LD Lines Newhaven - Dieppe (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Anyone have any experience of LD Lines? in particular Newhaven - Dieppe route?

Never used or know anything of them and am planning summer holiday to France.

Cheers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use Newhaven Dieppe, 20% discount if over 60 cheap if you book in advance. Boats are OK nothing special , we live close to Newhaven so it suits us and can save 400 miles on a round trip. Also can save a few quid paying in Euro.

Reactions: f6c

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I use them 1st time last year as I live in Seaford 6 miles down coast,nice seating and good condition food OK saves me 170 miles each way also 2 Aires next to ferry in Dieppe if you want to stay for you travel on

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We are using this service for the first time this summer, coming from Somerset anything has to be better than last years experiences of traffic, delays and migration problems at Dover/Calais and it is a nice, picturesque route down through the South Downs for us. Looking forward to it. :happy:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've used it a few times in a car and motorhome, very easy and means we can avoid the M25. Basic boat, have had a cabin once for an overnight crossing and beds no worse than Brittany ferries. Food was OK although we usually take a picnic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I always used LD lines Dieppe to Newhaven. Found the ship comfortable ( joined their loyalty scheme and was allocated a free cabin on next crossing) Dieppe port easy to access and although Portsmouth was closer for my destination in UK, Newhaven only about 40 minutes more and cheaper.
Not had a bad experience with LD Lines.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I used this crossing about 16 years ago with a motorbike, since then we've mostly used Brittany Ferries because the Western crossings suit us better. We're using Newhaven/Dieppe again in a couple of days time with the MH. Now we can stop overnight in our own vehicle and time is no longer an issue we can benefit from using the cheaper crossings.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Their prices are WAY cheaper than all the competition, how do they do it? Are they subsidised or are all the rest overcharging?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Their prices are WAY cheaper than all the competition, how do they do it? Are they subsidised or are all the rest overcharging?
I think Dieppe chamber of commerce or council subsidise them, DFDS nearly pulled the route last year when funding was nearly withdrawn. They are still running on borrowed time at the moment safe until November 2016.

Deleted User
LD lines have a history of undercutting prices on subsidised routes and pulling the plug when subsidies are ended.
Gijon - St. Nazaire
Poole - Santander

Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
We will be using the route in a couple of weeks time and have used it for the last couple of years. We take the day sailing as we prefer it to overnight. We don't bother with buying food as we picnic. Its an easy crossing, and as already said there are 2 good motorhome aires in Dieppe (both have been revamped recently - and are much better for it) lets hope they keep going - there was apparently an issue when we booked in October - we couldn't book a return because they weren't accepting bookings past 31 March - it seems to be ok now as we can get back in June for £97.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
- we couldn't book a return because they weren't accepting bookings past 31 March - it seems to be ok now as we can get back in June for £97.
You have just reminded me to book my return, you can now book up to the end of November.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back