Leaving van stationery for long time (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Arrived in Crete on 7th May and parked mh up behind apartment on fairly flat but stony/rough ground and in full sun (29 degrees today). One of our dogs is now very ill and is currently on a drip at the vets so we don't know when we are going to be able to take the mh out again. My question is: Is there anything special we should be doing to the mh given that it may have to remain stationery for some time now until our dog gets better (hopefully!). We have fitted a rodent repellent as it's Greek countryside here. Is there anything else we should be doing?
Thanks.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Cover tyres from sunlight and lift wiper blades of the screen,a few corks will do it,the fun part is getting the corks! Open a vent,if you can to ensure a flow of fresh air and leave fridge door ajar,cover all food from Jerry and Mickey!
concentrate on the dog,I hope he recovers soon,is it heat exhaustion?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
start it regularly to keep the engine battery charged....20 mins once a fortnight at a fast idle should do it.

If you have no means of hook up, Ensure everything 12v is turned off, or disconnect the battery, and open the fridge door to stop mold and smells forming...especially in such a hot climate.

Close the blinds to keep the sun out and hopefully a little cooler.

In my experience (damned kindle keeps repeating words) experience electronic rodent repellents don't do anything but I doubt you'll be bothered by mice....usually they are looking for somewhere warm...ie: in UK winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Really sorry to read this post about your dog, fingers crossed for you that he/she will be ok.
The experts on here have given you good advice, but as bigfoot says just concentrate on the dog. It could very well be extreme heat exhaustion:Sad:
Margaret

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
hand brake off, (this stops brakes seizing ) leave in gear. ensure good ventilation .cover furniture stop sun fading materials. run engine fortnightly.

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Roly

Many thanks for all your advice regarding the motorhome.
With regards to our dog - I wish it was just heat exhaustion. He has been diagnosed as having Leishmaniosis which has become quite prevalent in the Med. This horrible disease is not curable, although, with medication it can be supressed. The first and only sign that he was poorly was that he stopped eating and hasn't eaten anything properly for the last 10 days. If he pulls through he will have to be on drugs for the rest of his life. After taking him to 2 local vets and him showing no improvement we have taken him to a very good vet in Heraklion where he is now on a drip. Unfortunately Heraklion is a 4 hour round trip from where we live so we can't see him that often. The report from the vet this morning is that he is calm, is accepting the drip without her having to give him anaesthetic, but he is still not eating.
We rescued this dog (Roly) from Crete over 11 years ago (he is 12 now) and I'm sure he is one of the most well travelled dogs in Europe as he has travelled back and forth overland with us between Crete and the UK to many times to count.
Our other dog (Dolly) is missing him terribly, as are we. However I have confidence in this vet and am sure she will do everything possible to help him survive.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Have to agree with Blue Merle - don't know you, but having dogs myself, I wish you and yours well.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:So sorry that you are going through this with your dog at the moment. They are so much part of our family and it does hurt to see them suffer. I am sure he has had a wonderful, life with your family and was truly loved and cared for. I hope that he doesn't suffer any more and you are in my thoughts sending you strength.

It is eighteen months now since my last little dog had to be put to sleep and I still miss her sooooo much. Big hug to you all. Joy x

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sorry to read about your dog, it is a terrible diesese that can take years to show i wish you all well.

hope you dont mind but a timely reminder for others taking their dogs -
It is a horrible diesese contracted from a sandfly bite which is why i tell folk taking dogs to the med to get and use a Scalibor collar and to keep the dog in once dusk starts to fall as that is supposed to be when the greatest chance of a dog being bit by a sandfly is.
Sandflies do not live in the sand on beaches but in the sandy soil of med countries

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Poorly Dog

Hi our boxer dog developed this back in the 1980's evan after spending 6 months in quarantine returned from Spain. There are collars you can get tohelp prevent, but I don't think people are very away how bad it is. No it is not curable but can be contained. The vetinary Hospital at Bristol are experts in it.
They recommend a highprotein diet among other things but it can be communicatable to small children and vunerable elderly. It caused cysts on the internal organs - esp Liver. It might be worth you e mailing Bristol Vet. Hospital. hope that helps good luck
Glynis[

QUOTE=The Dude;781522]Many thanks for all your advice regarding the motorhome.
With regards to our dog - I wish it was just heat exhaustion. He has been diagnosed as having Leishmaniosis which has become quite prevalent in the Med. This horrible disease is not curable, although, with medication it can be supressed. The first and only sign that he was poorly was that he stopped eating and hasn't eaten anything properly for the last 10 days. If he pulls through he will have to be on drugs for the rest of his life. After taking him to 2 local vets and him showing no improvement we have taken him to a very good vet in Heraklion where he is now on a drip. Unfortunately Heraklion is a 4 hour round trip from where we live so we can't see him that often. The report from the vet this morning is that he is calm, is accepting the drip without her having to give him anaesthetic, but he is still not eating.
We rescued this dog (Roly) from Crete over 11 years ago (he is 12 now) and I'm sure he is one of the most well travelled dogs in Europe as he has travelled back and forth overland with us between Crete and the UK to many times to count.
Our other dog (Dolly) is missing him terribly, as are we. However I have confidence in this vet and am sure she will do everything possible to help him survive.[/QUOTE]

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Many thanks for all your advice regarding the motorhome.
Our other dog (Dolly) is missing him terribly, as are we. However I have confidence in this vet and am sure she will do everything possible to help him survive.

I hope he rallies quickly, but, as a dog owner myself, I wouldn't want my dog to suffer a prolonged and debilitating illness. Your dog is 12 already and isn't going to live forever. Of course, depending on the breed that may not be that old. Give serious thought to having him put to sleep if he doesn't improve soon. I've seen too many pet owners prolong their pet's suffering to reduce their own and that just isn't fair.

I'm not saying that you're that kind of owner but one of the greatest gifts we can give our pets is a peaceful pain free exit from life when it's clear that they're suffering and incurable.

Apologies if this sounds harsh.

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back