Leaving technology at home.. Give your brain a holiday and go 'unplugged'. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, as the title suggests... how much technology and in particular, internet devices to you take with you.. ?

I touched on this topic briefly in the iPad thread..

Do you just love all your toys.. smart phone, tablet, phablet, laptop etc .. can't bear to be disconnected form the web for even a day, never mind weekend or a week. ?

Have you ever left them all at home and given your brain a holiday .. free from Facebook, Twitter, Motorhomefun, and all the other on line stuff you do.. ?

Personally I love getting away from it all.. but dragging all the internet baggage with you isn't 'escaping' .. is it ? Not in the real sense of the word.. surely our brain also needs a break.. ?

I appreciated that have a net connection can be useful for finding out stuff while traveling.. but for donkey's years we never had it.. but we still traveled, still went to far flung places.. without as much as a mobile phone.. if we needed to 'check - in' we used a call box .. always used to carry a French phone pre paid card just for that purpose.

TV.. switch it off and try reading a book or doing hobby.. it is useful on long dark winter nights.. but during summer time.. unplug it.. Corrie will still be there when you get home... learn to play an musical instrument.

While away for three years we rarely had internet access .. and to be frank.. it was never missed.. all we had was a basic mobile phone for emergencies..

why not give it a try.... even just for a weekend.. go unplugged.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Only take my phone away, weekend or holiday. If I've got no 3G or wifi connection I'm not overly bothered. Still use maps and guide books. We carry a TV but it quite often doesn't come out (but Alan does like to watch the Grand Prix if it's on).

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I take my phone and iPad but rarely even look at either of them, maybe first thing in the morning when nobody else is up. The only tech that I wouldn't be without is my Kindle but that's space saving - if I didn't have it I would be taking loads of books.

And the locker full of photography gear that normally comes with us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Couldn't go anywhere without Iphone & Ipad!! Regular Facebook updates for the kids to see where we are!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We take phones and netbook/tablet with us but use them far less than we do at home. We also take e-readers which we probably use more than at home and MP3 players which we probably use about the same. Never take a TV. We use the sat nav more than at home :)

It isn't a matter of being plugged or unplugged but just using tools appropriately to support what we want to do at the time.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We take phones and netbook/tablet with us but use them far less than we do at home. We also take e-readers which we probably use more than at home and MP3 players which we probably use about the same. Never take a TV. We use the sat nav more than at home :)

It isn't a matter of being plugged or unplugged but just using tools appropriately to support what we want to do at the time.

be honest.. your 'hooked'' Graham.. ;)

join the lost cause club :D

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We take the TV, but never use it. We take the tablet, but only use it for weather check, to decide where to head next. Mobile's are left in the glove compartment - they are a bloody curse on humanity.

Keith :cool:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i have my pvc purely for getting away from everyday life, hassle, stress, phone, tv, towns and cities, it's the perfect way to relax and catch up with reading, bit of crafting etc, that doesn't happen at home..

i do take my phone and ipad for sensible use as and when needed..

edit..had my van converted to be practical, easy, comfortable but basic, no tv, no oven, no fridge, simple meals on the hob made with fresh produce every day if i choose to..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Probably am Jim - but I did write my first program in 1966 and work in IT/Information Systems throughout my career so it's second nature :D

I worked on an oil production platform for years, but don't drag cans of crude oil about :ROFLMAO:

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Yes definitely part of the 'lost cause club' In defence the iPhone 5s has a great camera and video recording...... m'lud

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I don't have a problem leaving my techie gizmos behind - I don't have a smart phone/iPhone/iPad/tablet/wifi - just a PAYG 10 year old cell phone that I always forget to charge up, has about £2 of airtime and rarely switched on.

When I'm on the road I really don't want to waste time on such things.

I have maps and a GPS and don't need, or want, anything else.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In the real world I think it's obvious by how many threads are about tv satellite mobile broadband best sim for xxx? Etc etc :LOL:
There's no shame in it :D

yes, indeed.. and probably what prompted my post.

it's not about shame is it.. it's about having a break from it. ..

for years I was a slave to a company mobile.. the day I left it was like lifting a huge load off my back..

that was the start of three years away from it all.. no internet.. no texts, no emails, no calls.. heaven

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
image.jpg

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We take Kindle's, hudl's, phones, Laptop and TV. Kindle's instead of a trailer for books. Hudl as satnav for me, pastime for SWMBO, phones for emergencies, Laptop for all music via bluetooth radio/speaker and TV for those rainy days. Most times we use bikes to get out and about.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I'm afraid when we go away english tv is a must, plus all the gadgets iPads etc and at times when wifi is'nt available it's like having your right arm cut off.
Sad I know but that's us roughing it.
Alan

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 iphone
1 standard ipad
1 mini ipad much lighter than standard one and fits in a small bag, used as camera, source of all lists, pre photographed maps and instructions, music, books.
apple boom box thingy had it years nice on ferry.
Couple of films on mini ipad for ferry.
1 or 2 TV's depending on time of year, who we are going with and where we are going .... Took small one but never turned it on whilst abroad 5 weeks last summer. But nice for the odd DVD in scotland when cold or wet.

Also cooking gadgets depending on time of year and where we are going seem to have developed a room in the house dedicated to all the options don't leave stuff in van on drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back