LED bulb replacement

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by BusyBuilder, Feb 9, 2016.

1. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Not sure either will do. Most cheap LEDs are designed to run off a regulated 12v supply. In a motorhome, the supply can vary between around 14.5 volts when hooked up and 'on-charge' to around 11.5v when the batteries are getting flat. Not all LEDs can handle this variance and may fail prematurely. You will pay more, but make sure you get regulated bulbs that are tolerant of a wider input voltage range. I bought mine from CAK Tanks in Kenilworth but there are many other suppliers. Other, more knowledgeable, 'Funsters' may be able to advise a suitable low-cost Ebay source.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

One of the first jobs I did in the Burstner was to replace all the bulbs with LEDs. The lights we use mainly are four spotlights and two ceiling fittings. Having used Aten products previously I bought LEDs for the spotlights from them. The ceiling fittings were a little "tired" and the most suitable replacements were from Ledbulbs4u. For the lesser used fittings I decided to try eBay suppliers as they are significantly cheaper - the LEDs have worked fine so far but they are less robustly built than those from Aten and Ledbulbs4u.

4. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I replaced ALL the Halogens with LED`s off t`internet. (LED Hut) They where cheap enough not to be too concerned if one or two fail prematurely. The light levels appear to be actually increased, and the HEAT outputs are definitely reduced!!

BTW. I also have them in the Home, mostly in area`s where the lights remain on for long periods, and am in the process of fitting LED strip "downlighters" under the Cabinets in the kitchen.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

My experience too. Mine are all eBay purchases (about 7 - hard to count because in some of the 7 I have fitted multiple 'panels'). I've had one panel lose one of the six rows of chips - probably a dry joint. The whole lot cost under £25 so an odd failure (or shorter life) isn't important.