Leak in over cab storage cabinet (1 Viewer)

Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone. We recently purchased a 1999 Peugeot boxer autosleeper and have discovered a leak in the over cab locker. The internal fabric is wet and there us water staining up to almost 30cms up the front lining from the floor of the cabinet. We have checked the roof and drainage hole in the roof black strip, all appears OK. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like all the external joints need resealing.
Just because they look intact doesn't mean they are.

Water may enter at one point on the outside but not actually reappear at the same point inside....It may follow joint lines etc and appear a few feet (or more) from the entry point.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Top windows might also need resealing, quite an easy diy job, or not expensive to have professionally done (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys. Sorry to be thick, but exactly what external joints? Where the high top joins the body? My husband has already sealed the joint right across the top of the windscreen. We are expecting rain tomorrow, so we'll see if that's helped at all.

RELIANTSCIMITAR

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15years
hi there

Having stripped quite a few Autosleeper high tops for spares I can say that when they cut the roof out to bond on the high top, they do not do any rustproofing as such. It is fairly common for me to find serious rust in the roof structure due to poor build practices.

I would strip out the cupboard lining and check the van steel roof structure.

Cheers - mike

?

Deleted User
Any roof ariel up front. Rubber seal could be shot. When you notice if the van is on a slight hill facing down the water could be getting in further back and running forwards before you notice.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would be resealing the top of the window and lower roof joint. make sure to use a urethane based sealer like sikaflex though as silicone based sealants as used in bathrooms will not bond correctly. Although the sealant may look sound water can still get past

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi there

Having stripped quite a few Autosleeper high tops for spares I can say that when they cut the roof out to bond on the high top, they do not do any rustproofing as such. It is fairly common for me to find serious rust in the roof structure due to poor build practices.

I would strip out the cupboard lining and check the van steel roof structure.

Cheers - mike

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Actually thought about doing this as it fairly obvious that the water is soaking up the lining from the front, but as you say, difficult to actually see what's going on with the lining in place. Looks tricky though

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Any roof ariel up front. Rubber seal could be shot. When you notice if the van is on a slight hill facing down the water could be getting in further back and running forwards before you notice.
Thanks will get up there and check it out..trying everywhere at this point

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
i would be resealing the top of the window and lower roof joint. make sure to use a urethane based sealer like sikaflex though as silicone based sealants as used in bathrooms will not bond correctly. Although the sealant may look sound water can still get past
Thanks for the advice.

?

Deleted User
Thanks will get up there and check it out..trying everywhere at this point
Im barking up the wrong tree mate. Looking at other vans like yours the ariel was moved to the O/S wing. I was thinking they may have put it up top but then that is fiberglass and would make a crap ground now i think more about it.

OP
OP
Sarahbrightvan
Jun 15, 2016
West Cumbria
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Im barking up the wrong tree mate. Looking at other vans like yours the ariel was moved to the O/S wing. I was thinking they may have put it up top but then that is fiberglass and would make a crap ground now i think more about it.
No worries..actually thought you meant the TV ariel lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back