Leaky window fix advice please

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by paul18, Oct 6, 2015.

1. paul18

paul18 Funster

Opened one of the windows today, to find it had stuck somewhat to the sealing strip, thus causing a thin piece of rubber to come away adhered to the window. Now when shut completely the rain oozes in down the side and collectson the inside. The only way to prevent this is to leave the window on first latch so there is no seal and the water can run away. Is anyone aware of a fix, short of replacing the whole strip of course?

2. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Probably not, I would say is the quick answer. A company I have used a lot and have proved very useful is sealsdirect.co.uk I have fabricated many replacement seals using the stuff they sell.

3. Neckender

Neckender Funster

4. paul18

paul18 Funster

I was thinking about maybe putting a strip of rubber on the window to oppose the seal edges? Not sure i want to start taking window to bits. I will certainly get some of that rubber conditioner to put on the ither window seals

5. Masman

Masman Funster

cant help with seals.But to stop your windows sticking to seals.give them a good clean,then rub talcolm powder onto rubber and they wont stick/been doing this for years and never had a window sticking to seal(y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

Lip balm does the same job as the ebay conditioner--Yes try sicking some stick on draught excluder on to stop the water
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  7. paul18

paul18 Funster

Found something on here that should do the trick. 10 metres, so will have plenty left if any other windiw seals go (van us 11 years old afterall)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Happy to help, their prices are dead reasonable (IMHO), I have replaced a few seals in the van using their products. Also, they normally send a discount voucher for future purchases :D