leaving bikes on Bike rack full time

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Apr 11, 2013.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

As we are going to be away most weekends now in the MH I was considering leaving the 2 bikes on the bike rack (which is fixed to the rear panel) with covers on them. Anyone any comments on
    a) leaving bikes on full time, will it cause stress to the rear panel ??
    b) bike covers, are they any good ? any recommendations for covers ?

cheers

Ron

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

let me know where u will be i need a couple of bikes :Laughing::Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

A member of RVOC, had two expensive "Electric" bikes covered and well secured at a very busy private Meet/Rally last year "STOLEN"... by some Gypsy`s....:swear:

Cut through a proper security chain and took the covers off to get to the bikes...:Eeek:

So nothing is 100% safe if they are of a mind to nick them...:Angry:

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

As said elsewhere, if the thieves want them, they will be gone! All you can do is make it harder with a good chain and padlock.

Fiamma make a security cable >> http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-cable-lock-2-5m.html

Covers 2 bike >> http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-bike-cover-s-2-to-3-bikes.html

Hope this helps

Peter

5. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

We have just come back from our first longish trip in our moho with the bikes on the rack
    Ours is a Boxer van conversion and has the rack fixed to one of the rear doors
    I was surprised to find that the rack had bent downwards on the 'overhang' side
    The bikes are standard, not electric as our previous ones were, so a lot lighter.
    So if you are leaving the bikes on the rack for any length of time it is worth checking that you have loaded them with the heavy end, usually the rear, away from the overhanging end of the rack.
    The info on the rack says capacity is 35kg which I thought would be ample for our bikes although I have not weighed them, but gives no info on loading for each end of the rack.

As a retired locksmith
    An old friend of mine, with many years experience in the trade, told me
    'Locks are for honest people, if someone wants it they will have it !'

6. camocam1

thanks for the replies so far, not too bothered about the theft aspect as if someone wants them they will get them and is parked at the side of our house rear end in during the week. More concerned about the constant weight of the bikes on the rack and the MH may need to try and check rack model No and see if can get any loading info
    thanks again

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

When parked up your bikes put 1g on the back.

Go over a pothole and you might get 5g or more and that is repeated time and time again.

I don't think you have any problem at all.

8. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

We usually leave our bikes on the rack all the time, (2 x 20 odd kilo electric ones) and the van full of all we need for a week away so when we decide to go off we know we don't have to scurry around trying to remember where everything is.

9. camocam1

looks like the bikes can stay on the racks so ready to go, just need to decide if I want to faff about with covers or not

thanks everyone

10. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

If the bikes are of sufficient value, I would fit a cover, especially when travelling on wet roads.
    This will protect them from a lot of dirt.

11. coffeeroffey

coffeeroffey Funster

If its of any interest to you Argos do a barbecue cover which has a bit more substance to it compared to the Fiamma bike cover and its big enough to cover two standard bikes.
    I only wish I had known about this before spending a fortune on fiamma covers!!
    Catalogue Number 345/0712

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phill D

Phill D

avoid the Fiamma covers they are not good quality and cost "A lot" :Eeek:

13. camocam1

thanks for the info on the Argos cover will check that out

cheers

14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I've heard Taylormade do a good bike cover.

15. bluemog

bluemog Funster

New Biker

My Eldiss Aspire had to have a towbar fitted to take a bike rack since they (Eldiss) won't ratify one stuck on the rear panel. Very expensive option because Witter is the only type approved towbar although I did get a cracking deal from Discount Towing Services in Hull who charged me less (delivered) than my local towbar dealer can buy them for!
    I bought two electric bikes and took them away last weekend for the first time. Unlike our normal luck, everything went perfectly apart from the Halfords cover which must be big enough to take half a dozen bikes (slight exaggeration but you get the point?). Lots of spare ends to tuck away to enable the indicators and lights to be seen so I'm now purchasing a gross of bungees to cure the problem!
    I'm almost manic about getting the bikes stolen although the rack (Dutch) does have secure locks and I also attach a chain and U lock but take the point that if some 'pond life' takes a fancy to them then there's little you can do.
    I wonder if the 'grey' law that you can use reasonable force to protect yourself and property from a burglar also applies to scum rooting around the rear of your MH? :Angry:The sight of someone else's blood has never made me queasy! :Smile:

16. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

On a separate note, insurance may well not cover them whilst on the rack. My household insurance covers them whist in garage at home, locked to a fixed object whilst away, or inside a vehicle whilst away. May not influence you, but may be something to take into account.