Free Member
Apr 30, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everyone, great to find this forum!

We bought an Autocruise Starfire at Christmas from a local dealer, when we went to look at it there was a leak in the rooflight. We changed our minds at first and decided not to go ahead but the dealer insisted that the leaking skylight was a minor problem and just needed a new seal on the skylight which would be fixed by the service department.

We bought the van but last weekend the leak appeared again.
We returned to the dealer but the technician said that the problem was due to water pooling on the roof and blowing in across the ridge and may not be fixable.
To us this seems total unreasonable!
Anyone had any problems with Autocruise starfire leaking skylights?
Any advice appreciated!
Barry and Leslie

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Weve got a 2011 starfire ,touch wood not had any problems , but have noticed pooling on roof due to roof section being like the bottom of a catamaran so water not able to run off sides of van but the front and back fibreglass panels being sealed to what appears to be slightly higher than flat roof causing pooling . I've tried parking on wedges but it has to be up to the top of quattro's to get 95% of water off (looks rather silly). Don't know what the answer is. Now going to go and have a look inside van as weve had a lot of rain passed few day's like many others because you now got me worried ,hope no prob's. Terry
Keep in touch if you get any answers please

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Water pooling on the roof is quite common on motorhomes as there is no slope for the water to run off unless you're on a hill. Leaking is a different matter and should be fixed quickly before there is expensive damage. The roof lights are almost certainly the same as everyone elses (Fiamma, Heki whatever) and so if others don't leak in the wind yours shouldn't either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Seems like a lot of hoohar to me, as even if water does pool and blow across it should never come in.

I'll PM you a number, this guy will sort you out, he is good, cheap and does things properly!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Never heard such cock n bull. What about driving at 70 mph in driving rain? not fit for purpose!

OP
OP
B

bazgoodman

Free Member
Apr 30, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Leak

Yes, thats what we thought. If ours leaks in heavy rain then all vans with that type of roof light are likely to leak as well.

Barry and Leslie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Yes, thats what we thought. If ours leaks in heavy rain then all vans with that type of roof light are likely to leak as well.

Barry and Leslie

Hi Barry and Leslie and welcome :thumb:Roof lights have about a 2 ins / 50 mm up-stand and no way should water be blowing up and over.I would look elsewhere like the roof-light seal or if I am understanding the post/reply s correctly where the fibreglass panels meet the ali roof panels :thumb: These are notorious places to leak.It is very hard to get a sealant to stick to both F/G and ali.Every time you ask for a sealant to do that you get a smile and sharp sucking in of breath with a try this :Doh:They get sealants like Carabond and Sikaflex that do a good job for 3/6 yrs and then they let go and let water in.:cry:Same with sealing roof lights :Doh: Ok for so long then :Eeek: To counter this I used a Sikaflex type seal (outside edge)and a bog standard GP mastic (inner edge) sort of double seal, but that is another story.Check all the joints on your roof.:thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back