leaving the heating on

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by mr bond, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mr bond

mr bond

weve had our motorhome now for about a month havent stayed the night away in it yet just gone for the day we keep it at our secured unit always connected to the electric is it safe to leave the heating on low all the time and the electric always hooked up i know it sounds dumb but we are new to this game

thanks very much:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

3. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

heating on

hi there mr.bond,we park our windsport on the drive along side our house and it is always hooked up.as far as i know it does no harm at all.we leave a small oil filled rad in through the winter to keep the chill out.and i have put 2 tablet humidifyers in to take out any moisture:thumb: regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes to electric - silly to the heating - don't wear out and complex heater when a cheapo electric one will do the job.

5. mr bond

mr bond

thats very helpfull thank you very much ive got a oil radiator and im going to put it in now to save wear and tear on my heater:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

You might know this, but we were told the only way to get a full charge on the battery is to go for a run. It seems to have worked for us.

Ivy

7. b2tuscan

b2tuscan Read Only Funster

Guess one of the experts will pop up and advise but I was always told by mechanics that a run in a vehicle will never fully charge a battery........only a mains charger can do that.

8. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

We have ours hooked up to electric and leave an oil filled radiator on low all the time.

Helps to keep the damp out and the danger of freezing away :thumb:

9. dencol

dencol Read Only Funster

Hi

I get confused when it comes to electrics (bit like magic to me). When I bought the van was told that it depends what type of charges you have. If its a step type? or intelligent charger the sort that monitor the charge in the battery and adjust the top up you are ok, but if you have a basic charger that continues to put a charge into the battery that it can cause damage to the battery. Sure someone will more knowledge than I can muster will be able to clarify. Do give it a run most weeks and to be on the safe side I have only been putting my van on charge once a week for about 12 hours (have not bothered with any heater over the winter)

However just taken the van for a habitat check. not freezing but cold overnight and I set off about 8.0am for a 9.00am check in. The report came back showing 15% damp patches in the van. The staff suggested it was just condensation and nothing to be unduly worried about. But will be reconsidering my options and putting a small heater in during cold snaps

colin