Leccy Question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Yorick, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We do a bit of wild camping in Europe but usually stay on a site every 3 or 4 days to recharge batteries etc.

But I wanna increase our options and get another leisure battery. Currently we have one of these and it's been great for about 18 months.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110AH...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item48622d2981

So plan to get another the same.

Now I know bugger all about that leccy trickery stuff so would like advice about how to wire it in. Nice and simple please :Laughing:

And I'd like suggestions on a suitable inverter. It will only be used to power a laptop and maybe a tablet.
    Again, I don't understand the technical side, so actual suggestions of suitability would be great. Oh and fitting advice appreciated.
    Do they have a 3 pin plug to just plug things into ?

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

If you are only using it for charging laptop etc then no need for an big inverter. Better off with a solar panel or 2 for the cost of a big inverter and will keep your batteries charged up so you don't even need to go into a paying site ever. Yes good idea to have a 2nd battery as well but not good idea to put new battery with old one better have 2 new ones together and maybe Banner type or similar about 110a or more the better but watch your weight if you are weight sensitive laden weight I mean lol. You only need a small inverter about 300w type to charge laptop etc but make sure it is turned off whilst charging as draws less power this way also only charge if possible when engine going/travelling or in the morning if parked up so solar panels can recharge during the day. Also when parked up only use the habitation battery to charge stuff and engine battery when engine running Regards Garry flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 1
  3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you've not already got a solar panel I'd say get one. We have just one 110Ah leisure battery with an 85W panel and haven't had to charge up on a campsite between spring and autumn for years.

As for inverters, ours is gathering dust - I just buy 12v adapters for any electric kit I want to charge, including mobile phones, cameras and the laptop.

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorick

Yorick Funster

6. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Dare I ask the cost of the system ?

And is it easy to install ?

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Two choices....

1 buy another battery = double off hook time.

2 buy a solar panel = maybe never need hook up again.

You can even do 1+2.

8. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Do fancy the idea of a solar, but the fridge does get a lot of hammer keeping all the beer cool ;D

In UK maybe not enough sun to power it. And in hot places, the fridge will be flat out fighting the heat.

9. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Um, typically your fridge is only wired to use 12V from the alternator when driving. It's never powered by your batteries at other times due to the high power consumption.

You couldn't run it on solar even if you wanted to.

Tim

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ummm.. perhaps you should !! :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Initially that looked OK till I realised that it would need the ignition leaving on and would be drawing power from vehicle battery, rather than the leisure battery :Angry:

12. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Aha. We also take a portable fridge that doubles as a cooly box with ice from supermarket to keep beer & wine cool :Laughing:

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Why ? Do you not have any 12v sockets in the hab area ?
    If not why not ! !

They are a darn site easier to fit than an inverter !
    Any half decent small car parts shop can supply them for about £3.00 a go..

In fact about to add another one or two in my van as this new one only has thee..

14. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Do you wire them to the leisure battery ?

We do have 3 in the cab, but all to the vee hickle battery

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Solar panel prices have been dropping since ours was installed - best guess is a couple of hundred for panel and charge controller plus fixings and cabling, then labour if you pay someone else. There are different types of panel - Monocrystalline is generally considered the most effcient.

You need to secure it on the roof without letting any water through then run a suitable width of cabling through the roof or side panel to the battery via a charge controller using the shortest convenient route.

Personally I paid for a dealership to do it and they managed to cock up the electrics, much to their embarrassment and my annoyance. I got some discount off servicing for that. I'm sure most fitters would do a competent job of it.

I hasten to add that the dealership in question was not one routinely mentioned on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

john 12v sockets do you mene the cig lighter type?

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If you go 3 or 4 days on 110Ah it's not hammering it that hard, unless you are always on the move and charging.

I've been amazed how much we get out the sun in the UK using a single 100w panel.

The only time we hook up is to cool the fridge at home, ours will not run on 12V and why use gas when we have the 240v.

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yep.. just wire them to any 12v feed you can find in the hab area.. Simples :BigGrin:

Cig lighter ones Bill :thumb:

If we meet up at a show or something ( or if you are in my neck of the woods ) happy to nail what you need in place :)

19. Yorick

Yorick Funster

So can I just wire it up to a leisure battery and leave it attached permanently ?

20. berni109

berni109 Funster

Find a cigar lighter type socket and wire it back to the L/battery with a suitable fuse if you cant find a live 12v wire where you want to charge already connected to the L/b.

Not sure what sort of 12v power distribution/controller system you have in the van but would be better to find a supply from there that is already fused.

Dont leave charger connected all the time - just when its needed.

hth.

• Like Like x 1