), at the chocy block.......LED's not working, standard bulbs not working. Replaced wires back to how they were.
Checked both polarity and voltage at each bulbholder. Positive feed center, negative to the side fitting. Voltage reading 13.2 DC.
Checked that the LED's were in full spring contact to the bulbholder, and that the neg tag was touching the bulb side.....Fine.

Trying to find a piccy of this HUGE push to turn on switch............

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ah, I think you have it there. As said filament bulbs will not be effected by reversing the + - as it's just a piece of wire getting hot but yours were so it has to be the switch.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ah, I think you have it there. As said filament bulbs will not be effected by reversing the + - as it's just a piece of wire getting hot but yours were so it has to be the switch.
Cheers Paul, but I have to find out WHY Hymer would fit such a switch. Is it to protect something? Maybe some German construction ruling about electricity and bathrooms? Trawled the web, but nothing. A phone call to Brownhills in the morning, I think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The switch still doesnt explain why the filament bulbs dont work with neg center post.
The switches primary function, regardless of any other function, only makes or breaks the power supply.

The only thing I can think for the switch being so large is it MAY have a stepdown converter within to supply 12v bulbs directly from a 230v supply.
Clutching at straws maybe.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or a diode in the switch? that way you cant reverse the polarity

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did you meter the wires at the holders when you reversed the choc block.

You may have inadvertantly nipped the terminal screw onto the pvc insulation instead of the copper conductor.
A very easy mistake....I know, I do it often on house wiring.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you reversed the wires going to the light unit and now the standard bulbs don't work any more then I suspect you have burned out something by reversing the polarity.

Not sure how that takes things forward other than it seems you have probably goosed something. :(

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Makes sense, but why fit a diode when filament bulbs are polarity sensitive.
the switch may be a multi use one, not just used in motorhomes but also in controlled environments where the chassis of the light must not go live

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back