Le Tour 2011

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by kickstart, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Fancy going down to watch the last three stages this year, Alp De Heuz 22nd July,Time Trial Grenoble 23rd and the final stage into Paris on the 24th anybody else there ?

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

complete novice to this but i am interested more info please

3. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We have watched the start at Strassbourg a few years ago and last year we stayed on an Aire at Maruiel sur Auy parked right at the side of a canal, and biked into Epernay at one of the stages, it was so hot.
    We will not be watching this year as going to europe earlier this year and taking our dog on the tunnel.

When does the tour start this year?

4. kickstart

kickstart Funster

5. sedge

sedge Funster

Well I don't see how you can physically get from one to the other and get in place to see consecutive stages in the time available?

Isn't it the Alpe d'Huez they (Eurosport) always reckon you need to be up the top about a week beforehand?

6. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Yes Jenny you do if you want to be at the roadside but there are campsites nearby I am told,the time trial the folowing day is round Grenoble,wich is only an hour away then its 4 hours to Paris for the last stage.

7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

having watched the Le Tour

Having watched it come through Tunbridge Wells twice... here it comes..... there it goes...I prefer to watch it in the comfort of the armchair and see all the stages on TV. most of us really want to see the last few kilometers with the sprints to the line.. Or the King of the Mountains.. which due to the way the riders/teams deal with the challange means only tv can allow you to see all the drama rather than a small break away passing followed by the rest of the riders.

I can understand the feeling of being in the middle of it.. but when we had the shop in Tunbridge Wells on the route, it was a bit of a let down and boy did we lose business due to our wonderful police closing the town down all day and barriers across most of the cross roads..caused havoc and hell.. but I will watch it on TV as I have said.. love it..

Bob:Eek!:

8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Bumpy Ride !!

I see the start is at the Passage du Gois !!! I wonder if they will be riding on the slippery cobbles...That could be a bit painful !! :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Thats right, the few days camping before the riders pass by is the reason for going:thumb: The bikes passing is just a good beginning of the end of the large, loud party:BigGrin:

10. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

What a bummer !!

Just checked out the route and they are going across the cobbles !! When I went across in the MH stuff fell out of various lockers !!! :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

11. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

We watched the Grand Depart, the first stage and a mountain stage this year.

Saw all the teams and riders on the time trial and on the mountain stage saw all the cuts and bruises close up including an Astana team member sliding right by :Rofl1:

Its a great atmosphere and if you can join the orange army of the Dutch - Boy do they know how to party:Rofl1:

Sonja

12. WillH

WillH Funster

I caught some stages a few years ago and still believe it's one of the most fantastic sights in any sport. Okay, you can see more from the comfort of your armchair but the atmosphere at the roadside is incredible. I recommend it to anyone who has the chance to go, it's party time when the caravan comes through.

Bill