leaving fridge vents on? (1 Viewer)

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
First time I have managed to get away in ‘the winter’ and would like to ask for advice re the fridge vents. I have a Domestic fridge, when I purchased the van the vents on the outside did not have the extra covers so I picked up a set that I use to cover the vents when the van is not in use. Normally I remove these extra covers when the fridge is working. The question I have is that when I purchased the vents they were called winter covers.
Does this mean that when the weather is cold I should leave these covers on even when the fridge is working? When the covers are on there is still a small amount of the original vent showing mainly the right hand side and bottom louvers.

I will be using the fridge on 12 volt to travel and hopefully mains when on site but there will be times in the near future when it will be on gas.

Thanks Colin:thumb:

Manofvision

Free Member
Dec 1, 2008
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Colin,

The extra covers are in fact called "Winter Covers"
As a general principle you leave the vent covers on during the winter period in use or out of use as it makes the fridge/freezer more efficient and can cut down on any draughts. You are also advised by manufacturers to put the vent covers on when washing the vehicle particularly with a hose. During the other seasons when freezing or very low temperatures are not likely to occur the reccomendation from the manufactueres is that you should remove them as not to do so can interfere with the extra cooling and restrict the extra airflow that is required in hotter temperatures.
Hope that helps
Regards
Tony::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
AFAIK the covers are to prevent over cooling. You can use them with gas as they have a vent in the top and cover most of the bottom air draw vent. I recall reading somewhere that its not recommended to use the fridge without the covers when the outside temperature is 8'c or below.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
AFAIK the covers are to prevent over cooling. You can use them with gas as they have a vent in the top and cover most of the bottom air draw vent. I recall reading somewhere that its not recommended to use the fridge without the covers when the outside temperature is 8'c or below.

Any idea where I could buy some of this vents from??

Mike

Manofvision

Free Member
Dec 1, 2008
Middlesex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Mike,

The covers are usually available from motorhome dealers shops., or at the shows. You need to know the model of the fridge and then establish which vents you need. I got my last set from a Dometic spares shop.
Hope that helps

roadtraveller

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Kings Norton, Birmingham
Funster No
Exp
20 years plus
Hi Teasy I own a Autocruise Starblazer, and if you ring up Autocruise and I think they should be able to send you some by post, worth a try!

OP
OP
dencol

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Thanks for the advice if this weekend is anything to go by will def need to leave them on:Smile:

Re obtaining covers, I picked them up from a local motorhome dealer. However they tried to sell me the complete vent set not just the covers told me they could not be bought seperatly,:Sad: they can:thumb:. Also state the colour on your order as my sets could come in white, cream and what I would call 'off white'. I 'borrowed' a vent set from the display to check against the colour of the vans vents.

Thanks again Colin

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
mike i got mine from south Yorkshire caravans .called in with van as there are more than one type .will have a look at your type when we see you soon david .:thumb:

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
mike i got mine from south Yorkshire caravans .called in with van as there are more than one type .will have a look at your type when we see you soon david .:thumb:

Thanks David, that could be a nice little outing for an afternoon. We passed your neck of the woods this morning on the way to Lidl, but decided we had better give you a bell before we call.

Thanks Ginny and Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back