Leaving boiler and heater on? (2 Viewers)

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Quick question regarding the diesel heater and boiler with all the cold weather please:)

Would you/do you leave the heater on when you are not in the motorhome for a few hours to warm it up/keep it warm?

Would you/should you leave the simple Truma (BS10/14) boiler switched on to prevent it freezing/dumping water, instead of just turning it on when hot water is required?

Motorhome is currently being used, not in storage.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you have a relatively new or brand new Motorhome, you will definitely have good insulation and switching the heating off for a few hours should not have a catastrophic effect on the inside temperature and will give you peace of mind that all is safe and well while not in the motorhome and save you heating costs. At the end of the day, it's up to you and your preference. Just make sure your insurance covers the heating being on when the motorhome is unattended.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you very much. Any idea about the boiler? My boiler dumped water in the cold two days ago in the freezing weather and I now also need to top up the water tank, but a bit worried to do so in case it dumps again). I thought if I left the boiler on, it may not dump, or am I just being dumb? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The dump valve on your boiler is a safety device to stop freezing water turning to ice, expanding and slitting hoses etc. Check your manual, there may be a frost heater switch that stops water going below 6 deg. On my boiler, I have this option but choose not to use it. I just switch the pump off and let the boiler drop it's contents during the night if it drops below 6 deg and then in the morning close the valve and switch the pump on to refill the boiler. If your on hook up and can heat your water electrically, this may be the way to go but I would have thought you would have a frost protection option without having to switch your heating on.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks again. My boiler only works on gas.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The water heater left on won't break the bank. Once your water is up to temp. It will cut out and won't kick back in for a few hours.

We were recently in the highlands in freezing temps. and this was our solution. Always have the pump off when not in van or in bed.

Heating:- for a few hours, i would leave off as you can very quickly heat the van when you return. Unless of course it is minus 15 * outside.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks, that's very useful.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
In the UK

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Chausson Flash 10

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks Jim. Does the boiler dump water when it gets below a certain temperature?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A boiler is one of those things you're not sure whether using it regularly is a good or a bad thing for it. Longevity wise, I mean. Does it benefit from use or does it shorten its life.

Mine's been on at a low temp for a few months, bar a week or so ago when I turned it up high to test it was working, forgot about it, and when I came back a few hours later it had been set at 20degs! Warm and toasty it was.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When I'm at home both the heating and hot water are turned on if its cold. I never drain down cos I like to get up and go spur of the moment soave always has water in it.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We usually leave the boiler and heating on all the time unless we are paying electric by the kilowatt which we are at the moment so use the kettle to boil water for dishes, shower in the sites facilities.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A boiler is one of those things you're not sure whether using it regularly is a good or a bad thing for it. Longevity wise, I mean. Does it benefit from use or does it shorten its life.

Mine's been on at a low temp for a few months, bar a week or so ago when I turned it up high to test it was working, forgot about it, and when I came back a few hours later it had been set at 20degs! Warm and toasty it was.
I use all my services/appliances for a minimum of one hour a month. Also, when parked up on the driveway I will drive the Motorhome around 20 Miles every 4 weeks. To date, I have only had to clean the flue on my Fridge and this was after 4 years of usage and during my 2015 trip to morocco with the fridge mostly on gas. My Webasto heater has never been serviced and is now coming up to 6 years old and still faultless. My Habitation Air Con is still faultless, as is all of my electrical and gas side of the Motorhome. I maintain the engine in accordance with Fiat's servicing schedule. I'm of the view a little frequent use keeps everything ticking over as apposed to leaving everything switched off for long periods.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm of the view a little frequent use keeps everything ticking over as apposed to leaving everything switched off for long periods.
I would tend to agree, likewise I do drive the van regularly just to keep it ticking over etc. But I am willing to listen if it turns out to be wrong for the boiler.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I would tend to agree, likewise I do drive the van regularly just to keep it ticking over etc. But I am willing to listen if it turns out to be wrong for the boiler.
If you use your boiler when you use your van i would imagine that is what it is meant for. I know that in the manual of most vans it states that it should be used for holidays rather than full timing.

Only some of us have more holidays than others.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It is going to get chilly here in Spain over the next week when the weather that N.E. Europe has had sweeps down to us.
We are Lagered up at an ACSI site called Los Pinos in Peniscola, just so that we can put the van on hook-up and have the heating on tickover. It is supposed to get down to 7, 8, or 9 deg at Midday and close to Frio at night,
so we WILL be sucking some watts up. Our van has 500watt or 1Kw or 2Kw electric in the fire depending on selection. As well as gas when wilding, which do be MOSTLY doing ! ! ! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I would put my lecky fire on 500 watt if it was parked up at home and left in very cold weather. But I bought a 4 foot long tube heater, fastened it to a fireproof board, connected to the mains via a thermal switch set to about 5 degs. At 40 watts per foot I get a 160 watt heater that frost proofs the van and costs VERY little to run ! ! !
Just another suggestion...
Keep warm wherever you are.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back