leak from sill bodywork on duetto

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by isitfriday, May 26, 2010.

1. isitfriday

isitfriday Funster

this is on a 97 Ford Duetto,
    i have noticed a leak on the drivers side coming from two places below the cooker region and further up nearer the air vent for hot water boiler. The water is coming from in-between the two metal panals that join at the sill edge.
    (the van bodywork rather than underneath from any purpose made hole) The edge has small manufacturered gaps along the whole of van side. it is an intermittent dripping.
    seems to start when i tried out the hot water, also there are rust spots under the hot water vent.

i would like to check the water pipes that go to and from this boiler and along the side of the van but where abouts are these placed and how do you get to them? Can you get to them?

thank you

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi it could be dew gathering on the seam then dripping ? If you want try to follow the pipes from the boiler to the taps both sink and loo / shower ,place either dry newspaper under any pipes what you can get to and wrap loo roll around ant joints.This should tell you if you have any leaks :thumb:
    terry

3. Haggispeed

Haggispeed Read Only Funster

Access to the pipe work is available in two places. If you pull the bench seat bed forward you will see a panel with a hole in it which you can pull out to get access to the hot water heater / tank and see some of the pipework there. Second place is in the cupboard under the oven where the switch for the heater and the charging transformer is. Undo the 4 screws in the corners of the back panel and remove it, it's a bit of a fiddle but AS were quite thoughtful and the panel is hinged vertically down the middle. Behind this you'll see some more pipework and the water pump / filter unit.
    So you can't quite see all the pipework but most of it. I always check the water pump after the winter freeze just in case. Strange that it only seems to happen when you're using the hot water ?
    I have the same few surface rust spots below my heater panel on the outside.

Trasits of that age are prone to rust, it could just be that water has built up between the sills, there are rubber bungs on the inner of the sill underneath, ideally though you need the van up on a four post lift to get easy access. I checked mine last time it was in for MOT.
    Hope that helps a little.