leaking MH, water all over the floor. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Well, not over the floor of the Habitation area but in the garage, I just got back from Wales and it was raining a lot between showers.
Today I went into the garage to clear out and there was about a centimetre of water sploshing about all over bottom on the fibreglass floor and on the rubber mat when it was level. I think it must have come through the door seals as there is a direct mark from the roof down the side from the roof join which acts as a dam. It goes straight down to the rear door seal at the back end, the front dam allows the water straight onto the sliding windows where it comes in slightly. There was also a road dirt mark along the bottom of the nearside garage door. I have not washed it down with a hose so that was not the cause.
Thing is I live a long way from any Hymer dealer let alone the one I bought it from, so is it worth the trouble of claiming on the warranty, it would cost a bomb to get up north.
The floor is a complete one piece moulding so only a few screw holes for a trim piece could allow water into the core foam.
I am not happy about it as I paid a lot for it brand new 6 months ago and seems a design fault. So should I just put up with it or go to Hymer when I go past the factory next Let them actually see it and fix it. The stuff in the back was soaked, Silver Screens, toolbox, box of van needs, tyre and jack. I cleared it all out to dry, the contents, then used a workshop squeezee to push the water out then dried it out with towels.
If I bought a car for £80000, and my luggage got wet I would not be happy about it and I think no doubt Many other would complain,
What action would you take or do you think I am just making a fuss?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would take lots of photos and send them to your dealer you bought the van off and claim and see what they respond-this may affect you water ingress warranty if you don't get it sorted officially

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`d make a fuss to get it sorted.
Can you combine a trip to the dealer with a short break to make it worthwhile and not a single purpose journey ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well our 10+year old van doesn't let water in even when I jet wash the door seals so I don't see why you should put up with it on a few van.

Martin

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would take lots of pictures and phone the dealer u bought it from. I suspect they will be just as shocked as u were about the leak.

Ask if they can send a local approved repairer to your home. Or give costs to return the van to them.

At the end of the day it will be Hymer who will approve the repair costs.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If it's under warranty as a brand new vehicle, might it be possible for Hymer to arrange for it to be repaired closer to your home?

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Is it definitely coming through the doors?, Could it be a loose push fit connector in the water system. We had this problem with our previous PVC after about three months from new. Just a thought.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's worth noting that water cannot soak into the foam core of any panel - the foam is closed-cell which means it is no more likely to soak up, or let through, water than the outer skin of the van.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Is it definitely coming through the doors?, Could it be a loose push fit connector in the water system. We had this problem with our previous PVC after about three months from new. Just a thought.

I second that - the only time I found spare water in our MH's boot was leakage from the loo/shower compartment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We know the truth ... you've been nicking the nice tasty Welsh water and its 'leeked' all over. :rofl:

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@GWAYGWAY email the makers direct and the dealer tell them you are not going to be out of pocket or the extra mileage on your m/h and make them send a low loader if it was like my roller team leaking in the garage they replaced the door seal twice then found the joint on the roof and the side leaking sold it back to the dealer now got a dethleffs load of shit hope you get it sorted and write every thing down and who you spoke to ray xx lol still lol :banghead::swear::madder::sicker::sicker:

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@GWAYGWAY forgot to say a bill for the WELSH water is on it's way ray xx lol still lol it only rains when the showers stop the rain in Spain falls manly on the plane the rain in WALES falls every where :sun::sun:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A Hymer leaking?

Surely to God not.

What is this world coming to?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A Hymer ..cant believe it ...not possible . Lol
Neither can I, but unless somebody opened the garage door and threw in a bucket of water it had to come from a leak. The garage is basically a fibreglass box and there is no evidence of water coming from inside at all.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hymer are German aren't they?

Ve not sell ze motor home zat leaks like the Englanders.

Or tell environmental porkies like those fraudsters at Vaulkswagon.

Bloody Germans:mad:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Might be a long shot. Is the water pump located somewhere to the rear of the van and if so are all hoses to/from the pump secure?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
It looks as though you live in Dover, Premier Motorhomes in Birdham are about 125 miles away, would that be too far away? they have an excellent reputation and I am sure they would sort it out for you.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would contact the dealer and tell them. I did that when I had a fault appear in a side panel in our 18 month old Autosleeper. The dealer contacted the manufacturer who sent their service manager to see it, then arranged for a low loader to collect the van, repaired it and delivered it back to me.
If a British manufacturer can do this then I am sure the Germans must have a similar after sales care policy

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
In my experience of water leaks in cars, once water starts leaking in , the capilliary action means it keeps going , even uphill.

Also doors that seal when stationary may not be sealed when moving, when we had our other cabbed MH, anything over 80 and the tops of the door started to pull out.

That amount of water does seem excessive for rain leakage though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly certain it is just the door seal. We had a small amount of water in our garage in our case it was only an egg cup full. Door seal replaced been fine since.
I will point out to all the Hymer sceptics, the garage door in question faces the prevailing weather when parked on the drive. It was a couple of winters ago when wind and rain were so bad we had water running down the inside of the house cavity walls on that side of the house. Good job it wasn't a British built van it would have been full of water to the roof.
As said it won't do any damage due to the superior construction methods used.

Your nearest dealer is only 70 miles away but they are in Belgium.:)

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Any NEW Motor-home, should not leak. And should be "Fit for purpose". You have a strong case, your first port of call is the supplying dealer, who should arrange for the vehicle to be examined at his cost any rectification work should not incur excessive shipping charges. IMV non at all?. If you so want, you may even have a case to REJECT the `van?. See what the dealer attitude is first, then consider your options.

Whatever you do, do, DO NOT be put off. "Fit for purpose" means EXACTLY that!.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
What. Water in a Hymer?
Whatever is the fatherland coming to ?
Is it Brexit Revenge? !!!!

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
As you know Graham I have the same van as you, and had exactly the same problem.

However, there was no leek, what was happening is that the fresh water filling hose I was using was not empty of water when I put it away, and while travelling the water was coming out of the hose and leaving the garage absolutely soaking, swimming in water in fact...

So it might be that the source of your problem is not a leak at all, but something you're storing in the garage that's leeching water over time.

Not saying it's impossible for a Hymer to leak, but I'd be highly suprised if it's leaking in through any holes in the floor or faulty seals.

Must say I was hugely relieved to find the source of my problems, I now blow the hose out before storage and no problems since..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A small word of caution before you get too cross with Hymer, we had an identical situation at our last trip out, I put the hose to fill the fresh water at home, walked away and got distracted, came back to water spewing back out of the inlet, as I would expect, but also about an inch in the garage, luckily for us we have a slight slope on the drive and it was mainly in one corner where there are also a means of escape down the side of the black waste outlet pipe in that area, so in time it all escaped naturally

the cause of ours was a very slightly loose top cap on the fresh tank, coupled with my lack of care in trying to massively over fill the tank o_O

hope yours is easily resolved (y)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Graham, as you know I too have a newish Hymer. We had water in the garage when, as others have said, it came from the filler hose I store there. I now have a system where I join the two end of the hose together whenever I store it.

Like David we did have a problem with the top cap of the fresh water tank. No matter how tight I turned it it always leaked water if I overfilled the tank. Becks sorted it for me under warranty at the first service. With my tank the water did not leak into the garage, but it may do with other models.

Finally do you have an external shower in the garage like we do? It is very easy to catch the tap and turn it on when getting things out of the garage, and, if the hand control on the shower head is also under pressure, or the hose connections are not tight, that could leak water.

In my last Adria coachbuilt we did get a lot of water in the garage which we had trouble tracing. It was coming from the area around the water heater (which was just in front of the garage) and we thought that the one of the water pipes were leaking. Eventually turned out to be the Truma water heater that had sprung a leak in its water tank. That was expensive to fix.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had a similar issue with my Pilote. Filled water tank and flooded the inside of the van. Cause very easily traced to the top screw hatch on the water tank not adequately tightened. As it is a potable water tank I resisted the temptation to put some lubricant on the rubber seal but just cleaned it off, wetted it and then re-tightened. I do that every time the water tank is opened for draining (it is how the plug is accessed). No issues since then. It could be something really simple rather than a major problem as stated above. I certainly wasn't going to drive 3 hours back to Hayes Leisure for it. Hope you get it fixed quickly and conveniently, Graham

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
As you know Graham I have the same van as you, and had exactly the same problem.

However, there was no leek, what was happening is that the fresh water filling hose I was using was not empty of water when I put it away, and while travelling the water was coming out of the hose and leaving the garage absolutely soaking, swimming in water in fact...

So it might be that the source of your problem is not a leak at all, but something you're storing in the garage that's leeching water over time.

Not saying it's impossible for a Hymer to leak, but I'd be highly suprised if it's leaking in through any holes in the floor or faulty seals.

Must say I was hugely relieved to find the source of my problems, I now blow the hose out before storage and no problems since..
I thought that it might be a problem with the hose but it is one of those expandable ones and it lives in a bag all the time as I rarely fill away. and always drain it from one end intil there is nothing in it. The leak seems to be in from the rear seal on the garage, if the van is high at the front the water runs to the back and then straight down the side to the door surround, I and going to pull it off and check that there is sealant between the body and the plastic outer trim.. I do believe that my van had a leak problem t on the window frame seal on the kitchen . and that a funster actually reported it to the dealers who pulled it in and fixed it straight off, it might be the same person also failed to seal the garage frame next to it. Urgent loo break or something and missed it as well. The water gathers at the area under the dump switch and that is where it spread back from but it depends which way it is parked or if level. Far too much for my liking so I will hose test it ASAP then see about it being sorted. A simple gutter piece might suffice at the top to divert water away. The same at the front to keep it away from the sliding window seals. The screws I worry about might allow the water into the area between the garage inner and outer and upset the foam insulation otherwise the garage would be completely sealed floor and just a matter of sucking up the water, with the Karcher window van, it is just a pain as the contents get wet a bamboo mat kept in the was covered in mould so needs fixing.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back