Leaking Thetford toilet (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
My Aviano's toilet has been seeping drops of wee which run down into the toilet cabinet and i to the innards. The smell is not a nice one to have so we purchased a new seal for the cassette and this helped initially but not for long and it has been useless ever since. We now pack stacks of kitchen towel all over the front of the cassette so that nothing leaks into the "guts" of the vehicle, which it had done initially. Every other day or so the towels would be drenched in wee and so the circle went on.
I suspected that the cassette was probably sitting too low to make a tight seal between it and the toilet cabinet so I placed a squared piece of thin cardboard (from a San Miguel lager pack) to lift the cassette. Surprisingly it has worked. Either the cassette is too low or the cabinet is too high.
Obviously a very inconvenient and unacceptable way of sorting this out as we need 2 people to ensure that the cardboard does not ride up the locker whilst the cassette is slid in.
We have our habitational service tomorrow and this is one of my challenges to the workshop.

However, this forum usually has very experiencd and knowledgeable funsters and perhaps someone can help with a more sophisticated solution?

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I had a similar thing back when I bought my old hymer. It turned out that the rubber seal in the top of the cassette had been damaged. It's easy to replace if that is the problem and a periodic spray of thetfords lubricant is a good idea. Good luck

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Buying a new cassette may be the solution but I need to find out if the seal will be totally flush (pardon the pun) with the cabinet. Personally I think that it is sitting fractionally too low. Jockaneezer's theory will be my first port of call. After all, with the new seal that I already have on my existing cassette - also regularly lubricated with Thetford's own product - the actual cassette unit is itself almost new and only a year or two older than the seal bought last year.
Wish me luck!
Thanks all anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
We have exactly the same problem with our Aviano, did you ever manage to fully rectify the problem?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Mine failed similarly last year and upon dismantling it found that the mounting for the swinging big blade had broken, leaving the cassette no sealing. Tried repairing it but eventually had to buy a new cassette. A poor bit of design, with only four small screws holding the blade mount, leading to the screw mounts shearing

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
If you do order a new cassette make sure you get the “Thetford fresh up set”
Along with the cassette you get a complete new seat and cleaning agents, it’s also compatible with both left and right fitting. Ordered a C400 set myself this week and it works out much better value than just ordering the cassette only which strangely can cost £50 more. wwwleisureshopdirect.com Thetford C400@ £89.99

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
If you do order a new cassette make sure you get the “Thetford fresh up set”
Along with the cassette you get a complete new seat and cleaning agents, it’s also compatible with both left and right fitting. Ordered a C400 set myself this week and it works out much better value than just ordering the cassette only which strangely can cost £50 more. wwwleisureshopdirect.com Thetford C400@ £89.99
Yep, my new "fresh up set" arrived today and seems to have done the trick.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Make sure that loo cleaning materials are in accordance with manufacturer's advice. I found my wife was using bleach which adversely affected the seal which gave me the same problem that you had before you changed the seal and put cardboard underneath.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
When it is use ensure that the flap is Either fully closed Or fully open. Anything in between can make them leak a bit. Also before taking out the cassette, open the fully close the flap so that the fluid on top does not dribble down the side

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to clean up such smelly misshaps, kitty litter is your best friend. soaks up the fluids and deodorises and much more sanitary to clean up

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
to clean up such smelly misshaps, kitty litter is your best friend. soaks up the fluids and deodorises and much more sanitary to clean up
That sounds like a good idea, but when I’ve had leaks, it accumulates in little channels at the “inboard” end of the white frame that the cassette sits on, and I think it would be difficult to get damp kitty litter out of there. I use kitchen roll , pushed in with my fingers, then rinse a few times with the red colour Thetford toilet bowl cleaning spray. Then dry with kitchen paper again. The squeamish May want to use Marigolds!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Open the slide before all usage. Should slow down any leakage/seapage.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen instructions on how to use. This may be too much detail for some so read on at your peril. I find fully open is best when using for “number ones “ and fully closed with a cross of 2x 2 sheets of tissue whilst depositing “number twos” then fully open the flap to transfer to the cassette, then flush. This saves having to use a brush to clean the bowl. Again anything between fully open and fully closed can result in leaks.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don’t think I’ve ever seen instructions on how to use. This may be too much detail for some so read on at your peril. I find fully open is best when using for “number ones “ and fully closed with a cross of 2x 2 sheets of tissue whilst depositing “number twos” then fully open the flap to transfer to the cassette, then flush. This saves having to use a brush to clean the bowl. Again anything between fully open and fully closed can result in leaks.
Thank you for sharing that with us all. :Eeek:

Much appreciated............

Seriously, yes - pretty well what a lot of people seem to do and a good way.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Thank you for sharing that with us all. :Eeek:

Much appreciated............

Seriously, yes - pretty well what a lot of people seem to do and a good way.
Happy Bowl Liners are a commercially available alternative to the cross if cheap toilet tissue.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My toilet is 2 years old and has been doing the same as yours. I think it is the 260 with ceramic bowl. The seals in the cassette have been renewed. If you look up above the cassette seals is it all stained?. They are fitting a new complete toilet in two weeks,if under warranty get it renewed

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Happy Bowl Liners are a commercially available alternative to the cross if cheap toilet tissue.
You know something?

If I was a bowl liner, I would not describe myself as happy. Been crapped on by too many managers whose ambition exceeded their talent for that ;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My toilet is 2 years old and has been doing the same as yours. I think it is the 260 with ceramic bowl. The seals in the cassette have been renewed. If you look up above the cassette seals is it all stained?. They are fitting a new complete toilet in two weeks,if under warranty get it renewed
I have the same in this van but four years old and no problem. The last van’s one failed after about 2 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back