Free Member
Jul 1, 2009
folkestone kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2nd year
hi to all, been driving a brand new truck this week in belguim. it had led lights in cab they were brill, can i get same for my swift royale? are they expensive and where to get them from.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
They are iot cheap and there are different types, suggest you give Darren a ring as he knows more about them than me.

Peter

OP
OP
stuboy7

stuboy7

Free Member
Jul 1, 2009
folkestone kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2nd year
thanks peter didnt think they would be cheap because they made cab like daylight in the dark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
stuboy,

When changing conventional bulbs to LED ones I find the biggest problem is identifying which led replaces which bulb.

I have managed to change a large number in our American RV but I have two spot lights each side of the cockpit that have 12v screw in type bulbs which I have no idea if a LED equivalent is available.:Sad:

Mick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
thanks brian will have a look at site.:thumb:

Not the cheapest but seem good quality.

The main choice for you and others is Warm White / Bright White. I tried the bright white and found it too glaring for reading so swapped to warm white which is closer to the colour of incandescent bulbs. I used the bright ones for the kitchen.

So I guess it pays to buy a couple to start with.

Whatever the light, the power saving is spectacular as should be the life.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
stuboy,

When changing conventional bulbs to LED ones I find the biggest problem is identifying which led replaces which bulb.

I have managed to change a large number in our American RV but I have two spot lights each side of the cockpit that have 12v screw in type bulbs which I have no idea if a LED equivalent is available.:Sad:

Mick

When we were at Lincoln we changed 6 of our and found them to be so much better - the chap we bought them from had a whole selection of plug in and screw in bulbs and adapters to fit most sorts so they should be available. All he did was LEDs cannot remember his name but he apparently goes to all shows

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
like many motorhomers I have had my attention caught by led's for 2 reasons

improved lighting
reduced power consumption

concensus of opinion seems to be that warm white is the best for reading lights , not sure about ceiling lights but maybe brilliant white ?

HOWEVER it is more complicated than that ! eg I have sideways fitting G4's in my reading lights , so far , so good
now I presume that 1 led gives out a pretty standard amount of light ...but the question is how many led's should I go for ? .....in the size I want I have seen between 1 and 14 fitted ...how many would for a light which is about 2 ft above my head ...who has fitted led and what strength proved suitable for this height ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
like many motorhomers I have had my attention caught by led's for 2 reasons

improved lighting
reduced power consumption

concensus of opinion seems to be that warm white is the best for reading lights , not sure about ceiling lights but maybe brilliant white ?

HOWEVER it is more complicated than that ! eg I have sideways fitting G4's in my reading lights , so far , so good
now I presume that 1 led gives out a pretty standard amount of light ...but the question is how many led's should I go for ? .....in the size I want I have seen between 1 and 14 fitted ...how many would for a light which is about 2 ft above my head ...who has fitted led and what strength proved suitable for this height ?

all mine are G4 side fitting.

i replaced all the ceiling lights with 9 led 25w equivelent and the under cupboard ones with 6 led 20w equivelent.

all surface mount diodes...not the miniture bulb type.

i prefer a light to be just that.....light !....so opted for bright/brilliant white throughout.

only ones i didnt replace were the overcab bed end lights and the under cupboard strip light over the cooker/sink. dont get used enough to warrent replacing.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
tks pj , so thaat's the width you used ...what about the quality ?
in other words , did that improve the lighting ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tks pj , so thaat's the width you used ...what about the quality ?
in other words , did that improve the lighting ?

certainly did. they appear much better.

i didnt replace the overcab bedend ones or the undercupboard strip over the sink/cooker as they dont get much use so couldnt warrent the cost.

the originals were 10w halogens 13 of 'em

replaced with 9 X 25w equivilent in the ceiling (inc 2 in the toilet) and 4 X 20w equivilent in the under cupboard lounge lights.

my main concern was battery usage.

13 halogens at 10w each = 130w or just over 10amps

13 LEDS at 2w each =26w or just over 2amps

makes one hell of a difference when not on hookup.

got mine HERE

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back