Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi
We have just come back from Spain on the LD Lines ship and I thought I would give my thoughts on it.
The ship I believe is the old Birkenhead to Belfast ship. It is old and very basic but clean with good size cabins and comfortable beds. The food is not the best and not cheap as are the drinks. ( Mug of tea in the bar is best value).
Both the loading and unloading takes for ever and the loading crew don't have any idea as to customer service but are all very polite However the people in the passenger section are very obliging. Would we use it again? Yes ,if the price is right :thumb:

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Thanks for that feedback . We have a return booking in July , reassuring it is not as basic as first thought

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
nice to know.can I ask the price please.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Thanks for the info. We are off on Tuesday evening and have read several negative reports, so your version was quite uplifting. It's our first time crossing Bay of Biscay so calm is what we want!!! We paid £600 for a return ticket with cabin. How did your food in the fridge and freezer survive as there is no hook up on board?

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
:thumb:
Are you on the Poole to Gijon ferry next Tuesday?

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
nice to know.can I ask the price please.:thumb::thumb:

We originally booked one way with BF for mid July costing £600 , but then we heard about LD doing the same route but from Poole so tried them and it came out at £645 return going out on 12th July returning 27th July.
We lost our £25 deposit to BF so the total cost is £670 which I'm more than happy about

Paul

OP
OP
Portland

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hi

Thanks for your replies. As to the cost it was much less than B/F but go on line for your own quote. Don't tell anyone this but we left the fridge on gas no problems :winky:and no we are not on Gijon ferry. I repeat it is very slow in loading/unloading but you can overnight on Poole docks by the café £5.Cheers :ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
Best to check directly with LD lines but the facilities on the Norman Asturias are described under St.Nazaire/Gijon in this:

Broken Link Removed

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we brought a 12 volt cold box.and a spare 12 volt battery.wich we connected the box to. we also froze some plastic ice blocks.and put them in as well.good result.did not bother on the way back.::bigsmile:

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
we used the NA to go down to Santander.........never again
we were held up for 2 hrs in sight of Spain because of a list (@10-15') which was due to the 'high winds' (hardly a white top to be seen).
the damn thing rolled and lurched about like a drunken pig and unless you take food on board you'll get scalped.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can anyone confirm if there is a Lift for Disabled/Wheelchair users. And possible a cabin which would be suitable.

I hope so. Smudger and myself are booked on it next month. Smudger did speak to someone and booked a disabled cabin.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
[HI][/HI]
Hi

Thanks for your replies. As to the cost it was much less than B/F but go on line for your own quote.[HI] Don't tell anyone this but we left the fridge on gas no problems :[/HI]Wink:and no we are not on Gijon ferry. I repeat it is very slow in loading/unloading but you can overnight on Poole docks by the café £5.Cheers :ROFLMAO:

I will respect Rule 1 and just say that this is not the wisest of things to do. :Doh:

Had any vehicle near to you on the car deck, come on board with a full fuel tank or had a fuel leak, and with the ferry, not uncommonly, rolling whilst crossing Biscay, fuel could spill onto deck, and if some vapours on the car deck were attracted by your lovely little gas fridge's combustion, it could have given you, and everyone, on the ship a very nasty and final wake up call.....

It is not a silly rule to peeve off motor campers, it is a safety issue.

Why not just have your fridge and contents pre frozen or well chilled, stick a few bottles of frozen water or ice blocks inside, and with the fridge door remaining unopened for 24 hours, you will simply not have a problem.:thumb:

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We had no problem leaving fridge off for the crossing as we left a freezer block in freezer and 1 in the fridge nothing had started to defrost when we landed.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back