LDV Camper vans

Discussion in 'All the Rest' started by woodsmoke, Oct 21, 2010.

1. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Read Only Funster

Hallo
    Anyone know anything about LDVs? Looking at one with Ford engine, so hopefully engine bombproof but what's LDV bodywork like and how are they to drive?

2. tofo

tofo Funster

they were popular with the post office
    seem popular with the self building fraternity also

jim remove this link if inapropriate have a look at www.sbmcc.co.uk
    i belong to hear and there:thumb:

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

The older ones are ok, usually suffer from diesel pump/injector probs than anything else.

They are underpowered, under geared and thus VERY tiring to drive any distance! You are up and down the gears, and will be ready for your bed and aching like you have run a marathon after a few hundred miles.

The new ones are a little more powerful, but suffer with rear door handles snapping (if you try to pull when door is locked - very brittle and cheap), also the window motors in these are far to powerful for the bonded doors. If you press up instead of down - then you split the door in two!:thumb:

But they are good and functional for a basic starter, there are worse things! Just not advised if you want to take on europe - it will do it, but you will feel it!

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not very high on your list of favourite base vehicles then :Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. rainbow chasers

You get what you pay for - I drove my brothers' old one 147 miles, and thought i was going to die, I was shattered! I am used to driving all over the country in all sorts of vehicles, but my god - that nearly killed me!

Forgot to mention engine mounts - they vibrate quite a bit, so they go fairly rapidly too - usual sign is difficulty engaging gears.

The new ones, I have recovered quite a few with split doors....the motor pushes the window up too far and seperates the door frame from the skin! Quite amusing that one!:thumb:

They are functional though - they will go on, but local travel or short bursts are best.

6. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Read Only Funster

Hmm...Maybe I'll give it a miss...

Thanks very much everyone for all the feedback!

7. rainbow chasers

Have a look at a transit, or even a boxer (have arm rests too) - good thing with something like a boxer is - there are plenty of scrappies around you can get some motorhome swivel seats!:thumb:

Newer shape transits are quite cheap in the auctions now as well - from £600 - look underneath though, as these are commercial and not undersealed.

Also look for something like a hi-ace - these are as bullet proof as you will get!

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

What difference does underseal make?

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Respect to JJ then....isn't he driving his stealth LDV panel van through France towards Spain/Portugal at the moment?

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If I were looking for a van to convert it would be a Mercedes T1, various models. with dual rear wheel drive, made until 1995

solid, reliable diesel engines that do stat trek mileages, no electronics to let you down and can be repaired by a blacksmith.. proper vans.. sadly, good examples are becoming rare but always a few on evilbay . Look for ex minibuses owned by the council.

Nice example of a 410 ready for conversion, at lot of van for £3k http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-410-D-Minibus-Band-Bus-Camper-Van-65k-T-T-/140467764271?pt=UK_Minibuses_Buses_Coaches&hash=item20b487fc2f

11. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

His van is an Iveco Daily (unless his LDV is so stealth that it is invisible :Rofl1:)

Rasmus

12. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Any good points to them then

13. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Ah yes...so it is :Blush:
    I..V..E..C..O
    L..D..V

Hey, I got one letter correct! :BigGrin:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi, I used LDV vans as my work vans -at the time they were bigger and in my opinion better than trannys :thumb: with the bonus that they were half the price of trannys ( 2 nd hand ):Rofl1:They did not rot underneath unlike trannys and were reliable :thumb: In 96 they made Convoys putting older style transit engines in :thumb: but the downside to that was it suddenly became the same price as trannys :cry:The newer Maxus ones are the ones that the doors drop off :Eeek:
    As a self builder I would look at MERC / VW -IVECO-,MASTER- FIAT/PUG /CIT Followed closly by the LDV for room then the tranny :thumb: with the last 2 places reversed if you can get the 2000 new shape tranny on your budget :thumb: Remember IF you are doing a nice conversion it costs the same to convert a new van as an old one so get the best / newest you can afford.The LDV will not make the same money as a transit but on size alone it is better for converting :thumb:
    terry

15. DavyS

DavyS Read Only Funster

Hi, I agree with Terry. I,ve owned an 02 plate Convoy ex 17 seat minibus for 2 years now and am doing a self build conversion (my partner is disabled so we can build it to suit our paticular needs). Why an L.D.V.? I work for a bus company which operate a varied fleet of vehicles. All our 17 seat vehicles are L.D.V's having previously operated Merc 04,05 and 06 types and Transits. Mercs are good but costly when it comes to spare parts. Transits are pretty much bombproof mechanically but everything aft of the backaxle rots in as little as 3 yrs. so on to L.D.V, the Convoys at least have the tried and tested Ford engine, gearbox and back axle (2.5 Banana in earlier models or the 2.4 Duratorque in later ones). L.D.V. metalwork is generally of a lighter construction than a tranny but doesn,t rust anywhere like as fast. Parts are plentiful and cheap as chips compared to the other makes. My 2.4 Duratorque returns 27 mpg regularly and cruises all day at 60 (do you really need to go any faster with a camper?). D.I.Y. maintainace is a cinch (as easy as a 1970s car). A full 6ft bed can fit across the body (the widest of it's class in it's day). Like all types they do have a few negative points, 2.5 Banana's can be slow and lack pulling power(sticking EGR valves are often the cause, just clean it or blank it off). Duratorques can eat starters (the D.M.F is the cause here and the old 2.5 solid flywheels can be fitted). Cab floors are prone to rusting around the seat mounts (caused by leaking screen and wiper seals soaking the foam-backed rubber matting). Roofs can leak at the roof/sidewall join, poor sealing of the one piece resin roof moulding to the body top rail at the factory is the cause, just reseal. Heavy steering or wandering is most likely down to either low tyre presures (54psi) and/or a lack of grease in the stubs (yes these have good old fashioned grease nipples) give em a couple of pumps every 2/3 months. Later ones have ABS and the wheel sensors seem to be prone to failiure. this doesn't affect normal brake operation but bear in mind the ABS also replaces the load sensing function on the rear axle of the later models. The standard seats are well suited to a builders van but I have fitted a pair of front seats from a Peugeot 806 complete with their bases so now have armrests, recline, height adjust and underseat storage bins and they come with rotater plates as standard for less than 100 quid a pair. At the end of the day an LDV will get you there and back (eventually for some) at minimum cost.

16. Glynn

Glynn Read Only Funster

Ive had two LDV vans , they are very "agricultural" to drive & very noisy.
    I wouldn't have another.