LED lighting -finding higher output bulbs (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
The led bulbs in our Moho are not very bright and I want to replace them with the highest output I can find. I have looked online and there are thousands of sellers and tens of thousands of different bulbs. If you have bought some recently please can you let me know what the highest output was you found and where you bought them. Below are some photos of the bulb type which are built into the surround of a skylight. I think the fitting type is G4. Thanks Martin

image.jpg

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
G4 is the Bi-pin arrangement, but there are dozens of different formats.

The bulb you have shown exhibits one of the issues with radial fitting bulbs, in that light output is poorly distributed around the bulb envelope, and needs a decent reflector to gather the light and direct it.

We bought disc-shaped 2W bulbs with multiple LED's all facing the one way, these would go into most G4 holders, sometimes the pins needed shortening.

They shove all their light out frontwards with none wasted, but it does depend on the lamp they are fitted to.

We have used them in 4's and 5's and 8's in old-style flourescent luminaires, plus our reading spotlights have them.

I'll find some pictures.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Peter

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've always found Aten helpful and good quality as well. They do a Range of G4 LEDs in different formats to suit different fittings. I've also used LEDs from this country and China bought on eBay. They work OK but aren't such good quality as Aten.

There is also a difference between Warm White and Cool White. Some people prefer one and some the other. If you can wait until a show, the suppliers there have boards displaying the various options for comparison.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I thought the 'Thanks Martin' at the end of OP was Dawn saying thanks to Martin for giving her the bulb type

Then Martin (Funflair) replies to Martin so I have to go back to OP to see what is going on

So Martin welcome to the forum

We have bought all of ours from HomeWatt, for house and MH, again good advice good service, family owned business

LED's have really come in the last 4 years or so, you can get 6W versions of the G4 bulbs that will nearly blind you, Homewatt have options for daylight white or warm white

Not the cheapest we could have bought but great service (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
have options for daylight white or warm white

Not the cheapest we could have bought but great service (y)
Hi David Daylight white /warm white are the same (both bright) It's cool white that is dull -er;)Just a bit of useful info for others :D--I have had cheap Chinese bulbs for a good few yrs with only 1 failure which is more than outweighed by the price difference --Anyone who thinks their £5 led is better than £1 Chinese is fooling themselves -they are probably all made in the same Chinese factory -sure they will exchange a £5 one FOC it only cost them £1 :D:D:DLeds are getting better all of the time ;)
terry
edit I am going to have to do some more research now because I have forgotten if it's cool or warm that's the same as day white :swear2:
EDIT apologizes David you were right it's daywhite and cool white that are the same -warm white is the duller one :rolleyes::D

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Anyone who thinks their £5 led is better than £1 Chinese is fooling themselves -they are probably all made in the same Chinese factory -sure they will exchange a £5 one FOC it only cost them £1
I'm sure you're right about some Terry but there is a definite quality difference between the different suppliers of the ones I bought almost 3 years ago. Aten certainly used to assemble their own. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm sure you're right about some Terry but there is a definite quality difference between the different suppliers of the ones I bought almost 3 years ago. Aten certainly used to assemble their own. :)
Hi Graham -
From Chinese parts? :D:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We changed the spot lamp bulbs in our Bessacar to LEDs originally as we used them quite a lot in the rear lounge. Sometime later when I thought one of them had blown I bought some SMEDs. The light output from them was fantastic in comparison to LEDs it was almost unbelievable the difference they made, its what's used in Cree torches. They may be a bit more expensive but well worth the difference if you want bright lighting.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We changed the spot lamp bulbs in our Bessacar to LEDs originally as we used them quite a lot in the rear lounge. Sometime later when I thought one of them had blown I bought some SMEDs. The light output from them was fantastic in comparison to LEDs it was almost unbelievable the difference they made, its what's used in Cree torches. They may be a bit more expensive but well worth the difference if you want bright lighting.
Don't know the difference between SMEDS AND LEDS ---CREE make the leds -the big difference is between DAY/COOL WHITE and the WARM WHITE (duller )
terry

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Hi David Daylight white /warm white are the same (both bright) It's cool white that is dull -er;)Just a bit of useful info for others :D--I have had cheap Chinese bulbs for a good few yrs with only 1 failure which is more than outweighed by the price difference --Anyone who thinks their £5 led is better than £1 Chinese is fooling themselves -they are probably all made in the same Chinese factory -sure they will exchange a £5 one FOC it only cost them £1 :D:D:DLeds are getting better all of the time ;)
terry
edit I am going to have to do some more research now because I have forgotten if it's cool or warm that's the same as day white :swear2:
EDIT apologizes David you were right it's daywhite and cool white that are the same -warm white is the duller one :rolleyes::D

Hi Terry. Some of the Chinese may be good.I bought some.Had six out of the bunch fail.These were replaced foc, only for three to overheat.Luckily we were in the van when we smelled burning.I could not touch the leds.when I removed them they fell apart.I now have had Leds from Aten Lighting.Not one failure or overheating.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
i ordered 2 extra spots for my van that arrived with smashed glass shades, the light with shade is near useless anyway as not directional enough. Would these MR16-18L PROTECTED (copied from bedazzled site above) fit please? http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm#G4Ttype

pic of my spot. or if anyone can
recommend a shaded lamp I would appreciate it (to use without shade)

14d28e9.jpg

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Took this off the internet!

What is SMD/LED Lighting?
Surface Mounted Diodes (SMDs) are the new generation of LED lighting. They are three times brighter than the older LEDs and available in warm white, which means about the same colour light as your normal bulbs. Lovely. No more blue tinted lights which leave you feeling cold and miserable.

Why Select SMD/LED Lighting?
There are many benefits from using the SMD/LED lighting over other lighting solutions that have helped to replace incandescent lamps found in architectural, commercial and industrial applications. Some of the benefits of SMD/LED lighting include:

• Increased performances and brightness.
• Lower production costs resulting in better value for the consumer.
• Lower energy consumption.
• Lifespans of up to 50,000 hours.
• Significantly more environmentally friendly compared to other types of lighting.
• Wide variety of colours

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
i ordered 2 extra spots for my van that arrived with smashed glass shades, the light with shade is near useless anyway as not directional enough. Would these MR16-18L PROTECTED (copied from bedazzled site above) fit please? http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm#G4Ttype
I would have thought the G4T-18Lb was a closer match size wise, but then you need the shade. I think the MR16-18L would fall out without something to support it - I had enough problems with something similar to the G4T-18Lb falling out. From memory, I suspect they were these.

I know that G4T-18Lb doesn't do what you really want, which is to dispense with the shade altogether. I don't know what the answer is - the shades break & if they don't, then the whole unit snaps off the track, because the lugs that fit into the track are tiny & therefore very weak.

Did you get your spots through the M/H dealer, or did you find an alternative supplier?

I'll be interested in any solution that you find.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Seems I bought smleds without even knowing the difference :D does not sound like I was so lucky with the new phone :oops:
terry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would have thought the G4T-18Lb was a closer match size wise, but then you need the shade. I think the MR16-18L would fall out without something to support it - I had enough problems with something similar to the G4T-18Lb falling out. From memory, I suspect they were these.

I know that G4T-18Lb doesn't do what you really want, which is to dispense with the shade altogether. I don't know what the answer is - the shades break & if they don't, then the whole unit snaps off the track, because the lugs that fit into the track are tiny & therefore very weak.

Did you get your spots through the M/H dealer, or did you find an alternative supplier?

I'll be interested in any solution that you find.

the german dealer sent them to be. I think I see what you mean re lamp not sitting in but the tiny lamps (G4? in photo) seem to sit there OK, the shade dont touch the lamp. Or is it because these other lamps are bigger?

also the G4T-18Lb you mention would surely look horrible without a shade and not be directional?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I would have thought that the ones designed to replace halogen spots (the MR11 & 16 series) would be too heavy to be supported only by the pins. I think they usually fit in a holder than supports the outer rim as well.

The G4 series are designed to be self-supporting inside a shade & certainly would look pretty horrible without one. They are non-directional, but as such are a like for like replacement for the non-directional halogen lamp they replace. The one over the dinette fell out on one journey, but the ones over the beds have stayed in ok.

I know a like for like replacement is not what you are trying to do - you want to replace a 36o degree shaded halogen with a non-shaded LED directional spotlight. I'm just not sure there is a lamp of that type that will hold secure in the lamp holder you have.

I was happy that I'd managed a like for like replacement, which was all that I had set out to do, but I do agree that it would be a further improvement to convert the fitting to a directional spotlight.

I may dispense with the track altogether & just get two directional spots, one at each end of the existing tracks. We do tend to have them positioned at one end of the track or the other. That won't be a cheap option, because I'll need 6 fittings to replace the three tracks.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would have thought that the ones designed to replace halogen spots (the MR11 & 16 series) would be too heavy to be supported only by the pins. I think they usually fit in a holder than supports the outer rim as well.

The G4 series are designed to be self-supporting inside a shade & certainly would look pretty horrible without one. They are non-directional, but as such are a like for like replacement for the non-directional halogen lamp they replace. The one over the dinette fell out on one journey, but the ones over the beds have stayed in ok.

I know a like for like replacement is not what you are trying to do - you want to replace a 36o degree shaded halogen with a non-shaded LED directional spotlight. I'm just not sure there is a lamp of that type that will hold secure in the lamp holder you have.

I was happy that I'd managed a like for like replacement, which was all that I had set out to do, but I do agree that it would be a further improvement to convert the fitting to a directional spotlight.

I may dispense with the track altogether & just get two directional spots, one at each end of the existing tracks. We do tend to have them positioned at one end of the track or the other. That won't be a cheap option, because I'll need 6 fittings to replace the three tracks.

Hmmm...........thanks for the eye opener

I may just buy one lamp to see if it works or not, watch this space:)

If I could find an alternative metal shade might be an idea as well or maybe make some...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
just tried as an experiment using a 20watt 12v halogen lamp from indoors to see if it works. Well... it does, it sits in firmly, proper spot effect throwing light forward. now before I order the similar enclosed LED's. what would be the best to get i wonder.... a single led or a cluster of three? obviously the danger is hiting and breaking it, not much chance up front in lounge but over bed may be will mount on far side of each other at ends of track as the caller suggested, and keep fingers crossed. would look at it more seriously but considering changing the van....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back