Leak from push fit 't' connector HELP!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Goldilocks40, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Goldilocks40

Goldilocks40

Morning all
    Just trying out our van for first time and we have got a big leak from a 'T' connector after the pump (rear dinette got flooded last night) would really appreciate any advice please on sorting this please.
    Dawn

2. cranky

cranky Funster

push fit rely on the pressure to seal the joints. usually when they leak it is because there isnt enough slack in the pipe and when the pressure is off the joint comes apart. Once they go it is normally best to replace but if thats not possible check the O ring inside it is not kinked at all and the pipe is not damaged at all. You may need to cut a bit off the end and remake the joint. Hope you can sort it.
    C

3. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

first thing u must do is turn off the pump .then try and push the pipe in to the tee piece a bit further if that dont work drain the pipes and take the tee off u do that by pushing the round ring on each of the connecters in towards the centre of tee and clean and then refit .hope this helps turn all taps off then put on pump bleed slowly through cold water tap and then hope its ok .good luck.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the end of the pipe must be cut at 90deg to the pipe and the first inch must be unmarked....even scratches can cause leaks.

if it still leaks the damage may be in the T piece so needs replacing.

5. Goldilocks40

Goldilocks40

Thanks guys, we are off to local caravan shop to get parts this morning...on a fully serviced pitch so have tap and water on hand.....feels like we're camping in a tent again lol x

6. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

I agree with all of the above but I would consider swapping the fittings and pipe to the Hep 2o fittings and pipe as these cannot unmount in the same fashion.

This will be my winter project as I have had a similar problem with these fittings weeping from time to time also whilst I am swapping them over I can insulate all the pipes.:thumb:

7. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

You say that you were using the van for the first time. Does this mean that it has been stood for a while? If so, then it's possible that the O ring could have 'set'. In which case it will need replacing.

8. Biged

Biged Read Only Funster

Change the fitting, do not bother trying to do anything with the original.

Do not bother with Hep2O, Speedfit are what you want, I have fitted thousands of these and they are the easiest to fit and can be dismounted (thats a plus point, not a minus)

You can get Speedfit at any plumbers merchants, B&Q if you want to be robbed or eBay, they come in various sizes, just measure your pipe dia. If the pipe is manky you may need to add a bit in which case you will need one or two straight connectors to add a new bit and some pipe. If its plastic pipe you may need a couple of inserts if metal not :thumb:

Any problems just let me know and i will try to help

9. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. wasp

wasp Funster

I got some in Mansfield from my local merchant also got 12 mm red an blue pipe:Smile::Smile::Smile:

11. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

most of them around here don't seem to stock any below 15mm , seems they only cater for standard household sizes. can only get the 12mm stuff from local caravan places or our usual supplier Grass Routes Leisure

12. Biged

Biged Read Only Funster

Just search eBay for 12mm speedfit, there are a multitude :thumb:

13. hoot007

hoot007 Funster

We had same problem in a difficult position it only needed pushing in another 1/4ins needs a lot of force for a pidling plastic pipe

John

14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I had the same problem on our narrowboat, but just couldnt get the 'positional push' to shove the thing in a bit more, so I made up a string tourniquet, and wound the bl**dy thing into place. Worked a treat. :thumb: