Leasure battery is it terminal

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by betterthenatent, Sep 16, 2010.

  1. betterthenatent

    betterthenatent Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi My leasure battery wont hold a charge I looked at the electrolyte level the other day and all the cells needed topping up. (one other thing that the selling dealer didnt check). I have resignd my self to replacing the battery. But the only thing that concirns me is its demise due to old age or is it being discharged through a leakage some where. Am i right in thinking that If the aux- veh switch is in the centre position then no currant can escape. Also does the veicle battery get charged when the hook up is connected. New to this game so there may be a few more of these silly questions.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,455
    Likes Received:
    16,885
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    put the switch in the center (off) position and the battery will neither receive a charge or discharge through use (though it will 'self' discharge over time) providing nothing is connected between battery and switch.....alarm etc.

    in the center position the charger/power supply alone will power any 12v equipment without charging the battery.

    your engine battery will charge on hookup if the panel switch is set to 'VEH' and, if not hooked up, you can use the engine battery as an emergency leisure battery by switching to VEH, but not advised for any length of time or the engine battery will also be flat when you need it most.
     
  3. betterthenatent

    betterthenatent Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for that. We have just got back from two days static with the hook up connected and the switch set to aux. within twenty four hours the volt meter read nine volts. (its lowest reading) The water pump still runs, but lights are dim.
     
  4. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,455
    Likes Received:
    16,885
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    sounds like your charger is either faulty or turned off as when on hookup and switched to aux the charger will divert power to the leisure battery.

    if you have a volt/multi meter connect it to the battery with the hookup off and note the voltage at the battery.
    connect hookup and recheck....it should read higher with hookup connected.

    if its no different check the charger is on and the fuse is ok....the fuse may be in a linear fuse holder on the charger casing.
    look for a small slotted plastic screw in cover about the width of a toothpaste tube top otherwise check both the 12v and 230v fuse boxs.

    if its all on and fuses ok then i suspect a faulty charger.

    ps...9v is dangerously low, battery health wise, and the chances of permanant battery damage is extremely likely.
     
  5. betterthenatent

    betterthenatent Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2010
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    With the hook up connected the leasure battery reads over twelve volts on the control panel
     
  6. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
    That being the case and from your own observations, I would say the battery is not just terminal .. but dead .. no change of remission. :Sad:
     
  7. robnchris

    robnchris Funster

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1,332
    Likes Received:
    1,555
    Location:
    Chester
    it`s a goner

    It`s off to buy a new battery for you I`m afraid, with a reading of 9 volts the battery is well and truly a goner.
    A battery is considered fully charged with a reading of 12.8 volts, a reading of 9 volts sounds like you have a shorted cell.
     
  8. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2007
    Messages:
    29,455
    Likes Received:
    16,885
    Location:
    YO11 2BD
    the control panel is reading the battery charger output volts, via the battery,...not the actual battery volts.

    you now need to disconnect the hookup and check the volts again, off hookup, after an hour or so.
     
Loading...

Share This Page