Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
Hi is there anyone that knows the best way to seal a fibre glass roof on my van, had it in several times but still leaks, they sealed around skylight but water still finding it's way in roof never been painted, maybe it's puruss I dont know
as I am disable and cant climb a ladder I cant do myself, I dont look for it done for nothing, if there is someone that can do it I am prepared pay, as I would like to go to the rallie at Eden camp

cheers George

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi George

I do hope someone can help you fix leaky roof, but,

In order for someone to volunteer to help, you will need to let them know where you are based, as it doesn't mention where you are in your profile.

Then perhaps someone can help you......... I do hope so:Smile:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Leaking roof

Hi is there anyone that knows the best way to seal a fibre glass roof on my van, had it in several times but still leaks, they sealed around skylight but water still finding it's way in roof never been painted, maybe it's puruss I dont know
as I am disable and cant climb a ladder I cant do myself, I dont look for it done for nothing, if there is someone that can do it I am prepared pay, as I would like to go to the rallie at Eden camp

cheers George

Hi George, if you live anywhere Doncaster, Sheffield area, let me know. I'll gladly take a look for you.
Kind regards, Lance.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if theres no damage, it must be leaking at a seam or pooling on the roof then running in the rooflight. if the rooflight has been removed and resealed, did they use the correct products and not overtighten when refitting

your post is a little lacking in detail, so a bit more info will help. such as where the water is seen coming in and age of van and what exactly has been tried.

ive seen well meaning people try sealing leaks with bathroom type silicon sealant. this wont stick and pretty much always continues to leak

maybe if somebody local took a look for you we might be better able to advise how to fix it or who to take the van to

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
latest on leaking roof, from messaging.

Hi George, if you live anywhere Doncaster, Sheffield area, let me know. I'll gladly take a look for you.
Kind regards, Lance.:thumb:

Hi lance I live in Whitby, but would like to go to Eden camp if can get it done in time what had you in mind to fix it with, I though a good wire brushing and then painting
Cheers George

Hi George, I would have thought the fibreglass on the roof would have to be in a seriously worn condition to be porous. I would think it all depends on the condition of the roof panel, the seams and seals/sealants. It may be that the sealants have hardened and cracked, whereby they need raking out and resealing, , I myself would probably consider using Sikkaflex 512 or 221 (or even EBT, as recently recommended).
If the seals are all in order, the skylite seals are all in order, and the fiberglass roof is badly worn and the epoxy resin worn through or deteriorated, then I would even consider the surface be extensively cleaned and Gel coated.
To be totally honest, all this is supposition, as without seeing the roof.
Unfortunately, I am 100+ miles away from Whitby. However, could you not have a reputable company take a look, if no other funsters a near enough in order to assess the condition of the panel and seams? You say it has been in several times but it still leaks, has it been to a reputable company or tradesman? What do they have to say?
Also, what type and year is the vehicle and has it been regularly maintained, just so I have some perspective on this.

It's a high top van ex militry the garage I think only seal around rooflight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's a high top van ex militry the garage I think only seal around the skylihgt.[/QUOTE]

Hi George, unfortunately, if you took it to a 'garage', they may not have the knowledge or correct materials for your roof problem, no disrespect. It may be necessary for you to get the vehicle to a reputable caravan / motorhome dealer or service center or at the very least have a local mobile service/ repair engineer attend to the vehicle. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
due to vibration and flexing, the rooflight needs puting in on a bed of non setting mastic. to be honest from the description of an old ex military vehicle, if the skylight is original, i would replace it. the plastic deteriorates rapidly in sunlight and gets brittle. taking it out and refitting is likely to crack it. a replacement wont be expensive, probably about £40 plus mastic and fitting. should only take about an hour to do for somebody fit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back