Leaky overflow from cold water storage tank (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi
Help again pse.
We have cold water storage tank under the bed and have noticed the overflow underneath the back of the vehicle is continually drip leaking.:cry:

Any ideas pse ????????

Many thanks
Jaen and Colin

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

Surley the only way that an overflow pipe would be leaking is if the tank had been overfilled. Sounds obvious but !!!!

Jim :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi
Help again pse.
We have cold water storage tank under the bed and have noticed the overflow underneath the back of the vehicle is continually drip leaking.:cry:

Any ideas pse ????????

Many thanks
Jaen and Colin

Strange a cold water storage tank should have an overflow.Ours has a breather next to the filler and that's it.The only ones that might drip are the Black or Grey waste tanks.

Then it's time to dump them.Have you traced it back?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
leaky overflow

Hi
Sorry should have put that no it is not overfilled, we rarely fill completely anyway and sensors tell us and we look. Two overflow pipes out of top going into the one (i guess) comes out underneath. We usually fill to about 2/3 inches from the top - well clear of the overflow.
What is weird is overflow out of tank is nowhere near water level in the tank but still dripping underneath.
Did overfill once ages ago cuz water pressure was so low and took ages and forgot - whoops - perhaps that caused something??????
Grey and black water in completely different place.
Hope this helps and you have some more ideas cuz we is flumoxed and bewildered and as I am blonde its not a good combination:Doh:
Cheers:thumb:
Jaen

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Strange a cold water storage tank should have an overflow.Ours has a breather next to the filler and that's it.The only ones that might drip are the Black or Grey waste tanks.

Then it's time to dump them.Have you traced it back?

Yes, mine has a breather next to the filler, it also has a drain valve at the bottom of the tank because there is always a little bit of water left in after I have emptied it through the dump hose. The drain valve at the bottom of the tank on mine leaks a little.

Maybe thats it.

Jim :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You didn't say how long this dripping goes on for?

I'm wondering if anything else tees into this pipe.

I know it's drastic but I guess you could always add some food colouring to the water and put a drip tray under the pipe to verify this IS the source if it really is becoming a problem.Does it drip with minimal amount of water in the tank?

Would mean flushing completely after.Pink or blue tea might not be too appealing.:Doh:

I can see why you're flumoxed.

I'm sure there will be better ideas out there.

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You know what they say, if it walks like duck and quacks like a duck, its probabley a duck.

If your water tank isnt overfilled then its probabley not the water tank thats leaking. :shout:

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Leaky do dah

Thanks peoples - as it is raining again!!! OH not too keen on crawling underneath to check if we have a drain tap - but will do when it stops (sometime this year!!!):cry:
Keep the ideas coming they are great.:thumb: Concerned cuz we off to Sussex in two weeks (to indulge grandchildren::bigsmile:) and would prefer sorted incase journey makes it worse (and more expensive)
Aint this one big huge learning curve but we luuuuuv it so much.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Just need my comfy seat I winged about in another thread.:ROFLMAO: Who the hell invented bucket seats - methinks a small person (no disrespect to anyone intended) but we are both 6ft tall and I do struggle with small seats. Sory I digress:Doh:
Cheers
Jaen

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sounds more like its the drain down valve thats leaking, that will then leak however full the tank is as it's at the bottom. It is more likely to get worse rather than better but it's worth checking it is turned right off.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If we fill our tank just a little too much the the overflow pipe can act like a syphon and slowly trickle empty the tank over a day or so Also if the RV really rocks and spills water through the overflow the syphon action can start the trickle off.

Noting the position of your tank, are you doing anything that might rock it?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Are you doing anything that might rock it?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I thought these big RV's had hydraulic leveling jacks Jim!

I don't need them the only thing that makes our van rock, is the wind.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It sound's like the drain tap letting by, on our van the overflow tee's into the same pipe that you drain down with,on our's you can see the tap under the seat I have put a valve on the overflow to shut when we are on the move, as we would fill up and everytime you went around a bend you lost all the water, can't be doing that when your paying 2 euros for 100litres.:roflmto::roflmto:

Regards. Bob.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If we fill our tank just a little too much the the overflow pipe can act like a syphon and slowly trickle empty the tank over a day or so Also if the RV really rocks and spills water through the overflow the syphon action can start the trickle off.

Noting the position of your tank, are you doing anything that might rock it?

just what do you and sian get up to jim:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi everyone
So gratefull for all the ideas. No we dont rock on a normal day!! we do rock !! with the very high wind:Eeek: but sorry folks the leak is continual. :cry:
Just need the rain to stop and we can investigate.:cry:
Have just eaten my version of fish pie yum yum :thumb:and watching the hairy bakers so its goin to be the morning to be crawling under.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And now its new tricks - us oldies love it.
Catch up on replies in morning.
Once again many thanks for all the help.
Cheers
Jaen

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
hi Colin and Jaen

A complete shot in the dark from me - is your hot water tank anywhere near your cold water tank? Our hot water tank had a problem with a constant leaking pressure relief valve - if your hot water tank is close by, maybe you should check that out as well.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The Overflow pipe and Drain pipe on our Fresh water tank are connected together by a Tee joint, There is a 2 way manually operated valve located in the Drain pipe prior to the Tee joint. If this valve is not holding properly or has worked loose slightly, then any water in the tank will gradually drip through.

If this is the cause it will most probably only get worse as the seating may be slightly worn, very similar to a tap washer wearing out in the sink or bath at home.

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi everyone - problem solved.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Taps that we alter to fill, go on city water and drain - the one that drains is leaking slightly - big job to take panel off and sort so solved by putting tap on the end of the leaking drain under vehicle which we will need to open when and if we drain tank. We live full time so not urgent. Goes in for its tlc in January (mot and interior check etc etc) can be sorted then.

Big huge thanks for all your ideas and help:thumb::thumb: - we had no idea - if this helps anyone else who comes up with similar problem - brill.

This site is amazing - so much help - hope that we can help one day with things that we learn along the way.

Yep its still rainy here but we said what the hell and cooked and ate outside under the awning with neighbours. Great fun.

Take care everyone
Jaen and Colin

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks peoples - as it is raining again!!! OH not too keen on crawling underneath to check if we have a drain tap - but will do when it stops (sometime this year!!!):cry:
Keep the ideas coming they are great.:thumb: Concerned cuz we off to Sussex in two weeks (to indulge grandchildren::bigsmile:) and would prefer sorted incase journey makes it worse (and more expensive)
Jaen

Oh well if you hsve any problems, which I doubt, you can always pop in and see us:thumb:

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back