LDV Convoy insurance problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by oldhippychick, Mar 4, 2015.

1. oldhippychick

oldhippychick Read Only Funster

Hi
    I've a Mazda Bongo which is insured under a motorhome policy and have bought an old LDV Convoy 17 seater minibus which I want to convert into a motorhome eventually, but this will take some months. I have had all the seats removed apart from 3 in the front of the van but cannot seem to get any insurer to take it on as it is - has anyone please got any ideas??

2. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Adrian Flux should be able to help.

You may also want to check out this site.
    http://sbmcc.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx

3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Can you not get insurance on it as just a LDV convoy van, then once full conversion is complete, including re-classification with dvla obtain insurance as a motorhome. Sorry if that is what you meant by insurance not entertaining it as a van in the first instance, but I can see there would be a problem trying to insure as a motorhome when only seats have been removed and no conversion having been made. Just a thought but maybe someone with knowledge of doing these projects may be able to offer better advice.

4. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Adrian Flux will insure a project as it proceeds but there is a timescale to have it done....3 months i think.
    Once one has a bed( 6'1") fitted, cooking facilities and a washbasin....can then be classified as a motor caravan and you then register it as such. Continuing with the conversion at will.
    Bearing in mind if one converts a panel van it would need a side window to qualify as a motor caravan.

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

More to it than that now.

A bed, which can convert from seating and nonspecific size, a wardrobe/large cupboard.
    A table (can be removable but fixings must be part of van..ie: screwed or bolted to floor or wall.
    Suitable seating.
    A water supply (does not need to be pumped)

And the outside now must look like a motorhome...not a van with a window or a minibus.
    An awning, a TV aerial, a fridge or boiler outlet grill, graphics etc all count.

The days of a white van with a mattress chucked in the back then registered as a motorhome are long gone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sedge

sedge Funster

Just to be a bit more specific about that table, it can be a fold down one, as long as there are fixings for it folded down, attached to the van. That's what our Bessacar was like - no fixed table, but the table supplied was fixed fold down, to the inside, side wall of the wardrobe when not being used.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I think the top and bottom of this is that you can't just rip the seats out and call it a motorhome. There has to be quite substantial modification to show it is a mobile living accommodation to fulfil the requirements needed to class it as such (y).

• Like Like x 1