Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone leave tv and dvd on standby when out shopping?

WE full time in our van and usually take the bus or cycle to town, depending on the weather and sometimes when we forget leave it on standby, we usually switch off especially when leaving Susie our yorkie behind for a few hours.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I left the tv on one evening when we on a CC site a couple of weeks ago.....and as we walked away to go and do the washing up I clicked the alarm on with the remote.

Got 100 yds and the alarm went off !

I think the sensors picked up the sound inside. So I shant be doing it again.

barry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most older TVs on standby are using about 10% of the power that they would when they were on, some newer ones are very efficient in standby. I think its good practice to turn it of at the set, but nothing to worry about if you occasionally forget. Full timers need to be even more acutely aware of fire risks than others, so leaving things on standby is probably not a good idea. At home I have the remote control plugs, push one button at bedtime and everything is off :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We always turn the tv off fully......as an ex fire fighter I can say there is always a possible fire risk with a set on standby apart from wasting electric.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As everything in my van is 12 volt and I rarely if ever have hookup I always switch everything off that am not using.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Alway's swith off and also unplug from 12v socket :Eeek:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
always turn off whats is the point of wasting money plus the fire risk a lot to loose if it should go up in flames

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we use the same remote plugs - great

Most older TVs on standby are using about 10% of the power that they would when they were on, some newer ones are very efficient in standby. I think its good practice to turn it of at the set, but nothing to worry about if you occasionally forget. Full timers need to be even more acutely aware of fire risks than others, so leaving things on standby is probably not a good idea. At home I have the remote control plugs, push one button at bedtime and everything is off :thumb:

we use the remote plugs from Maplin and hit the remote to close them all down.. great bit of kit.

Bob:thumb:

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
I always turn off 12V and water before leaving the van or going to bed, have been doing that eversince starting fulltiming but did that (and shutting off the toilet) when I lived on my boat, made a habbit of checking the moorings every evening and a quick lookaround, have done that eversince, well, not the moorings ofcourse. Happy travels, Hans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back