Leather Interior

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by UK Pete, May 1, 2015.

1. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

My van has a leather interior, all the seating and bed is upholstered in leather , it is really nice and very forgiving if you spill anything, its nice to open the door and get that whiff of leather, however when its a hot day, and i have not left the roof lights open ,wow it can really be quite strong
    My question, is there a product that i can treat the leather which will keep it in nice condition and also tone it down a bit
    pete

• Like Like x 1
  2. musson

musson Funster

Have a look at autoglem range they may have something or go to one off the furniture stores they sell leather cleaning kits

3. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Still on leather but slightly off topic.
    Pete, can I ask what colour leather it is. We plan on having a leather trim put with our fabric. We were going cream trim, but don't fancy it cracking and getting grubby. In the cracks. Something pointed out to us by a fellow funster. I don't know if it's a common occurrence.
    We fancy mushroom or a medium brown now. Has your leather cracked?
    Also if it still smells so strong , his long have you had the van , please.

4. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

I had a car with cream leather seats they always needed cleaning showing a bit off a blue colour from wearing jeans

• Like Like x 1
  5. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

The leather has to be 5 years old, it is in outstanding condition, the upholsterer who done the job has made a perfect job of it and the quality is top notch , no cracks atal , i cant share any details as the previous owner had it done by the outfit that fitted out the van, it is black with grey inlay
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sloany198

Sloany198 Funster

We have cream leather in our van. It is 5 years old and pretty much as good as new with only minimal creasing.

7. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

It depends on the quality of the leather.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

We had our van reupholstered in leather about 18 months ago. We were advised not to use leather cleaner on it but use Johnsons baby wipes instead.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

Best treatment for leather seats? Recommended to me some time ago by a Rolls Royce man no less - water! (Best applied on a warm day to maximise absorption)

10. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

When I bought my sofas, I was told to use noting on it but a damp cloth. I have leather seats in my mini, but they are a dark blue, still look good after 10 years.

11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Leather bed? Kinky beast!

My neighbour here in spain has leather in their Rapido, was struck how comfortable it is, looks real nice. But bed a bit OTT?

12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I use the Autoglym leather cleaner and treatment on ours and would say that it has it own leather smell which only last a couple of days or so, after that there is not particularly an aroma of leather, @UK Pete I don't know why yours is quite so strong, possibly just a smaller space but not sure that a treatment will stop it.

13. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Our van has cream coloured leather upholstery and is 5 years old, the leather smell ceased after about 6 months, the boss gives it a wipe down with a damp cloth then some leather cleaner/food, still as good as new, would certainly have another van with leather seats.

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Our motorhome has cream leather seats (but not beds-sounds a bit kinky). They are brilliant.

15. Terry

Terry Funster

I have had leather in the house for almost 40 yrs and I used to use FRALING leather food once a yr -I have always only wiped it down with warm water with a little mild detergent ie Johnsons baby shampoo -very small amount in a bucket of warm water --I found in the transit with leather seats that it was more comfy to turn the leather over and sleep on the under side as my memory foam mattress slid off when I turned over :D
    terry

16. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

thanks Terry I will try that on the seats of my jag.

17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I found baby wipes as good as anything for bringing leather seats back. If they are to far gone then its an expensive Connolly job.

18. dewaltman

dewaltman

Advised to use Johnson baby wipes ( no other brand) by reupholstered 3 years later as good as new

• Like Like x 2
  19. andrewjw

andrewjw Funster

We use "Dr Leather" cleaning wipes (available from Amazon) on our cream leather seats...they do the job beautifully and smell lovely!

We were a bit concerned that cream leather would be a pain to keep looking good but It has proved very practical so far with far less need for the cleaning wipes than we expected...also very comfortable and cool to sit on.