Leaking windows - advice please

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Lot lover, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Windows that did not leak during the summer rains are incapable of withstanding autumn rain (both French and British). It has been suggested that the long hot summer sun has dried out the seals though one of the windows subsequently repaired itself.

Other FUN threads recommend the removal of the offending window, resealing with Silkaflex and replacement but which Silkaflex product ? The threads in question give conflicting advice, a situation not helped by a plethora of products here in France.

I am hoping that the collective wisdom of those that know more than I (roughly 7 billion people) will point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

2. nomadic

nomadic Funster

We have experienced a leaking window, here in France. The window in question is, when parked at home, in direct sun light.

The rain did soak through, and when I inspected it, all the original sealant had eroded. Removed as much as I could and purchased a tube of translucent silicone and applicator gun, from a local Bricolage, just over 14 euros, and sealed the window. I have not removed the window, just watching it for now.

3. nomadic

nomadic Funster

We have experienced a leaking window, here in France. The window in question is, when parked at home, in direct sun.

The rain did soak through, and when I inspected it, all the original sealant had eroded. Removed as much as I could and purchased a tube of translucent silicone and applicator gun, from a local Bricolage, just over 14 euros, and sealed the window. I have not removed the window, just watching it for now.

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Sikaflex is an adhesive as well as any sealing properties so if you want to stand a chance of ever getting it out against I would say put it back in with non setting mastic which I am sure you will find it was done with originally so the bonus will be a lot less cleaning up before you refit than there would be if you were to go the Sikaflex/PU adhesive route.

Martin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. rb62

rb62 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Isn't butile tape the correct sealant for setting Windows?

7. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure.

Sorry, not a permanent solution but just love saying/typing it.

Did our roof for a bit!