Leaky shower mixer tap - repair options? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Checking our 10 year old CI Carioca over today, I find the shower mixer tap is leaking below the handle whenever the pump is switched on, even when the handle is in the cold/closed position. This is causing the pump to operate intermittently, which leads to more leaking.

Broken Link Removed

I'm assuming this is down to a defunct washer, but I need to fix this in the next few days and have very little spare time due to work, so booking it into a repair shop isn't an option.

Is this something that can be fixed easily from the tap side, and if so, how do I dismantle the tap?

Alternatively, am I going to have to remove the entire corner panel (held on with 8 screws and sealant) and replace the whole mixer tap unit? I'm very wary of this due to the risk of splitting a tall floppy panel with metal bits attached to it..

Broken Link Removed

As you can see above, it's superimposed onto the two side wall panels, so (in theory) cutting the sealant and taking the screws out should reveal all?

Of course we can just be careful about not leaving the pump on during our next trip and there'll be no major disasters, but I'd prefer to get it fixed if possible.

Any advice/pointers appreciated as always.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That tap looks similar to the ones I have here on sinks etc. If you prise off the plastic cap underneath handle you should find access to the Allen screw that holds on the handle. Remove this & the handle & this will allow you to dismantle the tap assembly from base without having to remove panels etc.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We had the same issue when we bought our MoHo, I think it was due to the original owner saying they had never used the shower so I assumed the washer/seals had gone hard/leaky/brittle through lack of use.

I pulled the tap to the wide open point (no pump or water on) then sprayed GT85 into/under the tap head. I worked it in by moving the tap up, down, side to side. I then ran the shower on really hot only, hoping the seal would soften up with the heat........... Voila, never had a leak since.

If it's through lack of use then this may work (did for us) but if just started its seals are probably knackered, then strip is the only way I believe.
Give it a blast.(y)

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We didn't use it much to begin with, but have been using it regularly in recent years so my guess is that a washer has fallen apart. It was left in storage over winter in the open position to make sure it drained down properly - I'm thinking the washer may have mis-shapen or deteriorated then.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
If it was leaking directly out of winter storage I would suspect a cracked tap body. (Sorry :blush:)
Should be able to replace the body without removing the complete tap by undoing the Allen screw beneath the red/blue cover which prises off. You may have to buy a complete tap but only need to change the body. I hope I'm wrong and it is an easy repair for you.
Good luck. (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Strip it down and if it's not obvious what's wrong take the bits and a picture on your phone of it assembled to your local plumbers supplies. They are sure to have seen one and should be able to help you fix it.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Could be the same problem we had with the caravan. The ceramic cartridge leaks. Could have a slight crack in it but we couldn't see it in ours. This is what you want.
Broken Link Removed
You can buy them from caravan/moho dealer but pay about £15.
Easy job to do. Prise out red/blue plastic indicator in tap handle. In hole is a small allen key grub screw. Undo this and then carefully pull tap handle off. It's on a spline so could be a bit tight. Unscrew chrome surround and then a brass nut is exposed. Undo this and ceramic cartridge lifts out. Reassemble in reverse order making sure small pegs on cartridge are located properly.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Sorted - apparently. After treating myself to a new set of Allen keys (you never have the exact one you urgently need do you?) I removed the cartridge from the shower unit, dismantled it, checked it over, couldn't see any obvious damage, and reassembled it. Then I had the brainwave of swapping it with the cartridge in the sink tap to see if it still leaked. With both cartridges installed in their new taps I tentatively switched the pump on, and neither leaked. Not a drop. Conclusion? Either dismantling and reassembling the shower cartridge had somehow solved the problem, or the big brass retaining nut in the shower tap had worked loose enough to let some water dribble from of the back of the cartridge.

Unfortunately I had the brainwave after ordering two replacement C35 cartridges on eBay, but what the Hell, a tenner for future peace of mind isn't too much to pay is it?

However, on my trip to town to get the Allen keys my car's newish front tyre went flat with a large screw sticking out of it in a place that couldn't be repaired, and after pumping it back up enough to make it to KwikFit I was informed that my front brake pads also needed replacing. £120 Kerchiiiing. So it goes - I needed the Allen keys anyway so no avoiding that.

Thanks for all the prompt tips and advice folks - one of the many reasons I like using this forum.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would be a little sceptical of quick fits advice they always seem to find a few more jobs to do!!!

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Did you get the "old" pads back? I would have asked to see them.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I take your points re KwikFit but I was in a rush today, and as my daughter and her boyfriend will be borrowing the car soon I didn't feel like quibbling over brake wear. I get the next two sets of pads for free, which my usual garage wouldn't be offering.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back