Leaking toilet thread again

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Sorry - have read all the threads on here but none the wiser.
    When we open the hatch in the van to pull out the cassette and empty it, it is often either splashed and occasionally drenched with wee. Mopping out with kitchen roll has become the norm. The sliding part between loo and cassette seems to work fine. Is it something we're doing wrong?
    Just bought it and know it should all be working fine.
    Hoping it's just a newbie mistake.

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

To be honest I have never read instruction "how to use the toilet" but I think you have two choices.

1/ leave the flap closed until finished and then open.

2/ open flap and "bombs away".

Under scenario 1/ the seal between the casette and the pan is tested more than in 2/ as it may have to hold back a volume of liquid.

I would have a look at replacing the seal on top of the casette for starters.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Are you closing the blade seal after using toilet and ensuring its closed befor travelling? Contents could swill over the rubber seal causing he problems you mention. Closing the blade valve each and every time and ensuring its closed properly and locked in place (you can feel the extra little click) should solve this. If it doesn't I think it could be the blade flap sealing ring that is u/s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. golly

golly Funster

We had a similar problem intermittently with our cassette, I solved it by putting a strip of foam (piece of kip mat) under the end of the cassette so that it fitted more tightly against the seal.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Bit of a long shot, but is there any kind of SOG system fitted, possibly incorrectly or part dismantled? They connect to a valve on top and could lead to leaks if not fitted right?

Other than that it is hard to see how it can leak, have you tried filing it with water and shaking it to se if anything comes out?

Good thing is brand new cassettes are available as a spare and don't cost too much (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I would fit a new Lip Seal there about a tenner

• Like Like x 2
  7. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Ours used to leak as you carried it vertically to empty it. I fitted a new seal and it still leaked. The circular blade which slides across to close against the seal has a spigot on the bottom which forces the blade against the seal as it slides on the cam track, mine had worn down a bit, so wasn't applying sufficient pressure to make a seal. I made a small nylon button on my lathe to take up the slack and that fixed it. Try a new seal first, they cost around 10 or 12 quid when I bought mine and if it still leaks, maybe try a new blade as well ? :)
    Edit: just seen Golly's post, does your cassette have wheels on it ? I remember someone saying that they wear down over time and don't park up as tightly to the bowl. A quick fix is to wrap a few layers of insulation tape around the wheels to make 'tyres' to reposition the cassette (y)

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks
    We always close the seal blade after use. Never heard a click lock though. No it doesn't have wheels Jock

9. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Before you pull the cassette out open the flap for a few seconds,this will any allow water resting on top of the flap to drain into the tank. If this doesn't work a new seal is required. Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks Joe I'll try that.

11. buttons

buttons Funster

The chances of it being the seal between the two parts is unlikely. Under normal usage this seal doesn't have a head of water above it. I would think either another seal below effluent level or an air vent problem. I think parts kits are available from manufacture if it is this problem.

12. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Most people flush after use then quickly shut the flap this doesn't allow all the water to drain after a few minutes the water sits on top of the blade.

Joe

• Like Like x 2
  13. buttons

buttons Funster

Perhaps you should ask the poster about her flushing habits.:) I've had a number of toilets, never had a joint seal leak but had other seals leak on occasions. I would suggest leaving tissue strategically adjacent to all joints to judge where the leak starts.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mr B

Mr B Funster

We had same thing happen to us.
    I looked at buying a freshen up kit (new cassette, seat etc), but couldn't find (at the time) the right one.
    Ended up taking the blade mechanism apart..... And giving it a good soak and clean. A bit messy, but it did the trick. Got this pic off the web

image.jpeg

15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I've got a leaky seal but it's got bugger all to do with the loo. Tenna for men rules ko (y) :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. funflair

Some people use it with the blade shut.

Martin

17. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

We had the exact same thing happening with ours on our previous van, C250 model,turned out to be the seal (cost around £10 ) very easy to replace, you can tell when the seals are worn as when you push/pull the lever on the toilet to close the slide from the inside of the van you feel a little bit of pressure just before it seals shut, when they are knackered you feel no pressure when the seal closes on the hatch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. funflair

The seal and blade you describe is inside the casette so should not leak into the casette compartment anyway, it might dribble on the way to the dump though so watch your best shoes!! . It is the same seal that seals against the underside of the pan so it could well sort it by default is that is where it's leaking.

Martin

19. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi
    It would appear we had the same problem,Golly,has the right idea,we put two running strips where he wheels track and a strip to support the handle end,sorted.
    When the "Bond" between the cassette and the housing is correct,there is a need to push it quite firmly to locate it back into its position.
    Silly i know,but you are locating it under the casing correctly ?. I found on one unit,the bump stop did not position the cassette properly,so whenn its in position,make sure the openings line up.
    Tea Bag.
    PS. I had to struggle to post this,finding other words for...Hole/s LOL

• Like Like x 2
  20. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

Check the pivot screw for the blade lever, mine came loose & eventually dropped out. Result was that blade didn't fully lift up against the seal & set up a slight leak. all OK once screw refitted & tightened.
    Barrie.