Leaking toilet thread again (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry - have read all the threads on here but none the wiser.
When we open the hatch in the van to pull out the cassette and empty it, it is often either splashed and occasionally drenched with wee. Mopping out with kitchen roll has become the norm. The sliding part between loo and cassette seems to work fine. Is it something we're doing wrong?
Just bought it and know it should all be working fine.
Hoping it's just a newbie mistake.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
To be honest I have never read instruction "how to use the toilet" but I think you have two choices.

1/ leave the flap closed until finished and then open.

2/ open flap and "bombs away".

Under scenario 1/ the seal between the casette and the pan is tested more than in 2/ as it may have to hold back a volume of liquid.

I would have a look at replacing the seal on top of the casette for starters.

Martin

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Are you closing the blade seal after using toilet and ensuring its closed befor travelling? Contents could swill over the rubber seal causing he problems you mention. Closing the blade valve each and every time and ensuring its closed properly and locked in place (you can feel the extra little click) should solve this. If it doesn't I think it could be the blade flap sealing ring that is u/s.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
When we open the hatch in the van to pull out the cassette and empty it, it is often either splashed and occasionally drenched with wee. Mopping out with kitchen roll has become the norm. The sliding part between loo and cassette seems to work fine. Is it something we're doing wrong?
We had a similar problem intermittently with our cassette, I solved it by putting a strip of foam (piece of kip mat) under the end of the cassette so that it fitted more tightly against the seal.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bit of a long shot, but is there any kind of SOG system fitted, possibly incorrectly or part dismantled? They connect to a valve on top and could lead to leaks if not fitted right?

Other than that it is hard to see how it can leak, have you tried filing it with water and shaking it to se if anything comes out?

Good thing is brand new cassettes are available as a spare and don't cost too much (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Ours used to leak as you carried it vertically to empty it. I fitted a new seal and it still leaked. The circular blade which slides across to close against the seal has a spigot on the bottom which forces the blade against the seal as it slides on the cam track, mine had worn down a bit, so wasn't applying sufficient pressure to make a seal. I made a small nylon button on my lathe to take up the slack and that fixed it. Try a new seal first, they cost around 10 or 12 quid when I bought mine and if it still leaks, maybe try a new blade as well ? :)
Edit: just seen Golly's post, does your cassette have wheels on it ? I remember someone saying that they wear down over time and don't park up as tightly to the bowl. A quick fix is to wrap a few layers of insulation tape around the wheels to make 'tyres' to reposition the cassette (y)

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
We always close the seal blade after use. Never heard a click lock though. No it doesn't have wheels Jock

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Before you pull the cassette out open the flap for a few seconds,this will any allow water resting on top of the flap to drain into the tank. If this doesn't work a new seal is required. Joe

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The chances of it being the seal between the two parts is unlikely. Under normal usage this seal doesn't have a head of water above it. I would think either another seal below effluent level or an air vent problem. I think parts kits are available from manufacture if it is this problem.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The chances of it being the seal between the two parts is unlikely. Under normal usage this seal doesn't have a head of water above it. I would think either another seal below effluent level or an air vent problem. I think parts kits are available from manufacture if it is this problem.
Most people flush after use then quickly shut the flap this doesn't allow all the water to drain after a few minutes the water sits on top of the blade.

Joe

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Most people flush after use then quickly shut the flap this doesn't allow all the water to drain after a few minutes the water sits on top of the blade.
Joe
Perhaps you should ask the poster about her flushing habits.:) I've had a number of toilets, never had a joint seal leak but had other seals leak on occasions. I would suggest leaving tissue strategically adjacent to all joints to judge where the leak starts.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We had same thing happen to us.
I looked at buying a freshen up kit (new cassette, seat etc), but couldn't find (at the time) the right one.
Ended up taking the blade mechanism apart..... And giving it a good soak and clean. A bit messy, but it did the trick. Got this pic off the web

image.jpeg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've got a leaky seal but it's got bugger all to do with the loo. Tenna for men rules ko (y) :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Joe

Some people use it with the blade shut.

Martin

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We had the exact same thing happening with ours on our previous van, C250 model,turned out to be the seal (cost around £10 ) very easy to replace, you can tell when the seals are worn as when you push/pull the lever on the toilet to close the slide from the inside of the van you feel a little bit of pressure just before it seals shut, when they are knackered you feel no pressure when the seal closes on the hatch.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We had the exact same thing happening with ours on our previous van, C250 model,turned out to be the seal (cost around £10 ) very easy to replace, you can tell when the seals are worn as when you push/pull the lever on the toilet to close the slide from the inside of the van you feel a little bit of pressure just before it seals shut, when they are knackered you feel no pressure when the seal closes on the hatch.
The seal and blade you describe is inside the casette so should not leak into the casette compartment anyway, it might dribble on the way to the dump though so watch your best shoes!! . It is the same seal that seals against the underside of the pan so it could well sort it by default is that is where it's leaking.

Martin

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
It would appear we had the same problem,Golly,has the right idea,we put two running strips where he wheels track and a strip to support the handle end,sorted.
When the "Bond" between the cassette and the housing is correct,there is a need to push it quite firmly to locate it back into its position.
Silly i know,but you are locating it under the casing correctly ?. I found on one unit,the bump stop did not position the cassette properly,so whenn its in position,make sure the openings line up.
Tea Bag.
PS. I had to struggle to post this,finding other words for...Hole/s LOL

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Check the pivot screw for the blade lever, mine came loose & eventually dropped out. Result was that blade didn't fully lift up against the seal & set up a slight leak. all OK once screw refitted & tightened.
Barrie.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had the same problem with a Thetford Casette toilet in a Bailey ranger caravan. On removing the cassette it was obvious that urine and other fluids were leaking into the locker. The space below the cassette was always running with liquid that had to be removed with a sponge or kitchen roll.

Despite several attempts to repair it with new seals etc. Bailey eventually agreed to replace the whole installation, including toilet bowl, Casette pod etc. Our local Bailey authorised repairer changed the lot and we had no further trouble.

If the unit is still under warranty it may be sensible to insist on the same.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Chances are it's just not pushing up tightly against the underneath of the bowl ... we had this on other MHs and simply putting something underneath the cassette to lift it a little so it fitted tight up solved the problem.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
To be honest I have never read instruction "how to use the toilet" but I think you have two choices.

1/ leave the flap closed until finished and then open.

2/ open flap and "bombs away".

Under scenario 1/ the seal between the casette and the pan is tested more than in 2/ as it may have to hold back a volume of liquid.

I would have a look at replacing the seal on top of the casette for starters.

Martin
I couldn't even read when mummy taught me to use the toilet

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
What model toilet? If it's a Dometic 41** or 31** it has to be used flap open.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dealing with bodily fluids can be a serious bio hazard especially if they are left to fester. best thing for dealing with a leaking cassette toilet is kitty litter. soaks it all up quickly and gets rid of the smell.

refurbishing the cassette is pretty easy and all the parts can be bought separately on ebay etc. the main ring seal does tend to dry out and become hard. sometimes they can be refreshed by cleaning then soaking in boiling water. then place in a bag in your freezer to help it regain shape. before reinstalling coat it with olive oil.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Are you 100% sure its urine ? I had troubles with mine it was a valve leaking flush water took a while to discover and fiddle to change but not expensive.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The simple answer is. Do you check that the "Bowl" is completely empty?. Before removing the cassette?. The last flush, before you empty leaves a small amount of water on the surfaces of the bowl, this drains to the bottom (No Pun!) and collects on the top of the seal cover. When you remove the cassette this "Water" which may be Tainted, finds its way into the cassette compartment. I always open and then close the "trap" before going to empty the Cassette.

Pete

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks we will try that