LED lighting -finding higher output bulbs

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mousy, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

The led bulbs in our Moho are not very bright and I want to replace them with the highest output I can find. I have looked online and there are thousands of sellers and tens of thousands of different bulbs. If you have bought some recently please can you let me know what the highest output was you found and where you bought them. Below are some photos of the bulb type which are built into the surround of a skylight. I think the fitting type is G4. Thanks Martin

image.jpg

2. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

G4 is the Bi-pin arrangement, but there are dozens of different formats.

The bulb you have shown exhibits one of the issues with radial fitting bulbs, in that light output is poorly distributed around the bulb envelope, and needs a decent reflector to gather the light and direct it.

We bought disc-shaped 2W bulbs with multiple LED's all facing the one way, these would go into most G4 holders, sometimes the pins needed shortening.

They shove all their light out frontwards with none wasted, but it does depend on the lamp they are fitted to.

We have used them in 4's and 5's and 8's in old-style flourescent luminaires, plus our reading spotlights have them.

I'll find some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peter

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've always found Aten helpful and good quality as well. They do a Range of G4 LEDs in different formats to suit different fittings. I've also used LEDs from this country and China bought on eBay. They work OK but aren't such good quality as Aten.

There is also a difference between Warm White and Cool White. Some people prefer one and some the other. If you can wait until a show, the suppliers there have boards displaying the various options for comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I thought the 'Thanks Martin' at the end of OP was Dawn saying thanks to Martin for giving her the bulb type

Then Martin (Funflair) replies to Martin so I have to go back to OP to see what is going on

So Martin welcome to the forum

We have bought all of ours from HomeWatt, for house and MH, again good advice good service, family owned business

LED's have really come in the last 4 years or so, you can get 6W versions of the G4 bulbs that will nearly blind you, Homewatt have options for daylight white or warm white

Not the cheapest we could have bought but great service (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Hi Martin, I use this firm http://www.ledbulbs4u.co.uk/ and I think they attend most of the motorhome shows.
    Have always found them helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. petethemover

petethemover Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. ASel

ASel Read Only Funster

With 34 G4 bulbs I will stick with the Hong Kong and Chinese suppliers at less than £1 each.

Not had any failures in 15 months use.

• Like Like x 3
  9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

deleted duplicate

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi David Daylight white /warm white are the same (both bright) It's cool white that is dull -er;)Just a bit of useful info for others :D--I have had cheap chinky bulbs for a good few yrs with only 1 failure which is more than outweighed by the price difference --Anyone who thinks their £5 led is better than £1 chinky is fooling themselves -they are probably all made in the same chinky factory -sure they will exchange a £5 one FOC it only cost them £1 :D:D:DLeds are getting better all of the time ;)
    terry
    edit I am going to have to do some more research now because I have forgotten if it's cool or warm that's the same as day white :swear2:
    EDIT apologizes David you were right it's daywhite and cool white that are the same -warm white is the duller one :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm sure you're right about some Terry but there is a definite quality difference between the different suppliers of the ones I bought almost 3 years ago. Aten certainly used to assemble their own. :)

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Graham -
    From chinky parts? :D:LOL:

13. trophychap

trophychap Funster

We changed the spot lamp bulbs in our Bessacar to LEDs originally as we used them quite a lot in the rear lounge. Sometime later when I thought one of them had blown I bought some SMEDs. The light output from them was fantastic in comparison to LEDs it was almost unbelievable the difference they made, its what's used in Cree torches. They may be a bit more expensive but well worth the difference if you want bright lighting.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Possibly Terry :D - but the end product is more robust :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry

Terry Funster

Don't know the difference between SMEDS AND LEDS ---CREE make the leds -the big difference is between DAY/COOL WHITE and the WARM WHITE (duller )
    terry

16. Masman

Masman Funster

Hi Terry. Some of the chinky may be good.I bought some.Had six out of the bunch fail.These were replaced foc, only for three to overheat.Luckily we were in the van when we smelled burning.I could not touch the leds.when I removed them they fell apart.I now have had Leds from Aten Lighting.Not one failure or overheating.

17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

i ordered 2 extra spots for my van that arrived with smashed glass shades, the light with shade is near useless anyway as not directional enough. Would these MR16-18L PROTECTED (copied from bedazzled site above) fit please? http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/12v_LED_Bulb_Replacement.htm#G4Ttype

pic of my spot. or if anyone can
    recommend a shaded lamp I would appreciate it (to use without shade)

[​IMG]

18. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Took this off the internet!

What is SMD/LED Lighting?
    Surface Mounted Diodes (SMDs) are the new generation of LED lighting. They are three times brighter than the older LEDs and available in warm white, which means about the same colour light as your normal bulbs. Lovely. No more blue tinted lights which leave you feeling cold and miserable.

Why Select SMD/LED Lighting?
    There are many benefits from using the SMD/LED lighting over other lighting solutions that have helped to replace incandescent lamps found in architectural, commercial and industrial applications. Some of the benefits of SMD/LED lighting include:

• Increased performances and brightness.
    • Lower production costs resulting in better value for the consumer.
    • Lower energy consumption.
    • Lifespans of up to 50,000 hours.
    • Significantly more environmentally friendly compared to other types of lighting.
    • Wide variety of colours

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I would have thought the G4T-18Lb was a closer match size wise, but then you need the shade. I think the MR16-18L would fall out without something to support it - I had enough problems with something similar to the G4T-18Lb falling out. From memory, I suspect they were these.

I know that G4T-18Lb doesn't do what you really want, which is to dispense with the shade altogether. I don't know what the answer is - the shades break & if they don't, then the whole unit snaps off the track, because the lugs that fit into the track are tiny & therefore very weak.

Did you get your spots through the M/H dealer, or did you find an alternative supplier?

I'll be interested in any solution that you find.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

Seems I bought smleds without even knowing the difference :D does not sound like I was so lucky with the new phone :oops:
    terry